Religion in 2012 Election

nodoginnafight

No Party Affiliation
Dec 15, 2008
Georgia
Will Mormoism get the Rev. Wright treatment in the media? Probably not.
The far right are the ones who try to drag religion into equation and this time they have a vested interest in shutting up about it.
The left has a tradition of "let's keep religion out of this" so I don't see them trying to exploit this potentially fertile avenue.

The far right are the ones who try to drag religion into equation and this time they have a vested interest in shutting up about it.
The left has a tradition of "let's keep religion out of this" so I don't see them trying to exploit this potentially fertile avenue.

Yeah I doubt the main stream media will ignore Romney's mormonism like they did with Obama and Rev Wrights connection.

Yeah I doubt the main stream media will ignore Romney's mormonism like they did with Obama and Rev Wrights connection.

Yeah - if I hadn't looked real hard - I would have never known

Sure if you listen to Right Wing Talk Radio or Fox news you heard about it, but if you listen to the Main Stream Media like most normal americans (you know the nbc network, abc, new york times, boston globe) you would have had a hard time hearing about it.

Mormonism will become the new Nazism.. wait for it...

Sure if you listen to Right Wing Talk Radio or Fox news you heard about it, but if you listen to the Main Stream Media like most normal americans (you know the nbc network, abc, new york times, boston globe) you would have had a hard time hearing about it.

If you had a more balanced diet of information, you would realize that EVERY news outlet covered Rev. Wright extensively. Venture out from your Fox cocoon every now and then and you will learn a lot.

If you had a more balanced diet of information, you would realize that EVERY news outlet covered Rev. Wright extensively. Venture out from your Fox cocoon every now and then and you will learn a lot.

LOL they barely touched on it and you know that. I watch, listen to, and read multiple news outlets and can tell from your comment that I just quoted that you do not.

LOL they barely touched on it and you know that. I watch, listen to, and read multiple news outlets and can tell from your comment that I just quoted that you do not.

No they did not "barely touch on it" They ran hour long specials delving into it. And if you got out of that Fox shell you would know that.

so where are the hour-long specials on Mormonism.

Where was the Fox coverage on Cindy Mccain getting fired for stealing drugs from her employers. I actually know folks who only watch Fox that NEVER knew that happened. Think Fox would have mentioned it if it had been Michelle Obama?????

No they did not "barely touch on it" They ran hour long specials delving into it. And if you got out of that Fox shell you would know that.

He probably does know that. I suspect that from his point of view, running an hour-long special about it IS "barely touching it," while harping on it 24/7 until it became obvious the story wasn't going to prevent Obama's election is giving it balanced and proper coverage.

He probably does know that. I suspect that from his point of view, running an hour-long special about it IS "barely touching it," while harping on it 24/7 until it became obvious the story wasn't going to prevent Obama's election is giving it balanced and proper coverage.

Doing one story on it and not bringing it up ever again when other things that relate to it come up in the process of vetting the two canidates is barely covering it. Right wing radio and fox news did the other extreme and talked about it 24/7.

I never described either one as balanced and proper, I just told the truth without the partisan spin that you two obvious liberals have in your opinions.

Doing one story on it and not bringing it up ever again when other things that relate to it come up in the process of vetting the two canidates is barely covering it. Right wing radio and fox news did the other extreme and talked about it 24/7.

I never described either one as balanced and proper, I just told the truth without the partisan spin that you two obvious liberals have in your opinions.

Yep. As I thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
Irony Alert: "I just told the truth without the partisan spin that you two obvious liberals have in your opinions."

ironic? I'm the one who initially said right wing talk radio and fox talked about it all the time while the rest of the MSM basically ignored it, the irony is what exactly?

Doing one story on it and not bringing it up ever again when other things that relate to it come up in the process of vetting the two canidates is barely covering it.

Yep. As I thought.

1) your alteration of my comment puts my comments in a dishonest light. By doing so you have effectively misrepresented my statement. I've asked you half a dozen times to stop this.

2) Re-read what I actually said in context and your "response" falls apart

The way I see it it that Dems would love to see it become an issue, but you won't see obama himself mention Romney's faith because that would bring Reverend Jeremiah back into the mix.
I'm sure DNC people are locked in rooms in some basement somewhere watching videos of Mormon sermons, looking for words similar to "God Damn America".

1) your alteration of my comment puts my comments in a dishonest light. By doing so you have effectively misrepresented my statement. I've asked you half a dozen times to stop this.

I did NOT misrepresent your statement, as the part snipped was a secondary comment whose absence in no way changed the meaning of the part quoted. And every time you have asked me to give you special treatment I don't give any other poster here, I have refused. I refuse again. If it bothers you that much, put me on ignore.

You are in effect saying that the mainstream media failed in their coverage of Rev. Wright because they did not deliberately present the subject in a way that could maximize its potential for political damage to the Obama campaign. Don't bother denying this; that's exactly the meaning of the part I snipped out. (See, if anything I made you look better and less partisan.) The mainstream media outlets gave the subject of Rev. Wright what any reasonable person not motivated politically would consider in-depth coverage, given that we're talking about television which by nature is never really in depth about anything.

EDIT: Actually, I left in that part, come to think of it. What I snipped was your own patting yourself on the back, which deserves to be snipped entirely and altogether.

To call this "barely touching" the subject is absurd.

Last edited:
The way I see it it that Dems would love to see it become an issue, but you won't see obama himself mention Romney's faith because that would bring Reverend Jeremiah back into the mix.

More likely because it would make Obama look unpresidential. I really don't think the Obama campaign worries all that much about Wright. it's mainly an issue among those who would never vote for Obama anyway. I watched Wright's sermon in which the phrase "God damn America" was used and, allowing for the fact that he's a Christian, I agreed with mot of it.

I agree Obama won't say anything about Romney's Mormonism himself. I suspect he's hoping, probably with good cause, that evangelical Christians out there will bring the matter up, hurting Romney with his own base.

Forum List

Back