Religion and Left-wing Hypocrisy

stevecox

Rookie
Oct 22, 2009
Why is it that left-wingers get to freely co-opt the words of people like Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., who shamelessly brought his faith to bear in the public arena and did much of his community activism in the church, and they embrace people like Rev. Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, Jimmy Carter, and Barack Obama despite their being openly religious. But then, when right-wingers bring up religion in the public square, liberals start bitching about them violating separation of church and state?

Let's hear the excuses.

What policies do Sharpton, Jackson, Carter, and Obama support that violate church and state?

Why is it that left-wingers get to freely co-opt the words of people like Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., who shamelessly brought his faith to bear in the public arena and did much of his community activism in the church, and they embrace people like Rev. Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, Jimmy Carter, and Barack Obama despite their being openly religious. But then, when right-wingers bring up religion in the public square, liberals start bitching about them violating separation of church and state?

Let's hear the excuses.

If you can't understand that and answer your own question.. Then I can't help you.. But I will give you a clue..

MLK fought for equality in the civil rights movement.. Who is the biggest apponent to the civil rights movement and equality??? Christians?? Same as it is today..

Hence the hypocrisy of the christian right..

Neither Al Sharpton nor Jesse Jackson seem to be very religious to me.

I have heard Jesse Jackson mention Jesus Christ twice. Both times as curse words.

But that is twice more than Al Sharpton.

Immie

Let's hear the excuses.

Longtime black allies such as Bayard Rustin, Roy Wilkins, and Whitney Young denounced MLK publicly for his stand against the Vietnam war and his political activism...

Next...

Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson are no better than Pat Robertson.
Mr. Gays caused the disasters guy himself.

What policies do Sharpton, Jackson, Carter, and Obama support that violate church and state?

None. That's not my point, though. There are no policies the right massively supports that violate separation of church and state, etiher. Many on the Left accuse right-wingers who talk about their faith and politics openly as if that's a total violation of church and state. But I bet any of those people are lead by their religious convictions as much as any right-winger is, but it's only the right that has to hear shit about it.

Let's hear the excuses.

If you can't understand that and answer your own question.. Then I can't help you.. But I will give you a clue..

MLK fought for equality in the civil rights movement.. Who is the biggest apponent to the civil rights movement and equality??? Christians?? Same as it is today..

Hence the hypocrisy of the christian right..

First of all, MLK fought for civil rights because he had to. Because in his day there was still massive institutional inequalities that oppressed Blacks and social tendencies that permitted it. Christians were some of the biggest proprietors of the civil rights movement, both then and now. They lead the charge for the abolition of slavery. If you look at a lot of the old reels of civil rights marches and protests, aside from King and his ilk, there were nuns and priests marching with them.

I'm assuming you're talking about gay issues, but there isn't the same disparity in equal treatment and equal rights, though some love to exaggerate like there is. Try again.

I have heard Jesse Jackson mention Jesus Christ twice. Both times as curse words.

Immie

Both of them have been around politics for at least thirty years, so I'm sure they've mentioned Jesus more than that. Not only that, but both of them are reverends.

Let's hear the excuses.

Longtime black allies such as Bayard Rustin, Roy Wilkins, and Whitney Young denounced MLK publicly for his stand against the Vietnam war and his political activism...

Next...

Uh, I don't know why you're trying to be a smart ass, like you just made some profound point. What does that have to do with anything?

Let's hear the excuses.

The word that comes to mind is Hypocricy.

The left loves a rigged game. The don't believe they should have to play by the same rules as the rest of us.

Carter isn't included....but it has something to do with talking politics in the church...incouraging the Black Community to vote Democrat....while criticizing the GOP for the same thing.

The last election the PC police went into predominantly white churchs and threatened to take away their tax-free non-profit status because they felt they were encouraging their church members to vote for Republicans.....just because they said they should vote for candidates that support their views...such as the church's pro-life stance.

Rev Wright spews racist/political hate-speech in almost every sermon but he's OK. Can a White reverand get away with the same thing??

Not hardly.

None. That's not my point, though. There are no policies the right massively supports that violate separation of church and state, etiher. Many on the Left accuse right-wingers who talk about their faith and politics openly as if that's a total violation of church and state. But I bet any of those people are lead by their religious convictions as much as any right-winger is, but it's only the right that has to hear shit about it.

First welcome to USMB.

I consider myself a conservative Christian although I cringe now when associated with the Religious Right. The right is chastised for bringing faith into the political spectrum for the same reason that the left is chastised for their lack of tolerance. Let me explain:

The left speaks of being tolerant. They demand that everyone be tolerant of homosexuals, minorities, the poor etc. etc. etc. everyone except conservatives yet the left does not display tolerance to others themselves.

The same goes for the "religious right". They speak like they expect everyone to follow God's laws to the "T", yet they are caught in illicit affairs, corruption, and the likes just as often as everyone else.

If neither side made such a big deal of the things they fail at, there wouldn't be such problems.

Immie

Both of them have been around politics for at least thirty years, so I'm sure they've mentioned Jesus more than that. Not only that, but both of them are reverends.

I can call myself "Reverend" too. I can also incorporate my own church if I want to.

Are either one of these two gentlemen truly ordained? Called by God? Called by a church?

Not to knock Baptists (or all Baptists) but I used to know a man who I was sure could barely read and clearly had never had any formal Bible training. One day his daughter came to visit and said that her father was now a minister at some little Baptist Chuch and this qualified him to be a minister.

Not to argue with you, but simply calling oneself, Reverend, does not make you a pastor or even religious by any stretch of the imagination.

Immie

First welcome to USMB.

I consider myself a conservative Christian although I cringe now when associated with the Religious Right. The right is chastised for bringing faith into the political spectrum for the same reason that the left is chastised for their lack of tolerance. Let me explain:

The left speaks of being tolerant. They demand that everyone be tolerant of homosexuals, minorities, the poor etc. etc. etc. everyone except conservatives yet the left does not display tolerance to others themselves.

The same goes for the "religious right". They speak like they expect everyone to follow God's laws to the "T", yet they are caught in illicit affairs, corruption, and the likes just as often as everyone else.

If neither side made such a big deal of the things they fail at, there wouldn't be such problems.

Immie

I can call myself "Reverend" too. I can also incorporate my own church if I want to.

Are either one of these two gentlemen truly ordained? Called by God? Called by a church?

Not to knock Baptists (or all Baptists) but I used to know a man who I was sure could barely read and clearly had never had any formal Bible training. One day his daughter came to visit and said that her father was now a minister at some little Baptist Chuch and this qualified him to be a minister.

Not to argue with you, but simply calling oneself, Reverend, does not make you a pastor or even religious by any stretch of the imagination.

Immie

If you were to ask....every other black is a reverand.

Seems to be the "in" thing in the Black Community.

Last edited:
How about this

The next time a lefty mix religion with their politics, bitch about it. Slap them with the "seperatation of religion and State clause"!!

That is what you want, right.

There. That satisfy this debate. Next...

Forum List

Back