Religion and Ethics 2.0

RWS

Gold Member
Sep 24, 2013
I brought up 1.0, but it's history... Needs to be brought up again...

The theme of the board is Religion and Ethics.

You can't have both, you can only have one. Because religions are anti-ethics. They are mutually exclusive. Religions kill for fun.

You either have religion, or you have ethics.

I'm for ethics.

How bout you peeps?

You can't have both, you can only have one. Because religions are anti-ethics. They are mutually exclusive. Religions kill for fun.

I'm for ethics.

How bout you peeps?

1430468619637.jpg

I'm for ethics.

How bout you peeps?

Maybe this is why many people say
Buddhism is not a religion. It's more
like natural laws of cause and effects,
so people learn ethics by observing these
laws of karmic justice.

RWS do you consider Constitutionalism
to be a political religion? Isn't it possible
to teach Constitutional ethics as a faith based
system of BELIEFS about Equal Justice.

I would agree with you that any INSTITUTION
gets corrupted and abused, because people are
self-interested and imperfect. We aren't capable
on our own of administering laws and justice without
CHECK and BALANCE from others.

I wouldn't necessarily blame RELIGION for that,
but the selfish flaws in human nature, that when we
get in GROUPS, we "gang up" according to our BIASES
and THAT'S what causes systems to get skewed toward
one group over others. So maybe it's the POLITICS that
gets corrupted.

And what you are saying is that mixing POLITICAL BIAS
with religion is what fuels corruption, abuse and oppression.

Wouldn't you say ANY corporate entity or institution is prone to abuse?
Not just "religion"
Look at POLITICAL PARTIES
Look at LARGE CORPORATIONS that get too big for their britches
and start abusing amassed centralized power, resources and influence
because "there isn't direct check or accountability"

Doesn't that go wrong with ANY large collective organization?
Religious or secular, even nonprofit or educational institutions
get corrupted this way.

Private media conglomerates also start pushing their agenda
and censoring/controlling free speech. That's not a religion,
that's a collective institution. Do you see the common pattern?

• Banned

I'm for ethics.

How bout you peeps?

Maybe this is why many people say
Buddhism is not a religion. It's more
like natural laws of cause and effects,
so people learn ethics by observing these
laws of karmic justice.

RWS do you consider Constitutionalism
to be a political religion? Isn't it possible
to teach Constitutional ethics as a faith based
system of BELIEFS about Equal Justice.

I would agree with you that any INSTITUTION
gets corrupted and abused, because people are
self-interested and imperfect. We aren't capable
on our own of administering laws and justice without
CHECK and BALANCE from others.

I wouldn't necessarily blame RELIGION for that,
but the selfish flaws in human nature, that when we
get in GROUPS, we "gang up" according to our BIASES
and THAT'S what causes systems to get skewed toward
one group over others. So maybe it's the POLITICS that
gets corrupted.

And what you are saying is that mixing POLITICAL BIAS
with religion is what fuels corruption, abuse and oppression.

Wouldn't you say ANY corporate entity or institution is prone to abuse?
Not just "religion"
Look at POLITICAL PARTIES
Look at LARGE CORPORATIONS that get too big for their britches
and start abusing amassed centralized power, resources and influence
because "there isn't direct check or accountability"

Doesn't that go wrong with ANY large collective organization?
Religious or secular, even nonprofit or educational institutions
get corrupted this way.

Private media conglomerates also start pushing their agenda
and censoring/controlling free speech. That's not a religion,
that's a collective institution. Do you see the common pattern?
omg emily, we've been through this before! I love your posts! But let's not argue! :)

It's about ethics. Which you have. No need to explain further. I know you, and how you roll. But religion does not advocate ethics for the masses.

It actually does the opposite.

Last edited:
  • Banned
Monotheistic religions demand that they are right, and everyone else is wrong. And if you don't believe, you can be subject to many penalties, including death. This has been happily carried out during Crusades and Inquisitions. Millions of people killed, raped, or abducted, or just plain killed.

Terrible crimes committed in the name of "God" or "Jesus". Horrible....

Makes me sick. And Christians today just forgive all those horrific acts committed in their names, that got them to be born into that religion. As if they never happened... They just donate at church and have no idea...

