Reflection of Faith

GunnyL said:
Just a point .... true Southern Baptists do not display nor wear crucifixes.

I know, but I don't know what to call the other 50-75% of the people who attend your average Southern Baptist church. Now, true Southern Baptists, and pretty much the faithful crowd of any southern church, don't have bumper stickers and wear t-shirts from youth group or a mission trip (but not on Sundays)

Hobbit said:
I know, but I don't know what to call the other 50-75% of the people who attend your average Southern Baptist church. Now, true Southern Baptists, and pretty much the faithful crowd of any southern church, don't have bumper stickers and wear t-shirts from youth group or a mission trip (but not on Sundays)

Sorry, I should have given some detail. Baptists do not have religious icons, not to be confused with religious decorations. They consider ANY religious icons to be graven images.

GunnyL said:
Sorry, I should have given some detail. Baptists do not have religious icons, not to be confused with religious decorations. They consider ANY religious icons to be graven images.

Interesting. I never knew that (grew up Pentecostal). In my church, it's a graven image when you start worshipping it. Until then, it's art.

Hobbit said:
Interesting. I never knew that (grew up Pentecostal). In my church, it's a graven image when you start worshipping it. Until then, it's art.

Right. If you mount a crucifix above the pastor, front and center, that is seen as a graven image because for all intents and purposes, you ARE worshipping it. The same with wearing a crucifix as some sort of religious protective device.

However, a storybook for children in Sunday School with artwork to depict different religious people/events is perfectly acceptable as they are used to illustrate, not as religious icons to be worshipped.

GunnyL said:
Right. If you mount a crucifix above the pastor, front and center, that is seen as a graven image because for all intents and purposes, you ARE worshipping it. The same with wearing a crucifix as some sort of religious protective device.

However, a storybook for children in Sunday School with artwork to depict different religious people/events is perfectly acceptable as they are used to illustrate, not as religious icons to be worshipped.

Eh, we have a pulpit shaped like a cross because it looks cool. Most people also don't wear a cross for any wierd spiritual reason, just a cool-looking piece of jewelry that helps them express themselves.

Hobbit said:
Eh, we have a pulpit shaped like a cross because it looks cool. Most people also don't wear a cross for any wierd spiritual reason, just a cool-looking piece of jewelry that helps them express themselves.

Hey, I'm not preaching doctrine, LOL. Just explaining a little of it having been raised in the Baptist Church. I don't really put too much stock in specific church doctrine anymore.

GunnyL said:
Hey, I'm not preaching doctrine, LOL. Just explaining a little of it having been raised in the Baptist Church. I don't really put too much stock in specific church doctrine anymore.

Ok, I got ya. Anyway, back on topic.

It pains me to see people whose proclamation of their Christianity is quieter only than the string of obscenities they are screaming at the person next to them.

Forum List

Back