Religion, Culture and Homophobia

obama is pushing 2 conflicting societies to live peaceably together.
Sorta like starlings and woodpeckers.

What groups would those be?

Bigots have to learn to live with others. *shrug*

And the GOP are trying to get us to live with radical Christians. Two conflicting societies. Look at what those god damn Christians have to say about gays.

"'If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads. for they are guilty of a capital offense.

If there is a man who lies with his daughter-in-law, both of them shall surely be put to death; they have committed incest, their bloodguiltiness is upon them.

If there is a man who marries a woman and her mother, it is immorality; both he and they shall be burned with fire, so that there will be no immorality in your midst.…

It is interesting to find out how "accepted" homosexuals are around the world. Meanwhile, the mass murder terror attack yesterday was done by a guy who not only yelled allah akbar but called the police to tell them about his allegiance to ISIS. To suggest that global attitudes about homosexuality drove this freak to kill a bunch of people, seems to me to be a non sequitur.

Homophobia - regardless of the religion behind it - is what drove this person to do what he did. He hated homosexuals and I'm not sure what difference it makes whether he yells "allah akbar" or "halleluja".
Not to mention that a large segment of this country applauds people for speaking hatred against gays, and there is no way the Orlando murderer wasn't influenced by that.
So, this guy never hated homosexuals nor had an inkling to pledge allegiance to ISIS till he got a load of the USA's attitude toward "gays". Wow.

I tend to blame murderers for doing murder, not the culture in which their victims live.

You do. But incendiary statements about how gays are aberrant and deserve to die from both radical Muslims and radical Christians inflame and motivate their less stable adherents.

It is interesting to find out how "accepted" homosexuals are around the world. Meanwhile, the mass murder terror attack yesterday was done by a guy who not only yelled allah akbar but called the police to tell them about his allegiance to ISIS. To suggest that global attitudes about homosexuality drove this freak to kill a bunch of people, seems to me to be a non sequitur.

Homophobia - regardless of the religion behind it - is what drove this person to do what he did. He hated homosexuals and I'm not sure what difference it makes whether he yells "allah akbar" or "halleluja".
Not to mention that a large segment of this country applauds people for speaking hatred against gays, and there is no way the Orlando murderer wasn't influenced by that.
So, this guy never hated homosexuals nor had an inkling to pledge allegiance to ISIS till he got a load of the USA's attitude toward "gays". Wow.

I tend to blame murderers for doing murder, not the culture in which their victims live.

You do. But incendiary statements about how gays are aberrant and deserve to die from both radical Muslims and radical Christians inflame and motivate their less stable adherents.
I don't know how anyone reads the anti gay stuff in lividicas and doesn't realize those are the words of Jewish elders, not the words of a God.

Christians must believe all the stuff said in the old testament to be factual, otherwise their religion is spawned from a lie. But then most Christians I hop say that's for God to judge and as long as they believe in Jesus then that's OK because everyone sins.

So the Christian position in time will soften I'll bet you. It has to. But how will Islam?

I don't know how anyone reads the anti gay stuff in lividicas and doesn't realize those are the words of Jewish elders, not the words of a God.

Christians must believe all the stuff said in the old testament to be factual, otherwise their religion is spawned from a lie. But then most Christians I hop say that's for God to judge and as long as they believe in Jesus then that's OK because everyone sins.

So the Christian position in time will soften I'll bet you. It has to. But how will Islam?

i'm not going to discuss who wrote the bible. the reality is that christians take the bible literally, which jews do not... at least not modern jews.

what i always found weird was christian rejecting most of the rules in leviticus but finding that one resonant.

i'm not going to discuss who wrote the bible. the reality is that christians take the bible literally, which jews do not... at least not modern jews.

what i always found weird was christian rejecting most of the rules in leviticus but finding that one resonant.
I love it that jews question the very existence of god. I heard that on orange is the new black and a couple of you have confirmed it. I love the honesty. My mother always said if she could pick she would have been a Jew but we were born Greek Orthodox.

I love it that jews question the very existence of god. I heard that on orange is the new black and a couple of you have confirmed it. I love the honesty. My mother always said if she could pick she would have been a Jew but we were born Greek Orthodox.

jews question everything. although i'm pretty sure a belief in G-d is part of judaism.

what i will say is that one of my favorite stories is about a group[ of rabbis arguing over the meaning of a rule in the talmud. G-d came down and joined them and said, I'll tell you what i meant when i created that rule. the rabbis said, no thanks, G-d. You gave it to us. we'll decide what the rule means.

jews question everything. although i'm pretty sure a belief in G-d is part of judaism.

what i will say is that one of my favorite stories is about a group[ of rabbis arguing over the meaning of a rule in the talmud. G-d came down and joined them and said, I'll tell you what i meant when i created that rule. the rabbis said, no thanks, G-d. You gave it to us. we'll decide what the rule means.

All religion is made up bullshit.

Well I love it that in a round about way, that's what Jews are admitting when they debate the existence of god. They've come to the same conclusion I did. Maybe that Moses story is made up and maybe there is no god. If you are a thinking person and have never seen any evidence of something, how does that not go through your mind?

But it doesn't go through Christians minds. They take the Old Testament literally when the people who wrote the book don't even necessarily take the thing literally. So all the crazy stuff said in the old testament is clearly man made. Most Jews get that. But conservative Christians can't get that. That's because they need the bible to be literal. Otherwise the prophecy that god was going to send his son is just a story. But that can't be if Jesus is really the son of god.

