Regulations, taxes aren't killing small business, owners say

So, Rip Daniels is the "poster boy" for all small business owners?

No, he is one of the examples used in the story.

Why are YOU trying to make him out to be the poster boy for small business? I think we know.

The guy that's representative of small business owners across the country?
Nope. A guy that's telling his experience with taxes and regulations and insurance.

This is Rip's radio program home page. I suggest you look at it and then tell me if you think Rip has an "agenda" and what you think it might be.

itisanewday.com > Home
What does it have to do with regulations and taxes on small business? Oh, that's right - nothing.

He was "chosen" by the newspaper doing the survey as one of the two people they decided to quote in the piece. I was just curious about his background (since in general I'm skeptical of 90% of what I read from the MSM these days) so I Googled him. From what I saw on the home page of his radio show, I'd classify 'ole Rip as someone who could be counted on to back any liberal agenda pretty much right down the line.

Quite frankly...I find it hard to believe that any survey of business owners would have them ALL saying that not only didn't they MIND government regulations but they welcomed them. God, knows I never have. The hoops they made me jump through to buy alcohol when I was running a restaurant in North Carolina was a MAJOR pain in the ass. I literally had to spend hours each week doing inventories and paper work to comply with the State regulations.

they will never face reality.

Facts just dont matter to them.

Only the historically failed ideas of their right wing cult matters to them.

Conservatives don't want to face "reality" and liberals do? Are you REALLY trying to claim that? Let's see...

Conservatives are telling the country that entitlements have to be reformed or they will be insolvent inside of fifteen years. Liberals are telling the country that we can go on as we have.

Conservatives are telling the country that the deficit needs to be cut before our credit rating gets downgraded even further. Liberals as telling the country that it's perfectly fine to borrow more money because the whole S&P downgrade was an "error".

Conservatives are telling the country that stimulus spending on the Public Sector won't stimulate long term job growth. Liberals are telling the country that it will...but we have to spend a WHOLE LOT MORE!

So tell me again who it is that's not willing to face "reality"? I find THAT particular charge highly amusing.

Last edited:
Bullshit! His insurance cost isn't regulated by the government.

What planet do you live on? Businesses are required by government regulation to carry worker's comp, health insurance, liability, and dozens of other insurance policies. Last time I priced worker's comp insurance I would have had to pay $25,000 a year to cover the minimally required 5 workers, even though I did not have 5 employees. I dropped the contract rather than go to the expense, which actually put 2 people out of work.

I am rarely this confrontational unless someone has come at me guns blazing but when I see outright lies, well there you go. I own a business and some of the stuff you've already spewed were clues that you were making stuff up but this post is proof. Unless you're talking about owning a very small nuclear power plant or you're paying these 5 Phantom employees $200K+ each, you're just pulling this shit outta your ass.
You're a liar. You don't own a business. You're making this shit up behind the anonymity of the net to try to validate a bullshit argument.
The below doesn't format quite right but the table is available if you scroll down here:

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/ecec.pdf

Civilian workers, by major occupational and industry group, March 2011
Compensation
component
Occupational group
All
workers1
Total compensation .................................................. $30.07 100.0 $49.81 100.0 $22.54 100.0 $16.48 100.0
Wages and salaries .............................................. 20.91 69.6 34.86 70.0 15.87 70.4 11.70 71.0
Total benefits ........................................................ 9.15 30.4 14.95 30.0 6.68 29.6 4.78 29.0
Paid leave ......................................................... 2.09 7.0 3.97 8.0 1.48 6.5 0.91 5.5
Vacation ........................................................ 1.00 3.3 1.87 3.7 0.72 3.2 0.43 2.6
Holiday .......................................................... 0.65 2.2 1.18 2.4 0.47 2.1 0.29 1.7
Sick ............................................................... 0.33 1.1 0.70 1.4 0.21 0.9 0.15 0.9
Personal ....................................................... 0.11 0.4 0.23 0.5 0.07 0.3 0.04 0.3
Supplemental pay ............................................. 0.70 2.3 1.10 2.2 0.45 2.0 0.30 1.8
Health ........................................................... 2.53 8.4 3.78 7.6 2.11 9.4 1.37 8.3
Retirement and savings .................................... 1.36 4.5 2.59 5.2 0.77 3.4 0.64 3.9
Defined benefit ............................................. 0.83 2.7 1.54 3.1 0.35 1.6 0.51 3.1
Defined contribution ...................................... 0.54 1.8 1.05 2.1 0.42 1.9 0.14 0.8
Legally required benefits .................................. 2.33 7.8 3.27 6.6 1.77 7.9 1.52 9.2
Social Security and Medicare ....................... 1.69 5.6 2.72 5.5 1.32 5.9 0.98 5.9
Social Security7 ........................................ 1.35 4.5 2.14 4.3 1.06 4.7 0.79 4.8
Workers’ compensation ................................ 0.43 1.4 0.36 0.7 0.24 1.1 0.36 2.2

