Reflection of Faith

Hobbit

Mar 25, 2004
Near Atlanta, GA
Ask any waiter/waitress, host/ess, or any other person in a service job, primarly food, who their most obnoxious customers are. There will be an almost unanimous reply of "Christians." Bring it up with one that's had a long (Sun)day, and you'll hear a long rant about everybody from ministers down to laymen griping, stiffing, leaving religious tracts as tips, preaching about working on "the Sabbath" (Sabbath is technically Saturday), letting their brats run rampant, and generally being a pain in the you-know-what every Sunday at lunch. The church crowd is almost universally an idea of a huge rush of rude customers.

Now, this appalls and upsets me. As a true believer in the teachings of Christ, I believe that the kindness and charity of Jesus should be refelcted in everything I do. When I'm behind the counter, I try to show extreme civility to both my customers and co-workers, turning the other cheek and sometimes getting an apology in return. When I'm in front of the counter, I am polite and patient, and I tip well so long as the service was acceptable. Christ himself said that you should be able to recognize those who follow them by their fruits (if anyone can give me a chapter and verse on this, I'd appreciate it). Would Christ stiff his server? Would Christ begrudge those who served him food on the Sabbath (in fact, I recall him rebuking people who griped about similar things)? Would Christ allow children under his care to cause misery to others? As Christians, we should always strive to mimic Christ in every way, so why is it that the after Church crowd has the worst reputation in the world?

I boggles my mind and I ask that fellow Christians do what you can to improve this image. Also, to those who aren't Christians, being a nice guy to those who wait on you can't hurt.

Now, before anybody asks, this isn't a complaint by me. I have responsibilities during the late service at church and never go to work until the lunch crowd is over. This is due to my genuine sadness over the repuation of Christians in restaurants.

Hobbit said:
Ask any waiter/waitress, host/ess, or any other person in a service job, primarly food, who their most obnoxious customers are. There will be an almost unanimous reply of "Christians." Bring it up with one that's had a long (Sun)day, and you'll hear a long rant about everybody from ministers down to laymen griping, stiffing, leaving religious tracts as tips, preaching about working on "the Sabbath" (Sabbath is technically Saturday), letting their brats run rampant, and generally being a pain in the you-know-what every Sunday at lunch. The church crowd is almost universally an idea of a huge rush of rude customers.

Now, this appalls and upsets me. As a true believer in the teachings of Christ, I believe that the kindness and charity of Jesus should be refelcted in everything I do. When I'm behind the counter, I try to show extreme civility to both my customers and co-workers, turning the other cheek and sometimes getting an apology in return. When I'm in front of the counter, I am polite and patient, and I tip well so long as the service was acceptable. Christ himself said that you should be able to recognize those who follow them by their fruits (if anyone can give me a chapter and verse on this, I'd appreciate it). Would Christ stiff his server? Would Christ begrudge those who served him food on the Sabbath (in fact, I recall him rebuking people who griped about similar things)? Would Christ allow children under his care to cause misery to others? As Christians, we should always strive to mimic Christ in every way, so why is it that the after Church crowd has the worst reputation in the world?

I boggles my mind and I ask that fellow Christians do what you can to improve this image. Also, to those who aren't Christians, being a nice guy to those who wait on you can't hurt.

Now, before anybody asks, this isn't a complaint by me. I have responsibilities during the late service at church and never go to work until the lunch crowd is over. This is due to my genuine sadness over the repuation of Christians in restaurants.

Seems to me this is more a reflection on our society, than just "Christians." Being served by someone who OBVIOUSLY would rather be anywhere else but "here" is real treat.

Our society on the whole has changed much since I was a child. As a society, we are far more self-absorbed and inconsiderate of others. But you don't have to go out to eat with Christians after church.

Just take a drive.

GunnyL said:
Seems to me this is more a reflection on our society, than just "Christians." Being served by someone who OBVIOUSLY would rather be anywhere else but "here" is real treat.

Our society on the whole has changed much since I was a child. As a society, we are far more self-absorbed and inconsiderate of others. But you don't have to go out to eat with Christians after church.

Just take a drive.

Yeah, jerks are a dime a dozen, but like I said, the after church lunch crowd has a reputation of being the worst. I try to dispell this perception every time I eat out, but it still manages to stand. I'm also reminded of the Bible verse that commands that we not conform to this world. Regardless of how everybody else acts, it's disappointing, to say the least.

GunnyL said:

Just take a drive.