So imagine you write a story that you know is made up and you write in prophecies and all of the sudden one of those prophecies comes true. You know its bullshit but how to do you call bullshit without admitting your story is a lie too?

a tiny factoid germane to this discussion----
Islamo Nazis of the islamo flavor are INTENSELY INTERESTED in that which jews do and say------for "GOSSIP" reasons. It is true that jews ---even in yeshivas debate ABOUT G-D------which --according to the Islamic partyline PROVES---that islam is the SUPERIOR creed-----because no one questions it-------Islamic fact is fact and THAT IS ALL THERE IS TO IT

Islamo Nazis of the islamo flavor are INTENSELY INTERESTED in that which jews do and say------for "GOSSIP" reasons. It is true that jews ---even in yeshivas debate ABOUT G-D------which --according to the Islamic partyline PROVES---that islam is the SUPERIOR creed-----because no one questions it-------Islamic fact is fact and THAT IS ALL THERE IS TO IT
You should have heard the ignorant black caller on the black radio station yesterday call in and spout off about how Leviticus clearly says and if god says something you best believe it

And I wanted to jump through my radio and strangle some common sense into that ignorant brother. He's doing the same shit to gays that racists did to black people. Religious black folk are the best example to me how they use religion to control us. They used it on black slaves and they even use it today. Black people are not very happy with white America but look how easily religion can get blacks to stand with whites when it comes to Islam or gays. This is why I know blacks would be no different if they were the majority. They would have owned white slaves.

You should have heard the ignorant black caller on the black radio station yesterday call in and spout off about how Leviticus clearly says and if god says something you best believe it

And I wanted to jump through my radio and strangle some common sense into that ignorant brother. He's doing the same shit to gays that racists did to black people. Religious black folk are the best example to me how they use religion to control us. They used it on black slaves and they even use it today. Black people are not very happy with white America but look how easily religion can get blacks to stand with whites when it comes to Islam or gays. This is why I know blacks would be no different if they were the majority. They would have owned white slaves.

don't be bitter ---boo boo white Christians are not the only people in the world that reject homosexuality

Anti gay Christians make me sick. They quote old testament (Leviticus) bullshit that says being gay is a sin but then if the old testament says anything about their immorality they say it doesn’t matter because that’s why Jesus came and died on the cross….for our sins. So it’s ok when they sin because all men sin. The only thing that matters they say is believing in Jesus as lord and savior. They believe all they have to do is believe in Jesus as their savior and he will forgive them of all their sins. So I just don’t understand why they care what the old testament says about gays. The New Testament was supposed to end all that.

"'If a man commits adultery with another man's wife both the adulterer and the adulteress are to be put to death.

Two Tea Party Republican lawmakers in Michigan are gone today — one resigned, another expelled — after their alleged extramarital affair and a botched cover-up became national news last month.

Then the scumbag cheater wrote on twitter: I would appreciate your prayers all day today, just that God's Hand would move in all of this to His end for His Honor and Glory...God bless all of you who have prayed your many prayers and supplications on my behalf, I am sorry for all of the stress and disappointment I have caused everyone. Thank you.

And some facebook replies:

What makes me sicker than anything about this whole pathetic debacle? That the two of you carried on your little affair not only while you were supposed to be working for the people who elected you, but also while vociferously espousing traditional family values and Christianity -- and in doing so, you made a mockery of both. I don't believe you're truly sorry about what you've done; you're only sorry that you got caught.

I can see why he's asking for y'all to pray: it worked to get him into office as a "godly", "family values" type - and now he gets to seem all contrite and "saved".... works every time!

You don't need prayers, you need an actual moral compass.

How dare you. You should have prayed BEFORE you made the deliberate and conscious choice to break God's commandment that says, "Thou shalt not commit adultery." You do NOT have the right to ask that your adulterous affair with a married woman, something that has destroyed two families, be made to work to the glory of God. How dare you.

This is 2015 sir. Your invoking of "god" and religion to take the focus off of your wrongdoings doesnt work today. It is not the 1950's. That is the most overdone and played out tactic there is. People are no longer that gullible.

Well I love it that in a round about way, that's what Jews are admitting when they debate the existence of god. They've come to the same conclusion I did. Maybe that Moses story is made up and maybe there is no god. If you are a thinking person and have never seen any evidence of something, how does that not go through your mind?

But it doesn't go through Christians minds. They take the Old Testament literally when the people who wrote the book don't even necessarily take the thing literally. So all the crazy stuff said in the old testament is clearly man made. Most Jews get that. But conservative Christians can't get that. That's because they need the bible to be literal. Otherwise the prophecy that god was going to send his son is just a story. But that can't be if Jesus is really the son of god.

So imagine you write a story that you know is made up and you write in prophecies and all of the sudden one of those prophecies comes true. You know its bullshit but how to do you call bullshit without admitting your story is a lie too?

i still don't understand what you're talking about when you say "jews debate the existence of G-d". I assume some do. but to most the belief in G-d is an essential part of judaism.

so again, you keep repeating that and i still don't understand what you mean

i still don't understand what you're talking about when you say "jews debate the existence of G-d". I assume some do. but to most the belief in G-d is an essential part of judaism.

so again, you keep repeating that and i still don't understand what you mean
I've heard a lot of Jews don't believe in God. Yet still they consider themselves Jews.

Do you believe God talked to Moses or do you believe the Noah story?

Forum List

Back