Next time you tell outright lies or act like someone you're not, try to be more convincing...

So, because the BLS says that the average cost per hour is x, that maens that y, which is higher, is impossible. Does that mean that s, which is lower, is also impossible?

Here is what happened in more detail.

The apartment complex I sub contracted for was required by the state to pay workers comp for all employees, which would have included my company. They informed me of this, and I checked into the requirements. Given that I subcontracted in hospitality and construction, I personally had a less than perfect credit rating, and the government required me to cover a minimum number of employees, even though I did not employ that many people, and actually had no full time employees, my costs would be on the high side of that average number. Given that I was charging the complex at a rate that was approximately 3 times what I was actually paying my employees, they required me to carry a minimum amount of coverage that was even higher than what the state did.

Those factors, in combination, resulted in the ridiculous quote I got.

I dropped the contract, I never actually paid that, I could not afford it.

Just wanted to show-off my new "anti-regulation" footer for Synthaholic.. Seems he doesn't understand that all US handmade crafts for kids biz is on the brink of extinction because of regulation..

How you like it Synth??

Just wanted to show-off my new "anti-regulation" footer for Synthaholic.. Seems he doesn't understand that all US handmade crafts for kids biz is on the brink of extinction because of regulation..

How you like it Synth??

I have pointed out repeatedly how the CPSIA is bad for business, unless you are Mattell, but they insist that regulations are good.

There are about 30 million small businesses in the US. I saw a "random" sampling of about 6. Since McClatchy didn't specify the question or how the "random" businesses were chosen I smell a rat. You can pick a liberal democrat run business at random usually by the skin color of the owner. I expect all the "random" samplings were fed opinions about the greedy rich and crooked banks and probably coached about their answers.

So, Rip Daniels is the "poster boy" for all small business owners?

Why are YOU trying to make him out to be the poster boy for small business? I think we know.

Nope. A guy that's telling his experience with taxes and regulations and insurance.

This is Rip's radio program home page. I suggest you look at it and then tell me if you think Rip has an "agenda" and what you think it might be.

itisanewday.com > Home
What does it have to do with regulations and taxes on small business? Oh, that's right - nothing.

He was "chosen" by the newspaper doing the survey as one of the two people they decided to quote in the piece.

False.

Bernard Wolfson, the president of Hospitality Operations in Miami

Rick Douglas — the owner of Minit Maids

Then there's Rip Daniels. He owns four businesses in Gulfport, Miss.: real estate ventures, a radio station and a boutique hotel/bistro.

Christopher Zajic, of Zajic Appliance.

Dennis Sweeney, a co-owner of Summit Sportswear Inc.

Andy Weingarten, who owns Almar Auto Repair in Charlotte

Added Barry Grant, the regional president of Meritage Homes Corp

Lynn Swager, a co-owner of Brass on Ivory

I count at least 8 small businessmen.

If you can't get a simple thing like this correct, I'm probably wasting my time talking to you.

There are about 30 million small businesses in the US. I saw a "random" sampling of about 6. Since McClatchy didn't specify the question or how the "random" businesses were chosen I smell a rat. You can pick a liberal democrat run business at random usually by the skin color of the owner. I expect all the "random" samplings were fed opinions about the greedy rich and crooked banks and probably coached about their answers.

If they talk enough, eventually they give themselves away.
yes.gif

He was "chosen" by the newspaper doing the survey as one of the two people they decided to quote in the piece.

False.
Bernard Wolfson, the president of Hospitality Operations in Miami

Rick Douglas — the owner of Minit Maids

Then there's Rip Daniels. He owns four businesses in Gulfport, Miss.: real estate ventures, a radio station and a boutique hotel/bistro.

