Reforming the Judiciary

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Some of these have been discussed, but I like that this rounds them up and gives possible solutions:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7469954/#050413

What should be done depends on what you think the problem is.• April 13, 2005 | 1:07 PM ET

So I've been pointing out that there's a lot of over-the-top talk about the federal judiciary. But what should more sensible people be talking about, instead of quoting Stalin and calling for the impeachment of Justice Kennedy, when that's never going to happen?

Well, what should be done depends on what you think the problem is. I'm going to outline some potential problems and solutions. I don't necessarily endorse these solutions, but they're all more serious than what we've heard from the Stalin-quoting crowd.

(1) Judicial activism in the Terri Schiavo case. Here, I think the complaint is just off-base. Congress passed a procedural statute, and was disappointed that it didn't get the substantive result that it wanted. (And if it had really wanted to keep Terri Schiavo alive, it could have passed a law authorizing President Bush to draft her; she'd still be in Walter Reed on a feeding tube now if they had done that, and given the extent of government conscription powers, no court could have interfered.)

But if Congress thinks that people are being deprived of their constitutional rights on a large scale by state laws that make it too easy to remove feeding tubes from vegetative patients, Congress has the authority to pass a general statute, applying to all such cases, under its authority to enforce the 14th Amendment -- though the threshold for such action, thanks to the recent (and not at all leftist) Supreme Court "states' rights" decision in U.S. v. Morrison, is fairly high. (One might also note that Justice Scalia, in the Cruzan case, said that this sort of question should be left to state courts: "the federal courts have no business in this field." This has led, as far as I know, to only one call to impeach Scalia, and it's not a serious one.) Still, if there's really a problem, Congress has the authority to set federal guidelines. Proof that the Schiavo case was mostly about posturing can be found in Congress' unwillingness to do so -- backers of the bill, in fact, stressed that it wouldn't create a precedent, and wouldn't apply in other cases.

(2) Arrogant life-tenured judges. Judicial arrogance is certainly a real phenomenon. Changing judicial terms would require an amendment to the Constitution; not impossible, but hard. On the other hand, Congress could expand the Supreme Court -- say, to 12 judges -- by statute. If you believe the problem is arrogant holdovers, that might fix it.

Another possibility, if you're amending the Constitution anyway, would be to switch the federal judiciary to an elected office, with terms long enough to ensure it doesn't become too politicized. Eight or twelve years would do it, I suppose. Many states -- including mine -- have elected judiciaries. They're sometimes political, but then so are the federal courts.

(3) Crazy rulings on sexual harassment, etc. Actually, those could often be fixed by statute. Most of the law in those and other areas is based on judicial interpretations (or misinterpretations) of statutes; change the statute, and you solve the problem.

(4) Reliance on foreign law. I'm not crazy about that, though doing so in the context of deciding what's "cruel and unusual punishment" seems less exceptionable than doing so in other settings. It's possible that Congress could, by statute, forbid federal courts from considering foreign law in interpreting the American Constitution, as part of its Article III power to make "exceptions and regulations" of the Court's appellate jurisdiction. And if not, this is a topic on which, I suspect, a Constitutional amendment might pass pretty readily.

This doesn't exhaust the list, but it's a start. If people are unhappy with the judiciary, they need to think about how to fix it, using the Constitutional methods for doing so. You'll be able to tell the loonies and the posturers from the serious ones by whether they discuss specific reforms, or just fire unaimed broadsides at the judiciary as a whole. I hope that there will be fewer of those than there seem to be, now.

Kathianne said:
Some of these have been discussed, but I like that this rounds them up and gives possible solutions:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7469954/#050413
Thanks for the POSTIVE list of possibilties. With the current gridlock (blame both parties) in Congress and what I'll just call a lack of leadership by Bush, it seems that the judicary has stepped into the power vacuum by default and thier questionable rulings are now getting more exposure. I think change can be accomplished but by whom is another question entirely.

I am 100% opposed to the Court considering any Law or Case outside of the US Constitution. Other than that, I don't see a problem with the Judicial system.

