Reid Changing Filibuster Rules

Back then we knew this was a dumb idea and Reid needed to think this through, he didn’t and now here we are. Now, the GOP ind themselves in the same position and guess what, they need to think this through and they won’t.
I might have agreed with you except Schumer has announced that the democrats have no intention of working with Republicans on anything!

I get that however the Democrats and Republicans need to reach across the aisle and work together, this bickering and lack of cooperation between the two parties is hurting America. A couple people need to step up and let bygones be bygones and then start working together instead of dividing. The bickering and pettiness is just out of control stupidity.

I expect them to do just that now.

As they should. No, they must. Payback time. Here is why:

The first partisan filibuster of the Supreme Court nominee in US history came from Teddy Kennedy (remember the guy who killed the woman), with his speech in 1987 against Reagan's nominee Robert Bork, that ultimately led to Bork being rejected. During presidency of Bush senior, Democrats tried the same character assassination recipe against Clarence Thomas who was eventually confirmed with 52-48 vote.

On the other side, even after all what Democrats did to Bork and Thomas, Clinton's nominees were confirmed without serious opposition, even far liberal Ginsberg who replaced conservative Justice was approved with 96-3 vote and Breyer was confirmed with 87-9 vote.

When Bush Dubya took office in 2000 Democrats decided to push the envelope again. For the first time in history they filibuster majority of Bush nominees to circuit and district level courts. One of the worse examples of obstructionism targeted qualified nominee Miguel Estrada, whom they decided to block because he's Latino and too conservative, and in their memos, some Senators called him a Nazi. They filibuster him for years until he withdrew himself.

After Republican regained the Senate in 2004, they were considering revoking the "nuclear option" and eliminate filibuster to judicial nominees that led to "gang of 14" compromise, seven from each party. The terms of that agreement survived for years until Democrats decided they cannot abide Republicans using filibuster they had invented under Bush to thwart a limited number of Barry’s picks. Under Democrat president, Democrats abolished practice they created and activated nuclear option, while they were against the same practice when Republican was president.

To summarize, within one decade, Democrats alone introduced the concept of judicial filibusters against majority-supported nominees, then proceeded to unilaterally end it. They started the practice when they were in the minority, then blew it up when they were in the majority.

Back then we knew this was a dumb idea and Reid needed to think this through, he didn’t and now here we are. Now, the GOP ind themselves in the same position and guess what, they need to think this through and they won’t.
I might have agreed with you except Schumer has announced that the democrats have no intention of working with Republicans on anything!

I get that however the Democrats and Republicans need to reach across the aisle and work together, this bickering and lack of cooperation between the two parties is hurting America. A couple people need to step up and let bygones be bygones and then start working together instead of dividing. The bickering and pettiness is just out of control stupidity.

The issue is, of course, there is nothing written in stone so each Congress can make up it’s own rules. I’d recommend that they pick a date in the future when rules would go into effect and attach some serious poison pills to it so future congresses do not change it. Whatever the rules are for handling confirmations, the filibuster, how many days a year they are going to meet, etc… is fine; as long as they are not changeable with the whims of the majority at the time.

The issue is, of course, there is nothing written in stone so each Congress can make up it’s own rules. I’d recommend that they pick a date in the future when rules would go into effect and attach some serious poison pills to it so future congresses do not change it. Whatever the rules are for handling confirmations, the filibuster, how many days a year they are going to meet, etc… is fine; as long as they are not changeable with the whims of the majority at the time.

Simple majority. That would take care of all the issues. It worked for many many years.

Simple majority. That would take care of all the issues. It worked for many many years.

That would be a great start. Currently, if they had enough support to change it, the party in power could deem that if legislation got a single vote it would pass (1-99 in the Senate for example) the body.

If you read my post above, than you know that Democrats are those who started blocking appointments. They are ones who started changing rules. Now, they whine when tables have turned.

If we have to abide to "election have consequences" and "get in the back of bus, and let us drive", than they should do the same and taste their own medicine.

Democrats were whining about Republicans refusal to consider nomination of Garland to the Supreme Court in the final year of Barry's term.

As always, they were claiming victimhood regardless of Barry already appointing two far left Justices without almost any resistance from Republicans, and regardless of rule set by the Democrats of leaving seat vacant in final year of presidency. That exact rule have been advocated by Biden ans Schumer in 1992 and 2007 when Republican president was in office. By ignoring Garland nomination Republicans were following "Biden rule" with little bit of revenge for Democrats 2013 establishment of "nuclear Reid rule". When Reid rule prevented Democrats from obstructing Gorsuch appointment, and some other members of the cabinet, or in other words, their own rule bite them in the ass, I'm sure now they regret it. Just as Barry probably regretted attempted filibuster against Alito, once the shoe is on the other foot.

Republicans are not entirely blameless in these fights, but they are mostly retaliating against previous attacks from the left, because Democrats were almost exclusively and repeatedly responsible for the biggest provocations over several decades, they insisted on ever changing set of standards that will get them what they want whether whey have power or not, and always shamelessly changing the rules when roles are reversed.

The Garland episode was important turning point when Republicans finally forced Democrats to taste their own medicine and they hate it. Now you hear Schumer shamelessly demanding from Republicans to follow Biden rule, even it's not presidential election year. It's not gonna happen, lefties created the rules they hate to follow when they're not in power. It's payback time.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back