Refugees "Liberate" Bus To Escape New Orleans

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
this is what it came down to folks.... good on these kids for sharp thinking to get out of that hell hole....

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/topstory2/3334317

School bus comandeered by renegade refugees first to arrive at Astrodome
By SALATHEIA BRYANT and CYNTHIA LEONOR GARZA
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

The first busload of New Orleans refugees to reach the Reliant Astrodome overnight was a group of people who commandeered a school bus in the city ravaged by Hurricane Katrina and drove to Houston looking for shelter.

Jabbar Gibson, 20, said police in New Orleans told him and others to take the school bus and try to get out of the flooded city.

Gibson drove the bus from the flooded Crescent City, picking up stranded people, some of them infants, along the way. Some of those on board had been in the Superdome, among those who were supposed to be evacuated to Houston on more than 400 buses Wednesday and today. They couldn't wait.

The group of mostly teenagers and young adults pooled what little money they had to buy diapers for the babies and fuel for the bus.

After arriving at the Astrodome at about 10:30 p.m., however, they initially were refused entry by Reliant officials who said the aging landmark was reserved for the 23,000 people being evacuated from the Louisiana Superdome.

"Now, we don't have nowhere to go," Gibson said. "We heard the Astrodome was open for people from New Orleans. We ain't ate right, we ain't slept right. They don't want to give us no help. They don't want to let us in."

Milling about the Reliant entrance, Sheila Nathan, 38, told her teary-eyed toddler that she was too tired to hold him.

"I'm trying to make it a fairy tale so they won't panic," said Nathan, who had four grandchildren in tow. "I have to be strong for them."

After about 20 minutes of confusion and consternation, Red Cross officials announced that the group of about 50 to 70 evacuees would be allowed into the Astrodome.

All were grateful to be out of the devastation and misery that had overtaken their hometown.

"I feel good to get out of New Orleans," said Demetrius Henderson, who got off the bus with his wife and three children. Many of those around him alternated between excited, cranky and nervous, clutching suitcases or plastic garbage bags of clothes.

They looked as bedraggled as their grueling ride would suggest: 13 hours on the commandeered bus driven by a 20-year-old man. Watching bodies float by as they tried to escape the drowning city. Picking up people along the way. Three stops for fuel. Chugging into Reliant Park, only to be told initially that they could not spend the night.

Every bit worth it.

"We took the bus and got out of the city. We were trying to get out of the city," James Hickerson said.

Several passengers on the bus said they took the matter into their own hands earlier Wednesday because they felt rescuers and New Orleans authorities were too slow in offering help.

"They are not worried about us," said Makivia Horton, 22, who is five months pregnant.

[email protected]

[email protected]

Greta VanSusteren had this kid on her TV show last week. First I had heard of this story. Why couldn't the Mayor of New Orleans or the Governor of Louisiana have come up with such a simple plan? Guess that's why the liberal MSM didn't run the story. Didn't want the public to ask the same question I asked. But it was a great story kept from the public--a 20-year old kid who had never driven a school bus before, commandeered one and drove 70 people to the Astrodome in Houston.

Adam's Apple said:
Greta VanSusteren had this kid on her TV show last week. First I had heard of this story. Why couldn't the Mayor of New Orleans or the Governor of Louisiana have come up with such a simple plan? Guess that's why the liberal MSM didn't run the story. Didn't want the public to ask the same question I asked. But it was a great story kept from the public--a 20-year old kid who had never driven a school bus before, commandeered one and drove 70 people to the Astrodome in Houston.

Heh, can we get him an honorary driver's license? I bet he was praying the whole way, and I would have been doing the same thing if I was in his shoes, God knows I was nervous when I first grabbed the wheel... and that was a of a sedan, not a big bus. I'm so happy they got out of there and are safe.

I say give him national hero status. A 20-year old from New Orleans who can think on his feet in an emergency. Sure did show up the elected LA pols that time.

Adam's Apple said:
I say give him national hero status. A 20-year old from New Orleans who can think on his feet in an emergency. Sure did show up the elected LA pols that time.

:teeth:

Ladies and gentlemen... our new mayor of New New Orleans!

By using good common sense in solving the problem of how to get people without transportation out of New Orleans before Katrina hit, this kid showed that he could run rings around Major Nagin. Nagin could have come up with the same answer--there were more than 200 idle school buses, hotel courtesy buses, church buses, tour buses, etc., that he could have "commandeered" - but he didn't.

Anyway, thanks for your post about this one kid who made a difference. It was great and is probably the first time those reading this board have ever heard about it.

Adam's Apple said:
By using good common sense in solving the problem of how to get people without transportation out of New Orleans before Katrina hit, this kid showed that he could run rings around Major Nagin. Nagin could have come up with the same answer--there were more than 200 idle school buses, hotel courtesy buses, church buses, tour buses, etc., that he could have "commandeered" - but he didn't.

Anyway, thanks for your post about this one kid who made a difference. It was great and is probably the first time those reading this board have ever heard about it.

In the mayor's defense, he grabbed both cheeks, but try as he might, just couldn't pull his head out of his ass. The suction was just too great.

I'm really surprised no one tried to relieve this kid. It's not a gocery store run from NO to Houston.

Adam's Apple said:

Well, ummm, it WAS on the emergency evacuation plan, they just hadn't set up the implementation process. That was Bush's fault too, he should have told them to. :rolleyes:

Adam's Apple said:
Uhhh, the story was all over the news in the first few days or so after it happened. Guess you weren't watching. Down here they cancelled classes - so while I wasn't out helping out I was glued to the TV, and I saw this story on multiple networks.

Kathianne said:
Well, ummm, it WAS on the emergency evacuation plan, they just hadn't set up the implementation process. That was Bush's fault too, he should have told them to. :rolleyes:

Finally someone who knows the difference between a plan and an implementation.

Forum List

Back