Christopher Zajic, of Zajic Appliance.

Dennis Sweeney, a co-owner of Summit Sportswear Inc.

Andy Weingarten, who owns Almar Auto Repair in Charlotte

Added Barry Grant, the regional president of Meritage Homes Corp

Lynn Swager, a co-owner of Brass on Ivory

I count at least 8 small businessmen.

If you can't get a simple thing like this correct, I'm probably wasting my time talking to you.

You need to learn how to count.

Hospitality Operations owns and operates 5 Hampton Inns and 1 Wingate Hotel. That is not a small business, and it explains why his quote was featured, and why he loves regulations that require expensive compliance measures. He can afford it.

Welcome to Hospitality Operations - Hospitality Operations, Inc. prides itself on its excellent reputation and outstanding success in the hospitality industry. Hospitality Operations has hotels located in Florida, brands such as, Hampton Inn, Hampton

Meritage Homes is a huge builder/developer, and is also not a small business.

Meritage Homes: 25 years of building dreams

You're either lying or were being taken for a ride. Or you work in a very dangerous and deadly industry. $25,000 :lol:

Besides, if you are required to have WC, you are required to have it, no matter what contracts you take.

Yep, I work cleaning apartments. All those chimerical are extremely dangerous, you should see the MSDS files I have to keep.
Sorry, then. I just don't believe you. No way your worker's comp is $25,000 per year for five employees.

those chimericals have wings and scales and a serpent's tail.

fantastically dangerous.

How you like it Synth??
Why do you lie? That regulation took effect in 2008 and the company in question is still in business and still selling wooden toys.

What color is that?

Which regulations?

Anybody want to tell me what regulation is killing small businesses?

Speaking about meaningless generalities doesn't help.

We cannot REPEAL regulations that don't exist.

What regulations ought to be repealed?

Which regulations?

The CPSIA.

Cut and pasted from another thread in case anybody missed it:

A word about deregulation - The NFIB (National Federation of Independent Business) does a survey of small business owners. In the latest one for July 2011, small business owners cite poor sales at 23%, taxes at 20%, and gov't regulations and red tape at 16% for their biggest problem. It is not going to be the sole reason or even biggest reason why businesses are not hiring, but it's not inconsequential either. There are estimates that small businesses have to spend approx $10k per employee to comply with all the rules, old and new, $8k for their larger brethen companies.

So, poor sales (lack of demand) is obviously a factor, but it's not that simple to just assume that our troubles are over if demand picks up. Why? Because it's gotta be sustained, it's great if we fix a road or a bridge but 6 months later the guys are out of work again and we've added another trillion or so to the debt/deficit. It should be obvious by now that stimulus packages are not the answer, however large they are. Sure, you get an uptick, but you don't solve the problem.

Small Business Economic Trends Survey - NFIB Optimism Index

Which regulations?

I DID Editec -- check my previous posts that Synth has ignored. An entire industry of small biz effected.. Need another???

Just to illustrate the unintended side effects of onerous regulations -- here's how you extrapolate from the "local" regs to national regulatory policies..

The Death of Main Street - Reason Magazine

((Heavily <SNIPPED>))

The Alexandria Times article explained how Old Town Alexandria's
onerous permit process and regulatory system have put a strain on
small businesses, especially the small, independent outfits that
give Old Town all of its charm. I'm fairly anti-regulation, but
even I don't have too much of a problem with city ordinances that
attempt to preserve unique neighborhoods with a distinct vibe or
identity, particularly when the aim is to keep the quaint,
historical atmosphere of a place like Old Town. These sorts of
regulations are about as localized as you can get, in this case
covering just a couple dozen or so city blocks.

For example, if you want to do something as simple as change the
lettering on, or repaint the sign outside of your business in Old
Town, you need to both apply for and pay $50 to obtain a "ladder
permit," and apply for and pay $55 for a "building permit."

It can take more than two weeks to get the proper paperwork, even
if all you want to do is replace the "e" on your "Ye Olde
Sandwich Shoppe" sign. More significant changes, obviously,
require more bureaucratic hassle.

The question is, should you really need to have to keep lawyer on
retainer in order to open a business in Old Town? Is that really
the kind of business atmosphere the city's elected officials want
to create? And if Old Town is going to make that a
requirement&#8212;intentionally or not&#8212;what effect is that going to
have on the small boutiques, art galleries, and antique stores
that make up the very atmosphere the regulations are trying to
promote?

