Regulations, taxes aren't killing small business, owners say

Data: Treat the Rich - Reason Magazine

Federal regulations are often sold as a way to rein in the biggest, most powerful corporations. Complicated accounting rules, tax requirements, and workplace regulations may eat up billions a year in compliance costs, but the alternative, it's assumed, is giant companies with unchecked power.

But some recent number-crunching by the U.S. Small Business Administration reveals that it's mom-and-pop outfits, not big box behemoths, who are hardest hit. Per employee, businesses with less than 20 workers shell out $7,647 for a combination of federal environmental, workplace, tax compliance and trade regulations. Businesses with more than 500 employees pay about 45 percent less a head. With federal expenses so far out of whack with the scale of U.S. businesses, it may be easier for the bigger players to survive all that red tape.
We've already determined that "Reason" is unfamiliar with honesty.

Your Yard Sale Is Illegal - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine

Thinking of having a yard sale this weekend? Before you do, be sure to consult CSPC Publication #254 [PDF].

This handy 28-pager from the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) reminds the American people that, thanks to the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (which I have blogged about here and here), the government is totally in charge of your yard sale:

""This handbook will help sellers of used products identify types of potentially hazardous products that could harm children or others. CPSC’s laws and regulations apply to anyone who sells or distributes consumer products. This includes thrift stores, consignment stores, charities, and individuals holding yard sales and flea markets.""

Selling old kids books, anything with metal, paint, or plastic that a kid might use, old clothes or shoes with metal components that a kid might wear? You know, any of the stuff people routinely sell at yard sales? Technically, you could be on the hook for thousands of dollars worth of fines. Obviously, it's unlikely the CPSA goons are going to bust up your yard sale. But putting out a detailed booklet that reserves the right to do so is hardly encouraging about where the implementation of this legislation is heading

sigh. Do you seriously believe everything you see written on the internet simply because it serves your confirmation bias.

What you posted is untrue.
Sellers of used children's products, such as thrift stores and consignment stores, are not required to certify that those products meet the new lead limits, phthalates standard or new toy standards.

snopes.com: Resale of Used Children's Clothes and Books

Sorry Charlie::

Snope OFTEN uses a banner head that disagrees with the DETAILS of it's findings.. They don't allow ANY SNIPS from the page.. But if you read further the CPSC "rulings" are COMPLETELY ambiguous..

((I'm going to laboriously RETYPE the SNOPES section --- just for you!! -- Because you care))

""Of course VENDORS of second hand products still face the quandry that even tho the CPSC has tated they are exempt from the testing and certification requirements of the CPSIA, they STILL HAVE TO ENSURE THAT THE ITEMS THEY SELL MEET the new standards for lead and phthalate content. SOME vendors have responded by DISCARDING inventory from classes of items they are unsure about, keeping track of recall notices, and contacting the original suppliers or manufacturers.""""

In addition the "clarification" states that:

Those resellers that do sell products in violation of the new limits could face civil and/or criminal penalties.

Look Ravi -- I'm not misrepresenting ANYTHING here. The kind of bureaucratic ass-covering "double speak" has folks discounting the "clarification". And there is no real undoing of the damage here without expressly AMENDING and REWRITING the CPSIA in a comprehensible and well - thought - manner..

Federal regulations are often sold as a way to rein in the biggest, most powerful corporations. Complicated accounting rules, tax requirements, and workplace regulations may eat up billions a year in compliance costs, but the alternative, it's assumed, is giant companies with unchecked power.

But some recent number-crunching by the U.S. Small Business Administration reveals that it's mom-and-pop outfits, not big box behemoths, who are hardest hit. Per employee, businesses with less than 20 workers shell out $7,647 for a combination of federal environmental, workplace, tax compliance and trade regulations. Businesses with more than 500 employees pay about 45 percent less a head. With federal expenses so far out of whack with the scale of U.S. businesses, it may be easier for the bigger players to survive all that red tape.

WE HAVE?? How about we just impeach Mother Jones, The Nation, and NPR as well?

Cop-out -- Tired of this shit about YOUR sources don't stink....

Thinking of having a yard sale this weekend? Before you do, be sure to consult CSPC Publication #254 [PDF].

This handy 28-pager from the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) reminds the American people that, thanks to the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (which I have blogged about here and here), the government is totally in charge of your yard sale:

""This handbook will help sellers of used products identify types of potentially hazardous products that could harm children or others. CPSC’s laws and regulations apply to anyone who sells or distributes consumer products. This includes thrift stores, consignment stores, charities, and individuals holding yard sales and flea markets.""

Selling old kids books, anything with metal, paint, or plastic that a kid might use, old clothes or shoes with metal components that a kid might wear? You know, any of the stuff people routinely sell at yard sales? Technically, you could be on the hook for thousands of dollars worth of fines. Obviously, it's unlikely the CPSA goons are going to bust up your yard sale. But putting out a detailed booklet that reserves the right to do so is hardly encouraging about where the implementation of this legislation is heading

sigh. Do you seriously believe everything you see written on the internet simply because it serves your confirmation bias.

Sellers of used children's products, such as thrift stores and consignment stores, are not required to certify that those products meet the new lead limits, phthalates standard or new toy standards.

Do you even know how to read?

Flacal posts a Reason article that quotes from a CPSC handbook that says that the new regulations apply to everyone, including resellers. You counter with an internet blog that says that the new regulations do not require resellers to test.

