Reindeer display stirs complaints

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
ROFLMAO!

SCOTTSDALE It's still 85 days until Christmas, but two reindeer already are causing a stir in a neighborhood near downtown Scottsdale.

The Christmas lawn ornaments - the kind you would expect to see with other decorations in December - first appeared Sunday on a rooftop near Thomas and Scottsdale roads.

Neighbors probably wouldn't have minded the early display, but there was a problem - the reindeer appeared to be making love.

"It's a little humorous in a way," said Al Sayler, who lives across the street and whose son called police about the display. "I can understand them having a little fun like that. But it's really not appropriate for the little kids that come by here (to meet the school bus) every morning."

Scottsdale police went to the house and talked to its residents, but there are no city codes to make them take it down, Sayler said.

"The city of Scottsdale was really nice about it," said Marc Veneziano, an Arizona State University student who rents a room in the house. The reindeer were a joke and posting them on the rooftop helped mark the house for a Christmas-theme party Friday night, he said.

People honking as they drove by showed "a lot of positive feedback," Veneziano said of the neighborhood's response.

He and his roommates separated the figurines when the neighbors asked them to, but they weren't afraid to put them back up when it was time for the party.

Even so, Veneziano said, they planned to take down the display, along with the lights strung across the front of the house, as they clean up after the party.

Kevin Toscano, who lives down the street from the reindeer display, said a brief joke is fine, but it would be inappropriate for it to stay up for very long.

Toscano said he is concerned about having the connotations of the display out where neighborhood children can see, even though his 7-year-old daughter didn't understand what it meant.

"(She) just had the blankest look on (her) face," Toscano said.

0930sr-reindeer30.jpg

http://www.azcentral.com/offbeat/articles/0930sr-reindeer30-ON.html

Last Christmas, somebody did the same thing to a reindeer display on the front lawn of a house one street over from ours. They did it during the day while the homeowners were out at work. Maybe it's a new trend. :shocked:

GotZoom said:
Perhaps the female has horns though.

Hmmmmmmm???????

(maybe I'm not talking about the reindeer)

...or, at least really long <s>paws</s> claws...

Shattered said:
Uh.

Aren't they in the wrong order???

No, both sexes of reindeer grow antlers, the males lose theirs during the winter season after mating season has ended. Therefore at this time of year the male reindeer would have no antlers, the female would.

It is one of the incorrect pictures they give on Christmas, the riendeer have male names and all have antlers.

maybe your job as a parent should be questioned if your 7 yo understands the meaning behind the placement of the figures.

I am not worried about my 2yo seeing that, because it would never occur to him that it is sexual. I douubt he knows what reindeer are yet.

I would probably get a good laugh if one of my neighbors did that.

Forum List

Back