Religion and Science

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by SWGAFire, Aug 11, 2009.

1. SWGAFire

SWGAFire Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4
    This question could have been placed in either forum, but I decided here.

I haven't posted very much, but then I haven't been here very long either. So for those who haven't seen my other post or three let me cue you in a step...

I am agnostic and a skeptic, but I have described myself as "Mulder'esk", meaning 'I want to believe'. But because of that, I always look for the arguement against. So here I'm not looking for confirmation of religion and I hope not to fuel their 'I told you so's'. I'm looking for debate that I could use in the future is I'm ever questioned:

Holding with the idea that the Universe if infinite; that the infinity of the universe has expanded and collapsed and re-expanded an infinite number of times; that practically anything is posible in an infinite number of universal recreations; why couldn't there be a "God" entity created, or paranormal, or sexually assaultive aliens, etc?

2. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,207
    Not entirely sure where you are going with your thoughts. Anything is possible. which is why I have to disagree with people who say there can be no God.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. rdean

rdean rddean

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,027
    The real question for me is why bother with magical mysticism at all? I would much rather parents guide children into improving the world instead of following some ridiculous primitive Middle Eastern Desert Religion. A religion which teaches children to hate there own brothers and sisters. A Religion were some religious leaders attempt to hamstring children by telling them that studying "science" leads to mental illness. A religion that pushes fables over learning.
    Who cares if there is huge magical being that is entertained by people whining about their problems?

4. Hawkins

Hawkins Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8
    First, truth is not decided by human behaviors, especially by the behavor of a small bunch of sinners.

5. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Your first post ... and you already established being a zealot. Good work.

6. KittenKoder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Precisely my thinking. Physics states that anything is possible, and chaos theory backs it up with some nifty math and pretty pictures. Most solid matter is empty (and unmeasurable) space, most energy is undetectable, and we only know about maybe .00000001% of the universe.

7. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
  8. Hawkins

Hawkins Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8
    There is truth inside my statement, no? :lol:

9. Kalam

Kalam Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +773
    All observations seem to suggest that the universe is expanding at an increasingly rapid rate. If we're to believe that it will eventually re-collapse, shouldn't gravity be causing the rate of expansion to decrease?

Confirmation of the accelerated expansion of the Universe - CNRS Web site - CNRS

Based on current evidence, I believe it must be concluded that the Big Bang marked the beginning of our universe and existence; I see no reason to believe in any re-collapsing model.

10. KittenKoder

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    No, there isn't. Not for many of us anyway. Truth needs a lot of sources, one source is never truth.