Much noise is being made by the extreme right wing fringe and it seems to be getting lots of attention..Does that mean things are broken? I don't think so. I think it's happened many times in history by many groups. Some are just not happy with rulings...should we change the system for that? I don't think so, that would be a never ending road, wouldn't it?
In other words folks, If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just my opinion.

Mr. P said:
I am 100% opposed to the Court considering any Law or Case outside of the US Constitution. Other than that, I don't see a problem with the Judicial system.

Much noise is being made by the extreme right wing fringe and it seems to be getting lots of attention..Does that mean things are broken? I don't think so. I think it's happened many times in history by many groups. Some are just not happy with rulings...should we change the system for that? I don't think so, that would be a never ending road, wouldn't it?
In other words folks, If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just my opinion.

it's more than the extreme right wing that are complaining and we're not talking simple disagreements here-----We talking about some incredibly stupid shit.

dilloduck said:
it's more than the extreme right wing that are complaining and we're not talking simple disagreements here-----We talking about some incredibly stupid shit.
I liked this part....
You'll be able to tell the loonies and the posturers from the serious ones by whether they discuss specific reforms, or just fire unaimed broadsides at the judiciary as a whole.
You?

The right is a funny bunch. First they complain about crazy activist judges then they run to those judges and ask them to rule against years of precedent, as they did in the Schiavo case. Her husband had the legal authority to order her feeding tube removed. That is the law. Nothing activist about it. Next lets look at the death penatly. The right wants to outlaw abortion because it kills unborn babies and life is precious...but they also want to protect the death penatly.
The only problem with the courts is that they are moderate, consistent, and follow the rule of law, qualities the right finds most disturbing. As for rearanging the supreme court. Roosevelt was the last president to even talk about such action. He was quickly rebuffed and both popular and congressional support moved against him quickly. I believe the court to be in a good state of health. What has changed is the political climate. The right's argument that the court constantly seems to rule against them because the judges are activist is misplaced. The problem is not with the judges, the problem is with the cases.

Huckleburry said:
The right is a funny bunch.

I had started to take this item by item, but that's really counter-productive. You claim the "right is a funny bunch" - well, maybe so. But that's still better than the devious pack of liars on the left, who are not funny at all. You lefties have a distinct talent for glossing over the particulars in order to paint your broad-brush canvass. You criticize conservatives for attempting to secure a court ruling which suited them. What the hell is wrong with that? Libs do it all the time. Libs have no regard for legal precedent, so why do you suddenly hold it up as the equivalent of the gold standard?

Then you really step on your wanker with golf shoes by comparing the death penalty with abortion. How patently stupid! Think about it - even making allowances for the decaying thinking abilities of most of you lefties - how can you equate a child in the womb who has never harmed anyone and who is totally helpless with a serial murdering, torturing rapist who is about to get the needle he so richly deserves? Please - I want you to try to explain that one because I want to get some insight on the rotting compost heap which passes as a liberal thought process and I'd love for you to put it on display so that we can all get a good look at it.

If that wasn't enough, you then continue with some self-invented fantasy about how the courts are really moderate and that's what bothers the right. BULLSHIT. Moderate courts are, in fact, the ally of conservatives and the enemy of lib causes. That's why most really stupid decisions come from the 9th district out in la-la land. We don't object to judicial decisions based on law that was written by a legislature somewhere. We object to judicial decisions which are based solely on a "law" that some judge pulled out of his ass.

I like Limbaugh's point. Britain has legal abortions, just like us. Britain has a lot of people against that, just like us. What Britain doesn't have is a huge public argument over taking place every day. Why? Well, the obvious answer is that Britain's abortion laws were passed by the Parliment, a group of elected representatives. Abortion laws in the U.S. have hardly even been introduced to the Senate floor, but were rather passed by appointed judges who aren't held accountable to anyone or anything. Even if the end result is the same, I think we'd be a more stable country if the judges simply let the legislators do their jobs.

Forum List

Back