Let me try to counter you with another internet post, this one from the government.

Guidance for Retailers and Resellers of Children’s Products, including Thrift Stores, Consignment Shops and Charities

I run a small shop that sells new and used clothes, jewelry, shoes and toys for children. Do I need to test the products I sell?

No, you are not required to test. However, retailers and resellers (including those who sell on auction Web sites) cannot knowingly sell children’s products that do not meet the requirements of the law. You can protect yourself by screening for violative products. But more importantly, as a business person, you do not want to be selling products that have the potential to cause harm to anyone, especially a child. Sellers should avoid products likely to have lead, phthalates, or do not meet mandatory toy standards (see Table C for a list of commonly sold goods).

It is now against the law to sell a recalled product. Remember to check the list of recalled products on the CPSC Web site as a number of children’s products have been recalled.
How can I determine if something has lead in it before I sell it?
Resellers, in particular, need to make sound business decisions about the products they sell. As a practical matter, you must either:
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]
  • Test the product;
  • Refuse to accept or sell the product, which will mean disposing of it if you already have it in your inventory;
  • Use your best judgment based on your knowledge of the product; or
  • Contact the manufacturer about questionable products.
It would make sense to test, rather than discard, any suspect children’s products that have a high resale value. You may want to hire a qualified, trained person in your area who can quickly screen all of your suspect products with a handheld device called an X-Ray Fluorescence (XRF) machine.

You should not rely on commercially sold lead testing kits. CPSC staff have determined that the kits are prone to give “false positive” or “false negative” results.
[/FONT]

CPSIA Guidance for Retailers and Resellers of Children's Products, including Thrift Stores, Consignment Shops and Charities

In case you have trouble with basic English, what this is telling thrift store owners and other resellers is that they do not have to test the product, but that the rest of the CPSIA applies to them, and that even if they do not test the product they are still liable for selling it if it contains lead.

Given a choice between the Reason site which says that tells me what the government says, a website that tells me the government is not saying something else, and the fact that the government is actually saying what Reason said they are, who should I listen to, you, or flacaltenn?

No, what we determined is that you are unfamiliar with it.

But thanks for playing.

Which regulations?

Anybody want to tell me what regulation is killing small businesses?

Speaking about meaningless generalities doesn't help.

We cannot REPEAL regulations that don't exist.

What regulations ought to be repealed?

I DID Editec -- check my previous posts that Synth has ignored. An entire industry of small biz effected.. Need another???
I didn't ignore it. The lovely Ravi answered better than I could have, so there was no need for anything more from me.

And Ravishing Ravi does it again!

Her post was refuted twice. If that is your idea of accomplishment I understand why you think Obama is doing a good job.

More evidence:

NABE: National Association for Business Economics

The president is attempting to pass free trade agreements with Columbia, Panama, and South Korea. The view of almost 82 percent of NABE Policy Survey panelists is that these agreements should be passed, with 45 percent asserting that such agreements are long overdue and should be passed as soon as possible. Another 37 percent suggested that passage should occur only if trade adjustment assistance for displaced workers is coupled with the agreements. The remainder of the panel expressed the view that international trade is hurting American workers, and they would not support the passage of these or any other free trade agreements.

Regulatory activity has gained a lot of attention, with many groups suggesting that American businesses are overregulated by the current administration. With that said, 80 percent of survey respondents felt that the current regulatory environment was “good” for American businesses and the overall economy.

Her post was refuted twice. If that is your idea of accomplishment I understand why you think Obama is doing a good job.

Sidebar with the Windbag here..

When can we ever expect to get an honest debate out of the statists on the board? It's not possible. There are only a 3 or 4 representatives of their side who want to engage in facts and reason. And we are wasting time with an obvious leftist who choses a screen name like Synthaholic??

Should have been a dead give-away because near as i can tell -- it literally means "he's addicted to making stuff up"..

I'm depressed, I'm reporting to the field hospital.. Battle fatigue -- Synth has out-fabricated me.. :bowdown:

More evidence:

NABE: National Association for Business Economics

The president is attempting to pass free trade agreements with Columbia, Panama, and South Korea. The view of almost 82 percent of NABE Policy Survey panelists is that these agreements should be passed, with 45 percent asserting that such agreements are long overdue and should be passed as soon as possible. Another 37 percent suggested that passage should occur only if trade adjustment assistance for displaced workers is coupled with the agreements. The remainder of the panel expressed the view that international trade is hurting American workers, and they would not support the passage of these or any other free trade agreements.

Regulatory activity has gained a lot of attention, with many groups suggesting that American businesses are overregulated by the current administration. With that said, 80 percent of survey respondents felt that the current regulatory environment was “good” for American businesses and the overall economy.

First off, comapring the American regulatories to 3rd world countries isn't a debate winner for small businesses

Most small mom & pop biz's aren't going to offshore, relocate, or otherwise take adavatnge of libertopian anarchy

Secondly, don't mention the CPSC around a sparky. They are a corrupt boot licking tool of large manufacturuers who IMPORT crap from the above scenario

You people who want to stand on this egotstical 'America numero uno' jingofest should consider following the $$$$ once in a while

guess what, it ain't in the coffers of sm biz here , and it ain't because we're over regulated it's because the reagulatory and enforcement agencies we DO have don't take their marching orders from us

Last edited:

Forum List

Back