Refugee-team to take part at Olympic Games of Rio2016

Maggdy

Silver Member
Apr 14, 2015
TX.
"Olympic chiefs give go ahead for 'refugee team' to take part at Rio 2016
More than 40 high-performance athletes, who are also refugees with no home country, have been identified as possible team members in Brazil.

A team of up to 10 refugees could take part in the Rio Olympics after the International Olympic Committee (IOC) gave the plan the green light on Wednesday.

So far, 43 high-performance athletes, who are also refugees, have been identified as possibly being eligible for the Games which get underway in the Brazilian city on 5 August.

“The final number of athletes that would make up this team depends of qualification criteria,” said IOC president Thomas Bach after a meeting of the body’s executive committee on Wednesday.

He added that the team would compete under the flag of the IOC.

“I can just give you my feeling, but I believe that this team could feature between five and 10 athletes,” said Bach.

“We have all been touched by the magnitude of this refugee crisis. By welcoming this team, we want to send a message of hope to all the refugees in the world.”

The IOC had already identified in December three athletes who had fled their home countries and whose skills could be of a high enough standard to feature in the 2016 Olympics.

They were a Syrian swimmer based in Germany, a judoka from the Democratic Republic of Congo who was living in Brazil and an Iranian taekwondo fighter training in Belgium....

Of the remaining 40 athletes, who are aged between 17 and 30, more than half were identified at the vast Kakuma refugee camp in northwestern Kenya, about 55 miles (90km) from the border with war-torn South Sudan.

Pere Miro, the director of the IOC’s Olympic Solidarity programme, which is behind the team, said that after visiting the sprawling camp in January he was “more convinced than ever that pulling together a refugee team could work”.

“I was touched in seeing how the people live in this camp,” Miro has said. “It’s in the middle of nowhere. They have nothing to do. The main activity that keeps them motivated and alive is sport.”

My personal opinion: Sorry, I really like this. I cried when I read Yusra Mardini's story, because I feel the her divided joy is and her enormous bitterness, but I am happy that she has hope and faith.

From Syria to Rio: refugee Yusra Mardini targets Olympic swimming spot:

"Last summer, Yusra Mardini and her sister Sarah fled their home in Damascus for Beirut, Istanbul and finally Izmir in Turkey, where they managed to squeeze on to a dinghy crossing the Mediterranean to the Greek island of Lesbos. Thirty minutes into their journey, however, the motor stopped and the boat, carrying 20 people rather than the six or seven it was intended for, threatened to capsize.

Yusra, Sarah and another woman got into the water, pushing and pulling the dinghy until they reached the shore. They were the only ones on board who could swim. “I thought it would be a real shame if I drowned in the sea, because I am a swimmer,” she told a Berlin press conference on Friday. She has hated the open sea ever since.

In August, almost exactly a year after that treacherous crossing, Mardini is hoping her swimming ability could once again change her life, but in a much happier circumstance. Now living and training in Germany, the 18-year-old is one of 43 athletes across the world who, despite having fled their homelands and become refugees, are vying for the chance to compete in the Rio Olympics."

More: From Syria to Rio: refugee Yusra Mardini targets Olympic swimming spot

Training bei den Wasserfreunden: Ysra (l.) und Sarah Mardini.
Foto: Berliner Zeitung/Markus Wächter
71-92172496--training-bei-d--20-11-2015-17-48-26-875-.jpg

Video report by ITV News correspondent Richard Pallot:
Syrian refugee swimmer trying to qualify for Olympics: 'When you have a problem you don't have to sit around and cry'
420508-yusra-mardini-could-represent-a-new-refugee-banner-at-rio.jpg

Wrong forum:
Forums > US Discussion > Immigration/Illegal Immigration
Please pay attention to the "US Discussion" part

..and this affects immigration in the U.S.A. how?

"The 2016 Summer Olympics , officially known as the Games of the XXXI Olympiad, and commonly known as Rio 2016, are a major international multi-sport event that will take place in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, from August 5 to August 21, 2016. Record numbers of countries and sets of medals are awaiting in the games. More than 10,500 athletes from 206 National Olympic Committees (NOCs), including from Kosovo and South Sudan for the first time, will take part in this sporting event."
more: 2016 Summer Olympics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Furthermore, I agree with the IOC (International Olympic Committee) president Thomas Bach, who said:
“We have all been touched by the magnitude of this refugee crisis. By welcoming this team, we want to send a message of hope to all the refugees in the world.”

Wrong forum:

"The 2016 Summer Olympics , officially known as the Games of the XXXI Olympiad, and commonly known as Rio 2016, are a major international multi-sport event that will take place in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, from August 5 to August 21, 2016. Record numbers of countries and sets of medals are awaiting in the games. More than 10,500 athletes from 206 National Olympic Committees (NOCs), including from Kosovo and South Sudan for the first time, will take part in this sporting event."

Furthermore, I agree with the IOC (International Olympic Committee) president Thomas Bach, who said:
Again, how does that affect U.S. immigration? This forum is designated to U.S. immigration/illegal immigration.
Pay attention to the "US Discussion" part. Thank you for your diligent efforts to promote the Olympics but this is a US immigration forum.
Try Forums > Global Discussion

Wrong forum:

Again, how does that affect U.S. immigration? This forum is designated to U.S. immigration/illegal immigration.
Pay attention to the "US Discussion" part. Thank you for your diligent efforts to promote the Olympics but this is a US immigration forum.

Topic's in center are the immigrants, who do not live anywhere really in the world, just a fact is that refugees.

Wrong forum:

Topic's in center are the immigrants, who do not live anywhere really in the world, just a fact is that refugees.
I give up. Either you are dumb or deliberately don't want to understand. This particular forum is designated to U.S. immigration and not E.U. immigration. Have at it imbecile.

Wrong forum:

I give up. Either you are dumb or deliberately don't want to understand. This particular forum is designated to U.S. immigration and not E.U. immigration. Have at it imbecile.

The US athletes will compete against the immigrants' "country".

Forum List

Back