Reforming the Judiciary

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by Annie, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Some of these have been discussed, but I like that this rounds them up and gives possible solutions:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7469954/#050413

2. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Thanks for the POSTIVE list of possibilties. With the current gridlock (blame both parties) in Congress and what I'll just call a lack of leadership by Bush, it seems that the judicary has stepped into the power vacuum by default and thier questionable rulings are now getting more exposure. I think change can be accomplished but by whom is another question entirely.

3. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    I am 100% opposed to the Court considering any Law or Case outside of the US Constitution. Other than that, I don't see a problem with the Judicial system.

Much noise is being made by the extreme right wing fringe and it seems to be getting lots of attention..Does that mean things are broken? I don't think so. I think it's happened many times in history by many groups. Some are just not happy with rulings...should we change the system for that? I don't think so, that would be a never ending road, wouldn't it?
    In other words folks, If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just my opinion.

4. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403

it's more than the extreme right wing that are complaining and we're not talking simple disagreements here-----We talking about some incredibly stupid shit.

5. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    I liked this part....
    You?

6. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    :trolls:

7. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    LOL, exactly my point!

8. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Why ruin a perfectly good thread to flame me me Mr P.?

9. Huckleburry

Huckleburry Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20
    The right is a funny bunch. First they complain about crazy activist judges then they run to those judges and ask them to rule against years of precedent, as they did in the Schiavo case. Her husband had the legal authority to order her feeding tube removed. That is the law. Nothing activist about it. Next lets look at the death penatly. The right wants to outlaw abortion because it kills unborn babies and life is precious...but they also want to protect the death penatly.
    The only problem with the courts is that they are moderate, consistent, and follow the rule of law, qualities the right finds most disturbing. As for rearanging the supreme court. Roosevelt was the last president to even talk about such action. He was quickly rebuffed and both popular and congressional support moved against him quickly. I believe the court to be in a good state of health. What has changed is the political climate. The right's argument that the court constantly seems to rule against them because the judges are activist is misplaced. The problem is not with the judges, the problem is with the cases.

10. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450

I had started to take this item by item, but that's really counter-productive. You claim the "right is a funny bunch" - well, maybe so. But that's still better than the devious pack of liars on the left, who are not funny at all. You lefties have a distinct talent for glossing over the particulars in order to paint your broad-brush canvass. You criticize conservatives for attempting to secure a court ruling which suited them. What the hell is wrong with that? Libs do it all the time. Libs have no regard for legal precedent, so why do you suddenly hold it up as the equivalent of the gold standard?

Then you really step on your wanker with golf shoes by comparing the death penalty with abortion. How patently stupid! Think about it - even making allowances for the decaying thinking abilities of most of you lefties - how can you equate a child in the womb who has never harmed anyone and who is totally helpless with a serial murdering, torturing rapist who is about to get the needle he so richly deserves? Please - I want you to try to explain that one because I want to get some insight on the rotting compost heap which passes as a liberal thought process and I'd love for you to put it on display so that we can all get a good look at it.

If that wasn't enough, you then continue with some self-invented fantasy about how the courts are really moderate and that's what bothers the right. BULLSHIT. Moderate courts are, in fact, the ally of conservatives and the enemy of lib causes. That's why most really stupid decisions come from the 9th district out in la-la land. We don't object to judicial decisions based on law that was written by a legislature somewhere. We object to judicial decisions which are based solely on a "law" that some judge pulled out of his ass.