Religion and Sex

Arthur

Rookie
Feb 4, 2009
Is Christianity sex-positive or sex-negative? Which religion has the best take on the topic?

Is Christianity sex-positive or sex-negative? Which religion has the best take on the topic?
I would say sex negative! I would have to go with kitten's answer on the postive end.
The whole thing about waiting until you are married just gets me, you are pretty much gambling on how enjoyable your sex life is going to be.

What's most ironic is that the Christian Right is usually at the forefront of decrying "promiscuity" by teenagers and young adults, while simultaneously (and necessarily) asserting that they lack the capacity to make informed judgments and decisions. Of course, it's increasing average marriage ages that have made "fornication" far more common, because you can't reasonably expect people to remain virgins until they're 30.

It's also worth noting that the average divorce rate has risen as the average marriage age has, and while that doesn't necessarily imply a causative link between the two, it certainly casts doubt on a very strong causative link between marriage by younger people and failure and divorces. More importantly, the divorce rates of 18 to 20 year olds are lower than those of their immediate elders, which indicates yet again that condemnations of youth as reckless and irresponsible are charges that would be more accurately applied to their elders.

Christianity is sex-positive inside marriage. Outside marriage is a no-no. Inside marriage, anything goes.

Christianity is sex-positive inside marriage. Outside marriage is a no-no. Inside marriage, anything goes.

Another amusing tidbit: Most of the "domestic partnerships" that modern Christians attack as immoral would have constituted common law marriages in earlier times, and would have been honored by earlier Christians.

Another amusing tidbit: Most of the "domestic partnerships" that modern Christians attack as immoral would have constituted common law marriages in earlier times, and would have been honored by earlier Christians.

just telling you the rules. not saying people obey them. not judging those that dont.

What's most ironic is that the Christian Right is usually at the forefront of decrying "promiscuity" by teenagers and young adults, while simultaneously (and necessarily) asserting that they lack the capacity to make informed judgments and decisions. Of course, it's increasing average marriage ages that have made "fornication" far more common, because you can't reasonably expect people to remain virgins until they're 30.

It's also worth noting that the average divorce rate has risen as the average marriage age has, and while that doesn't necessarily imply a causative link between the two, it certainly casts doubt on a very strong causative link between marriage by younger people and failure and divorces. More importantly, the divorce rates of 18 to 20 year olds are lower than those of their immediate elders, which indicates yet again that condemnations of youth as reckless and irresponsible are charges that would be more accurately applied to their elders.

Sorry Agna, but in this instance all the connections you have made are circumstantial. Though I agree that there is a lot of contradictions in the christian beliefs on sexual activity ... not all marriages with the same results are christian influenced. I think it speaks more on our culture as a country than on the religions involved, since some countries with christianity as the most popular religion also do not demonstrate such behavior.

Sorry Agna, but in this instance all the connections you have made are circumstantial. Though I agree that there is a lot of contradictions in the christian beliefs on sexual activity ... not all marriages with the same results are christian influenced. I think it speaks more on our culture as a country than on the religions involved, since some countries with christianity as the most popular religion also do not demonstrate such behavior.

Again, I never claimed that a causative link existed between older average marriage ages and higher divorce rates. I merely suggested that the correlation between the two suggested that there was no seriously weighty causative link between younger average marriage ages and higher divorce rates. I wasn't even referring to Christianity specifically; I merely said that it was amusing that they were so eager to denigrate youth as incapable of informed decisions (and by extension, incapable of healthy marriages) when such correlation existed.

How is Christianity sex positive in marriage? I thought they are into sex for procreation. No kids, no sex.

You know, this is a good topic.........

Christianity USED to be sex positive, because we were told in the Bible to "go forth and multiply". Not only that, but they weren't too fussy about the one spouse thing, as most of the OT prophets, as well as kings, had more than one wife.

But, later, because those who were in charge couldn't deal with it, they put the restriction on it, and used the example of Adam and Eve as their template. But.....they also forget that Adam had 2 wifes, the first one was named Lilith, so the one man/one woman thing kinda goes out the window there. Same with having to stay married for the rest of your life.

Incidentally, up until the 11th or 13th century, Catholic priests were allowed to visit brothels. But, one day, the bishop who later became pope, caught an STD, and sex was banned for priests from then on.

Might explain the little boy molestations eh? Any time that you try to stop a physical response that is programmed into reflexive behavior, it will manifest itself in many different ways, some of which end up being perverted.

Then, along came the Puritans who founded this country, and then, there was the Victorian era. Interestingly enough, people of those times publicly denounced sex (the more pure you appeared, the better your standing), but when they were around in private, it was full on sex. Some of our more twisted sexual ideas today came from them.

Then, there are the Mormons and the FLDS types. Publicly? Most of them denounce sex, as they cover up their women. Privately? Probably quite twisted as well.

The Jewish theology? Fairly sex friendly. Why? Ever read some of the writings from the Torah? Not only that, but Judaism is a pretty hedonistic belief system.

Islam is anything BUT sex friendly. Not only do they subjugate their women by covering them up, and not allowing anyone else to look at them, but they also fault the woman every time if there is some kind of sexual misconduct.

Islam is NOT sex friendly. Might explain the 72 virgins by the way.....might be Allah's way of telling you that you're never going to have sex again.

My belief system? Well.....sex is natural, it feels good, and is also healthy for your body. It's not so much the sex itself that gets anyone in trouble incidentally, it's the emotional baggage that everyone brings into it. Me? I can have sex with people that I'm not in a relationship with. Matter of fact, I've had sex with a woman before the very first night. Is there something wrong with that? In my book, not if you like them. I have to like someone before I'm willing to get naked with them, and if I like them, they like me, and wanna play a game or two of slap and tickle? Not a problem, I'm not hung up emotionally like that.

But......remember......just because I have sex with you DOES NOT mean that we are going to be married, boyfriend/girlfriend, or anything other than friends. If you want to have a relationship with me? You're gonna have to spend some time around me.

Personally, I think EVERYONE should get laid at least once a week.

I'd say both Judaism and Christianity:

Why?: Just read the O.T. book of Songs of Solomon. It is the most romantic love letter written to a spouse that includes beautiful messages of love-making under the auspices of marriage, and the cherishing of the bride by the groom and vice versa.

Author: King Solomon

Forum List

Back