Religimacation

The ClayTaurus

Sep 19, 2005
Hi all,

I've been trying to discern all the differences in the many Christian protestant sects.

I know there are many who are quite faithful and well versed in what their religion stands for, so I was wondering if you could post what your specific Christian denomination is, and perhaps a couple sentences that sum up your opinion on how it's different from most other Christian sects. I know there is plenty of research to be done by the individual, so know that I'm engaging in that. I would like personal, real, real-time opinions in addition.

I know it's a bit utopian of me, but I'm hoping that this can be a flame-free post that is purely informative. I would request that if you wish to debate someone on whether or not, for example, Baptists believe in something, that you do so by saying "I disagree with so and so" and then starting a new thread and linking to that thread and leaving it at that. This is not because I want to avoid a difference in opinions, but I'd prefer to keep this thread concise and to the point, and allow the philisophical debates and eventual name-calling to reside elsewhere.

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Clay, I'll take a shot at it.

I don't consider myself to be "religious" because I am not affiliated with any denomination. I'm very leery of "group think" (in any type of ideology, not just spirituality) which is why I like exploring several avenues of spiritual thought on my own, without a leader/teacher.

I don't argue my beliefs based upon anything I've read......just from a deep spiritual feeling I might have regarding a subject.

For example........I don't believe in heaven or hell........because I don't think one should base their actions on whether they will be rewarded or punished. I think one's actions should be determined by benefit to humanity.

Some might think that because I don't believe in H/H that I don't believe in an afterlife........but I do. Can't explain it, but I do.

The ClayTaurus said:
Hi all,

I've been trying to discern all the differences in the many Christian protestant sects.

I know there are many who are quite faithful and well versed in what their religion stands for, so I was wondering if you could post what your specific Christian denomination is, and perhaps a couple sentences that sum up your opinion on how it's different from most other Christian sects. I know there is plenty of research to be done by the individual, so know that I'm engaging in that. I would like personal, real, real-time opinions in addition.

Clay, I attend a Nazarene church, but I consider my theology to be mainline-to-conservative evangelical. Here are my beliefs, which I believe to be accepted by most Christians:

I believe in one God, who has revealed Himself to mankind as three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
I believe that man is inherently sinful, and that our sin causes us to be found guilty in God's eyes.
I beleive that faith in Jesus Christ is God's chosen path of salvation for mankind.
I believe the Bible to be the inerrant word of God.

For your own edification on the various Christian denominations, check out this link: http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_deno.htm

Also, this link will spell out a lot of the differences in the major denominational "families": http://www.religionfacts.com/christianity/denominations.htm

Raised Episcopalian

Currently family goes to Presbyterian services

Wife is very active in the children’s programs

Read the bible to my son

Believe the moral and ethical foundation of religion is important to children

Believe the bible is a moral and ethical tome of parables design to teach moral and ethical behavior

Believe that more often than not God's answer is no

Believe that when I die I will find out

gop_jeff said:
Clay, I attend a Nazarene church, but I consider my theology to be mainline-to-conservative evangelical. Here are my beliefs, which I believe to be accepted by most Christians:

I believe in one God, who has revealed Himself to mankind as three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
I believe that man is inherently sinful, and that our sin causes us to be found guilty in God's eyes.
I beleive that faith in Jesus Christ is God's chosen path of salvation for mankind.
I believe the Bible to be the inerrant word of God.

For your own edification on the various Christian denominations, check out this link: http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_deno.htm

Also, this link will spell out a lot of the differences in the major denominational "families": http://www.religionfacts.com/christianity/denominations.htm

Thanks, I've been to those links already, but appreciated.

Your post reminded me of two more questions that I'd appreciate answered based on your sect.

Is the Bible to be taken literally, somewhat literally, or entirely interpretated.

How large a part does evangelization of non-believers play a role in your religious activities.

Again, thanks.

The ClayTaurus said:
Thanks, I've been to those links already, but appreciated.

Your post reminded me of two more questions that I'd appreciate answered based on your sect.

Is the Bible to be taken literally, somewhat literally, or entirely interpretated.

The guideline I have learned is that you interpret scripture literally, unless the context of the text makes it clear that the text is not meant literally. For example, Jesus said that if our eye causes us to sin, we should pluck it out, or if our hand causes us to sin, cut it off. Obviously, we don't see Christians with one eye or no hands. So we can say that this is hyperbole.

How large a part does evangelization of non-believers play a role in your religious activities.

Again, thanks.

Quite a large role. If Jesus is the only way to God (as Christians believe), then we have a responsibility to tell people about Him. That's why they call us "evangelicals" - we evangelize! :D

I grew up going to an assembly of God. I've seen revivals, I've seen people faint with the holy spirit, I've seen people talk in tongues, and I've seen people "healed" by the hand of God.

I've listened to countless sermons on the Revelation, the tribulation, the revisitation, the rapture and the anti-Christ.

Hell, as a boy I even walked through tribulation trail. (thanks Mom.)

And I think Arnold Schwarzenegger was a great lead character in the movie.

But mostly I think it's all a bunch of garbage designed to scare or guilt-trip you into putting money into the offering plate.

I'd like to hope that if there is a God, she's more for loving us than scaring the shit out of us so that we'll pretend to like her out of fear for our own wellbeing.

Please, I'd like to keep this to Christian denominations and their belief sets. Not whether or not Christianity as a whole is valid. Thank you.

Forum List

Back