• Banned
And then the priests molest the boys and girls for years, and the higher ups just ignore it.

Yeah, "God/Jesus" is watching over us and the Vatican. Sorry, but that's bs :)

Monotheistic religions demand that they are right, and everyone else is wrong. And if you don't believe, you can be subject to many penalties, including death. This has been happily carried out during Crusades and Inquisitions. Millions of people killed, raped, or abducted, or just plain killed.

Makes me sick. And Christians today just forgive all those horrific acts committed in their names, that got them to be born into that religion. As if they never happened... They just donate at church and have no idea...

lol yeah right, cuz they all say the same thing and all alike ...

get back to us with a halfway sane troll thread, after you've actually read and studied them.

And then the priests molest the boys and girls for years, and the higher ups just ignore it.

Yeah, "God/Jesus" is watching over us and the Vatican. Sorry, but that's bs :)

you would cry and whine even harder if they tried to screen out all the faggots, same for schools , Boy Scouts, and anything else to do with children, so we know your fake 'stalking point' is just stupid cognitively dissonant raving from a dope addled lunatic deviant.

• Banned

lol yeah right, cuz they all say the same thing and all alike ...

get back to us with a halfway sane troll thread, after you've actually read and studied them.
You have a problem with the truth? How much money have you given this year?

Last edited:

I'm for ethics.

How bout you peeps?
False premise that you can't have both. Religions are codified ethical systems in addition to a smattering of theology. You are not required to like their ethics.

I'm for ethics.

How bout you peeps?
I agree that this forum should be renamed.
Religion reflects CULTURAL codes of conduct. There are many cultures and multiple religions even in same culture.

Ethics “should” reflect a code of conduct that goes beyond culture; that respects ALL people and many/most animals.

I suggest this forum should be renamed to:
“Religion: Faith in a Belief system”

• Thanks
Reactions: RWS
Human nature being what it is, would the Crusades and other mass killings in the name of a God have happened anyway? Was religion used as an excuse to start wars or commit atrocities in order to acquire power and riches? How many deaths have been the result of a non-religious war? I don't have the numbers handy, but I suspect that a great deal more people have been killed for other reasons than religion.

And this "Religions kill for fun" is total bullshit.

I'm for ethics.

How bout you peeps?
True.

Religion rarely has anything to do with ethics; indeed, religion is often the source of that which is the most unethical.

Humans are perfectly capable of being ethical absent religion.

Religious people are perfectly capable of being ethical too. And there's a difference between a person who claims to be religious but isn't really, and a religious person who actually IS religious AND ethical. Unethical people exist irrespective of whether they are religious or not, and I would venture to say that most people who actually are religious are also ethical people while it's more likely that non-religious people are NOT as ethical, whether they claim to be religious or not.

IOW, you show me a person who is not religious and I'll show you a person who is way more likely to be unethical. Regardless of whether they go to church on Sunday or not.

Would you blame the religion for a person who claims to be religious but does unethical things? Where's your outrage for the unreligious person who also does unethical things? I would posit that the number of the latter greatly outnumbers the former.

And I would go further and say that religion has to a large extent formed the values and principles that almost everyone bases their morality on. Which is the basis for determining what is ethical and what isn't, what is right and what is wrong. Where do you think the concept of "The Golden Rule" came from?

Last edited:
So now to be a religious charitable donation the IRS has 10 lines to the effect don't have anything to do with political campaigns. So what ethics? Whats the ethics, recite the 10 commandments to ourselves? No wonder all the religions that can squeak in under that do so well , Baptists, Methodists... The Orthodox gathered every nation's patriarch with the emperor to discuss the creeds. Or the released nations separate rom the byzantine empire. the catholics pushed for peace among catholic nations. The protestants overthrew kings or governments and decided governments. We're basically 70% to the Napoleonic revolution now. No more visible religion interfering with governing. what do they got, some Napoleonic civil roman code, administrators coming up with longer longer codes and policemen everywhere. Where is religion and ethics now? You could elect Andrew Jackson to be a solid overseas Presbyterian. You'd have to disdain being a zealot for office, my first responsibility, America etc. I'm here for the reformed governance .

Forum List

Back