Religion and Left-wing Hypocrisy

What policies do Sharpton, Jackson, Carter, and Obama support that violate church and state?

None. That's not my point, though. There are no policies the right massively supports that violate separation of church and state, etiher. Many on the Left accuse right-wingers who talk about their faith and politics openly as if that's a total violation of church and state. But I bet any of those people are lead by their religious convictions as much as any right-winger is, but it's only the right that has to hear shit about it.

First welcome to USMB.

I consider myself a conservative Christian although I cringe now when associated with the Religious Right. The right is chastised for bringing faith into the political spectrum for the same reason that the left is chastised for their lack of tolerance. Let me explain:

The left speaks of being tolerant. They demand that everyone be tolerant of homosexuals, minorities, the poor etc. etc. etc. everyone except conservatives yet the left does not display tolerance to others themselves.

The same goes for the "religious right". They speak like they expect everyone to follow God's laws to the "T", yet they are caught in illicit affairs, corruption, and the likes just as often as everyone else.

If neither side made such a big deal of the things they fail at, there wouldn't be such problems.
First of all, thanks for the welcome.

My point isn't to claim either side is perfect. It's simply that people need to decide whether religion plays no part in politics, or that it does, and then they have to stop bitching about it. Lefties can't stack the deck, though, and embrace members of their side who bring their religion into the public fora but then complain when righties do it too.

Neither Al Sharpton nor Jesse Jackson seem to be very religious to me.

I have heard Jesse Jackson mention Jesus Christ twice. Both times as curse words.

But that is twice more than Al Sharpton.

Immie

Both of them have been around politics for at least thirty years, so I'm sure they've mentioned Jesus more than that. Not only that, but both of them are reverends.

I can call myself "Reverend" too. I can also incorporate my own church if I want to.

Are either one of these two gentlemen truly ordained? Called by God? Called by a church?

Not to knock Baptists (or all Baptists) but I used to know a man who I was sure could barely read and clearly had never had any formal Bible training. One day his daughter came to visit and said that her father was now a minister at some little Baptist Chuch and this qualified him to be a minister.

Not to argue with you, but simply calling oneself, Reverend, does not make you a pastor or even religious by any stretch of the imagination.

Immie

Uh, I think it would've been an issue a long time ago if they were just calling themselves "reverend". I'm pretty sure they're ordained. I can't tell you about their calling...I don't know them personally.

How about this

The next time a lefty mix religion with their politics, bitch about it. Slap them with the "seperatation of religion and State clause"!!

That is what you want, right.

There. That satisfy this debate. Next...

No, that's not what I want. I want the left to stop being such damn hypocrites and bitching about shit they shamelessly do themselves. That's what I want. The point is separation of church and state doesn't mean "keep your religious beliefs entirely too yourself". It just means the government can't create a state or federally funded church.

First of all, thanks for the welcome.

My point isn't to claim either side is perfect. It's simply that people need to decide whether religion plays no part in politics, or that it does, and then they have to stop bitching about it. Lefties can't stack the deck, though, and embrace members of their side who bring their religion into the public fora but then complain when righties do it too.

Yes, they can. In politics they can do just about anything they want, either side. :D

I happen to believe that Religion plays a big part in our politics and our history. I think the "Separation Clause" is mis-interpreted by the left, but I don't want to see things go to far the other way either. I don't want the state to dictate our faith nor do I expect the state to be totally ambivilant towards religion either.

Uh, I think it would've been an issue a long time ago if they were just calling themselves "reverend". I'm pretty sure they're ordained. I can't tell you about their calling...I don't know them personally.

You might be right, but I don't think so. I have looked up Jesse Jackson's "credientials" but not been able to find anything regarding his "calling". I have never looked up Al Sharpton's.

But, anyone can call themselves a "reverend". You need not be certified by the state in order to do so. It is not like having to be licensed to be an attorney or a doctor or a public accountant. Anyone can call themselves "reverend" and they are Reverend. Whether or not they are recognized as "Reverend" is another matter.

Immie

How about this

The next time a lefty mix religion with their politics, bitch about it. Slap them with the "seperatation of religion and State clause"!!

No, that's not what I want. I want the left to stop being such damn hypocrites and bitching about shit they shamelessly do themselves. That's what I want. The point is separation of church and state doesn't mean "keep your religious beliefs entirely too yourself". It just means the government can't create a state or federally funded church.

I hate to break this to you but

That is not going to happen, buddy.​
:tongue:

How about this

I hate to break this to you but

That is not going to happen, buddy.​
:tongue:

Then I'm not going to stop ranting about it. So stop being a trolling docchebag, unless of course you can't help it.

I have heard Jesse Jackson mention Jesus Christ twice. Both times as curse words.

Immie

Both of them have been around politics for at least thirty years, so I'm sure they've mentioned Jesus more than that. Not only that, but both of them are reverends.

Both are ordained ministers. Reverend is a discription of a lifestyle. Perhaps they are reverential. I don't know.

Years ago as a child, we called our minister Reverend Dean. Then one day he asked us to stop calling him reverend. I suspect he came to more fully understand his own sinful nature.

Immie

Both are ordained ministers. Reverend is a discription of a lifestyle. Perhaps they are reverential. I don't know.

Years ago as a child, we called our minister Reverend Dean. Then one day he asked us to stop calling him reverend. I suspect he came to more fully understand his own sinful nature.

I looked up Jackson. He is an ordained minister who attended Chicago Theological Seminary. I still contend that a minister would use the name of Jesus Christ in other ways besides as a curse word.

Immie

Forum List

Back