The answer, I think, lies in what's happened to Old Town over the
last decade or so. It's been Gap-i-fied. The independent spots
are closing down, and they're being replaced by familiar national
chains. Old Town now has a Gap, a Chipotle, a Nine West, a Ross,
a CVS, a Restoration Hardware, a Banana Republic, and loads of
other stores you can find in just about every other part of the
country. Parts of it are like a strip mall now, albeit one
outfitted in Virginia red brick and quaint colonial architecture.

Local officials who simultaneously decry big box stores and
national chains while doling out burdensome regulatory structures
and complicated permit processes should understand that
regulatory burdens hit the smaller, independent places hardest,
because they're the places that have the smallest amount of
discretionary cash to hire legal aid
(or, if you're really
cynical, to make the appropriate campaign contributions).

There's a larger lesson in all of this, too. Those who push for
federal regulations to rein in "big business" often don't realize
that the biggest of big businesses don't mind heavy federal
regulation at all. They have the resources to comply with them,
not to mention the clout in Washington to get the regulations
written in a way that most hurts upstarts and competitors.

Big businesses know that a heavy regulatory burden is the best
way to make sure small- and medium-sized businesses never rise up
to challenge them

So THANKS SYNTH for your support of BIG BUSINESS!!!

Your Yard Sale Is Illegal - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine

Thinking of having a yard sale this weekend? Before you do, be sure to consult CSPC Publication #254 [PDF].

This handy 28-pager from the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) reminds the American people that, thanks to the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (which I have blogged about here and here), the government is totally in charge of your yard sale:

""This handbook will help sellers of used products identify types of potentially hazardous products that could harm children or others. CPSC&#8217;s laws and regulations apply to anyone who sells or distributes consumer products. This includes thrift stores, consignment stores, charities, and individuals holding yard sales and flea markets.""

Selling old kids books, anything with metal, paint, or plastic that a kid might use, old clothes or shoes with metal components that a kid might wear? You know, any of the stuff people routinely sell at yard sales? Technically, you could be on the hook for thousands of dollars worth of fines. Obviously, it's unlikely the CPSA goons are going to bust up your yard sale. But putting out a detailed booklet that reserves the right to do so is hardly encouraging about where the implementation of this legislation is heading

Your Yard Sale Is Illegal - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine

Thinking of having a yard sale this weekend? Before you do, be sure to consult CSPC Publication #254 [PDF].

This handy 28-pager from the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) reminds the American people that, thanks to the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (which I have blogged about here and here), the government is totally in charge of your yard sale:

""This handbook will help sellers of used products identify types of potentially hazardous products that could harm children or others. CPSC’s laws and regulations apply to anyone who sells or distributes consumer products. This includes thrift stores, consignment stores, charities, and individuals holding yard sales and flea markets.""

Selling old kids books, anything with metal, paint, or plastic that a kid might use, old clothes or shoes with metal components that a kid might wear? You know, any of the stuff people routinely sell at yard sales? Technically, you could be on the hook for thousands of dollars worth of fines. Obviously, it's unlikely the CPSA goons are going to bust up your yard sale. But putting out a detailed booklet that reserves the right to do so is hardly encouraging about where the implementation of this legislation is heading

sigh. Do you seriously believe everything you see written on the internet simply because it serves your confirmation bias.

What you posted is untrue.
Sellers of used children's products, such as thrift stores and consignment stores, are not required to certify that those products meet the new lead limits, phthalates standard or new toy standards.

snopes.com: Resale of Used Children's Clothes and Books

Data: Treat the Rich - Reason Magazine

Federal regulations are often sold as a way to rein in the biggest, most powerful corporations. Complicated accounting rules, tax requirements, and workplace regulations may eat up billions a year in compliance costs, but the alternative, it's assumed, is giant companies with unchecked power.

But some recent number-crunching by the U.S. Small Business Administration reveals that it's mom-and-pop outfits, not big box behemoths, who are hardest hit. Per employee, businesses with less than 20 workers shell out $7,647 for a combination of federal environmental, workplace, tax compliance and trade regulations. Businesses with more than 500 employees pay about 45 percent less a head. With federal expenses so far out of whack with the scale of U.S. businesses, it may be easier for the bigger players to survive all that red tape.

Forum List

Back