Reid Threatens 'Nuclear Option' to Pass Health Care Reform as Panel Starts Work

Reid Threatens 'Nuclear Option' to Pass Health Care Reform as Panel Starts Work

'bout time.

The republicans overstepped, and look what happened, if the nuclear option is applied, the democrats will have overstepped. Think about it.....

And ever since Obama has been sworn in, they have been doing some huge overstepping. The people have for the past couple months telling them NO. So? Let them try this. It will be thier undoing come 2010. Bet on it. Let them IGNORE the word NO from the people. The people will be louder in their rendition of NO to the Democrats.

If I was Reid I would begin now to clean out my office. Regardless of this health care reform crap, people are tired of his political BS. He's toast the next election cycle no matter what he does. Hope he takes Pelosi with him. Thankfully Obama is nearly 1/4 of the way through his 15 minutes of fame. He's gone too.

No, BBD, you clearly don't understand Nevada politics. The LDS there will simply not permit him to be replaced by anyone else.

Really? LDS runs Nevada? I'd say that there are more people there that are NON-LDS that will override them.:cuckoo:

But reconciliation is allowed only on proposals that deal directly with the budget or are primarily fiscal in nature. So Democrats could use reconciliation to pass parts of the health care bill that have a direct fiscal effect, but not other measures creating things like health care supervision agencies. If Democrats try to pass measures that are deemed "extraneous," Republicans could object and have the measures stripped from the bill

oh my!

Which is fine, because the non-budget items are the less controversial provisions of the bill.

Also, calling reconciliation the "nuclear option" is the most dishonest turn of phrase ever.

Also, calling reconciliation the "nuclear option" is the most dishonest turn of phrase ever.

Reconciliation is a misnomer, as it is a cockfight.

That's the name for the process. It's a process that has existed for years. It's a completely different animal than the Republican's unprecedented attempt to get rid of the filibuster.

'bout time.

The republicans overstepped, and look what happened, if the nuclear option is applied, the democrats will have overstepped. Think about it.....

And ever since Obama has been sworn in, they have been doing some huge overstepping. The people have for the past couple months telling them NO. So? Let them try this. It will be thier undoing come 2010. Bet on it. Let them IGNORE the word NO from the people. The people will be louder in their rendition of NO to the Democrats.

Quite on the contrary. President Obama has been far to conciliatory to the Rushpublicans. Time to just get the jobs done that we elected him for. And that job does not consist of paying attention to a lot of social Luddites.

Quite on the contrary. President Obama has been far to conciliatory to the Rushpublicans. Time to just get the jobs done that we elected him for. And that job does not consist of paying attention to a lot of social Luddites.

Did Obama say that on Letterman?

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid threatened on Tuesday to use a procedural maneuver to steamroll opponents of health care reform, even as a Senate panel began delicate negotiations over a package that could have the best chance at passing.

The Nevada Democrat, who has issued similar threats before, spoke as the Senate Finance Committee began debate over Chairman Max Baucus' reform plan. Reid threatened to use a budgetary tool called reconciliation -- also known as the "nuclear option" -- that would allow Democrats to pass key parts of the legislation with a simple majority, as opposed to the 60 votes needed to avoid a Republican filibuster.

"If we can't work this out to do something within the committee structure, then we'll be forced to do the reconciliation," Reid said, adding that he views that as a "last resort."

"It remains to be seen as to whether we will have to do reconciliation. I am confident and hopeful we won't have to do that, but time will only tell," Reid said.

Republican Sen. Richard Burr, N.C., said reconciliation would be a "grave mistake," and that Reid underestimates the public concerns over the bill.

"I don't think it's a threat. I think that's what Harry Reid intends to do," Burr told FOX News.

But the Senate Finance Committee pushed through tense and intensive talks Tuesday to reach common ground on the Baucus plan. Senators have filed 564 amendments, and on Tuesday afternoon Baucus released a slew of change

Reid Threatens 'Nuclear Option' to Pass Health Care Reform as Panel Starts Work - Political News - FOXNews.com

go ahead Harry political armageddon! go for it! :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

You know, Harry is in deep do do in his state of Nevada, not a snow ball's chance in hell of winning re-election so yes, I imagine that he is strong arming some of the other senators in his party knowing full well that he won't be there after 2010. Problem is there are still some democratic senators that think they have a chance to win again, and they won't be so inclined to jump off that cliff just yet.

Care to bring up some examples Old Rocks....or is it just your wingbat perverted opinion?

Care to bring up some examples Old Rocks....or is it just your wingbat perverted opinion?

I'd like that question answered myself. Too bad it's framed in such a partisan manner.

Harry Reid threatening? L.O.L - the only person that dishrag could threaten that would take it seriously would be another Dem.

dems-piss-away.jpg

The Dems will use the majority resolution if the Pubs don't get on board. The Dems will then campaign on how the Pubs hate the poor and working classes. The Pubs are going to lose on this issue. There is no other way that it plays out.

The Dems will use the majority resolution if the Pubs don't get on board. The Dems will then campaign on how the Pubs hate the poor and working classes. The Pubs are going to lose on this issue. There is no other way that it plays out.
yeah, dream on

yeah, dream on

You are the one, Bingo, who woke up from your nightmare to find out that it wasn't a nightmare at all. The voters voted and you lost, Bingo. Get over it.

yeah, dream on

You are the one, Bingo, who woke up from your nightmare to find out that it wasn't a nightmare at all. The voters voted and you lost, Bingo. Get over it.
ROFLMAO
seriously, i AM over it, i was over it the day after the election
what were you saying the previous 8 years, eh?
in fact, i said this very thing the day after the election, "congrats, we'll have to do better next time"

so you can fuck the hell off

yeah, dream on

ROFLMAO
seriously, i AM over it, i was over it the day after the election
what were you saying the previous 8 years, eh?
in fact, i said this very thing the day after the election, "congrats, we'll have to do better next time"
so you can fuck the hell off

Nice, Bingo, nice. Really smarts, doesn't it? It will get worse when you get whipped again next year and in 2012. The fun thing, of course, is that you can see it coming. LOL.

Forum List

Back