Religion and Mythology

Powerman

Jul 23, 2005
What seperates the 2?

I say nothing.

The more important question might be why is one regarded as fiction and the others accepted as fact when they are equally as absurd?

Powerman said:
What seperates the 2?

I say nothing.

The more important question might be why is one regarded as fiction and the others accepted as fact when they are equally as absurd?

Having one of those "anti" moments, I see. :cool:

GunnyL said:
Having one of those "anti" moments, I see. :cool:

No I'm just trying to figure out why it seems so normal to believe in some religions and it is unheard of with others. People will believe anything you tell them. Since greek mythology is taught as myth no one will ever claim it as a religion but it is no different from any other religion. If other religions were taught as myth and greek mythology was the more popular of faiths half of the people here would be worshipping Zeus.

Powerman said:
No I'm just trying to figure out why it seems so normal to believe in some religions and it is unheard of with others. People will believe anything you tell them. Since greek mythology is taught as myth no one will ever claim it as a religion but it is no different from any other religion. If other religions were taught as myth and greek mythology was the more popular of faiths half of the people here would be worshipping Zeus.

But people did worship Zeus and Venus and a certain Moon God.

Powerman said:

It's an interesting question because Greek/Roman gods and the Norse gods are very similar but in the modern world people don't worship them. But the Hindus worship similar gods today.

Said1 said:
But people did worship Zeus and Venus and a certain Moon God.

Right...but people no longer worship them because for some reason society has deemed them myths. My point is that if it were the other way around everyone would still worship greek Gods and would treat other religions as mythology. You would be crazy to argue that.

Powerman said:
What seperates the 2?

I say nothing.

You're so tedious and boring.

Why do you have such a bug up your but about religion?

Life with no hope or meaning is unbearable.

Powerman said:
Right...but people no longer worship them because for some reason society has deemed them myths. My point is that if it were the other way around everyone would still worship greek Gods and would treat other religions as mythology. You would be crazy to argue that.

It would be worth researching the political and religious atmosphere surrounding the Hellenistic and Olympian traditions (to name two) they didn't just phase out due to lack of interest. Their cultures survived, despite the establishment of Roman rule until the advent of Chrisitanity. I know that's a somewhat narrowed down simplified version, but I don't have time for a history lesson. :poke:

Powerman said:

And?

Powerman said:

How come it is you are SO quick to label people "crazy" if their beliefs differ from yours?

IMO, you're quite touchy to the subject of what everyone else believes. Feeling a tad insecure in your lack of faith, are you? Tsk tsk .......

GunnyL said:
How come it is you are SO quick to label people "crazy" if their beliefs differ from yours?

IMO, you're quite touchy to the subject of what everyone else believes. Feeling a tad insecure in your lack of faith, are you? Tsk tsk .......

Naw, he just needs a crash course in history. Good thing cole's notes has a web site. :laugh:

Said1 said:
Naw, he just needs a crash course in history. Good thing cole's notes has a web site. :laugh:

I don't claim to be a historian but I'm certainly not ignorant. I'm talking philosophically on the issue. People of faith base their faith on what people force feed them when they are young(for the most part.) Like I said if you were born in southern India you'd probably be a Hindu. That much seems obvious.

Powerman said:
I don't claim to be a historian but I'm certainly not ignorant. I'm talking philosophically on the issue. People of faith base their faith on what people force feed them when they are young(for the most part.) Like I said if you were born in southern India you'd probably be a Hindu. That much seems obvious.

Your question was about mytholgy and religion, not about where you were born. That much IS obvious. If you want to know why people no longer worship "Zeus", look it up. The history of those periods is very relevant to the demise of their culture and religous traditions. Another thing you may not know is that there's also a good chance that you might be a Muslim if you were born in Southern India. Another thing you might want to research: The arrival of Islam in India.

In answer to your original post, I would think people take Jesus more seriously because he was an actual person, and Zeus was not, although people are pretty much free to worship whomever they want in our societies. For some reason, no one picks Zeus, or Medusa or Venus. I wonder why?

Again, if you look at the political atmosphere surrounding Greece and Egypt, you will see why "society" deemed their religious cosmologies as myth. This is relevant and although you claim you are not ignorant, I'm not really sure why you wouldn't take the time to do a little research. You might learn something.

You are anti-religion, that much is obvious. What I don't understand is why you jump around in the threads you start and in your posts (saying one thing, then saying we misunderstand your point and then changing your original statement/thread starter). If you could clarify, what you want to disucss in this thread exactly, that would be great. My take is that you are were sayingng (for example) that Jesus and Zeus are myths and are confused as to why people believe in Jesus and not Zeus. Then you went on to say people are force fed religion when they are young, which was the topic of another thread you started. Remember?

And who says Jesus is absurd, aside from you?

Forum List

Back