Very true statement. And think of it this way-- many Christians go to church not to pay their respects to Christ but for their own desires (so they won't go to hell). There are also many genuine Christians as well. But those who go simply to save their own souls and to serve their own interests shouldn't go at all (people of other faiths are guilty of this as well). And I'm not talking out of my ass on this one, I used to go to church when I was younger.

It just seems like the fabric of America has changed: we no longer strive to be considerate and genuine, but to be self-indulging and greedy. Everything is about me, me, me, me; not you. We take little pride in helping others unless it can somehow benefit us. Of course, as with anything, there are exceptions to this generalization. But it's sad to see a decline in the moral fiber of America as it is usurped by the materialistic, egocentric ways of modern society. Good is no longer good unless it helps me in the long run.

I've waited tables for about 3 years and this is very true. Unfortunately Christians aren't very Christian when it comes to tipping.

In my experiences blacks are the worst tippers though.

And when I say that Christians are bad tippers it's not your average Christian. It's the ministers and such...

I'm with Powerman on this one...I've waitressed at several chain restaurants in both urban and suburban areas.

In my experience:

- black people will run your ass ragged then tip you next to nothing...if anything at all.

- men tip better than women (especially if the women decided they didn't like you for whatever reason)

Maybe it was just the areas I was in (Pittsburgh, PA and suburban PA), but I never noticed Christians being particularly bad tippers or mean customers.

Like Gem and Powerman, I did my time waitressing during high school, well until I got the primo job at a fabulous, now defunct bookstore. 3 years waitressing, I can't really complain, I got 'stiffed' twice, once I dropped a hot fudge sunday on a lady's lap, so it was deserved! :laugh: In general though, I'd have to say the same, though I didn't notice the blacks not tipping, women were the worse, regardless of nationality or race. However, when women were good tippers, they were REALLY good!

I had a chance to compare notes with 'our' waitress at Houlihan's in OakBrook. I worked at a similar, though more upscale restaurant in the same mall. She makes an average of $50 in 4 hours. In 197*** I made an average of $75 for 6 hours Saturdays and usually about $50 for 4 hours on a weeknight. Mind you, gas was a bit less than a dollar I think and a movie was like $2 or $2.50. I don't think I'd want to be waitressing today.

"though I didn't notice the blacks not tipping"

Keep in mind I was in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. We have a lot of blacks here. So I probably served more blacks than your average server. I worked in a restaurant that featured a lot of fried seafood which is appealing to blacks for whatever reason as well.

Powerman said:
"though I didn't notice the blacks not tipping"

Keep in mind I was in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. We have a lot of blacks here. So I probably served more blacks than your average server. I worked in a restaurant that featured a lot of fried seafood which is appealing to blacks for whatever reason as well.
Sorry, I put that wrong. There were blacks at the restaurant, but not in huge numbers. They did tip, as well as I can remember, about the same as others. I can remember getting a $50 tip and as I said, the two 'stiffs.' I never understood the other one, perhaps they just ran out of money? :dunno: :funnyface

And that is why it is always best to work in the kitchen. Everyones in the same boat, you are either making food or washing dishes, a good time is generally had by all and you do not have to deal with customers.

Edit: Yes the "church crowd" does generally suck. Not because of the christians, but because of the sheer number of people coming in in such a short time. Waitresses are working more tables the kitchen is makeing more food, so things slow down and more mistakes tend to happen, this leads to people getting angry and waitresses getting stiffed.

deaddude said:
And that is why it is always best to work in the kitchen. Everyones in the same boat, you are either making food or washing dishes, a good time is generally had by all and you do not have to deal with customers.
But it smelled bad back there! Not too mention the steam tables...

Kathianne said:
But it smelled bad back there! Not too mention the steam tables...

We had a lot of ex convicts working in our kitchen as well. I think I would prefer to work with the college kids.

The one thing that realy gets me is the whole working on the sabath bit. One time we had this guy chew out one of our nicest waitresses for working on the sabath, guy said some terrible things, hell came into it, the waitress was tearing up. So I left the kitchen told him that if he was going to lecture the waitresses that I would help keep him from sinning by not alowing him to support this establishment which so sacreligiously remained open on sunday.

deaddude said:
The one thing that realy gets me is the whole working on the sabath bit. One time we had this guy chew out one of our nicest waitresses for working on the sabath, guy said some terrible things, hell came into it, the waitress was tearing up. So I left the kitchen told him that if he was going to lecture the waitresses that I would help keep him from sinning by not alowing him to support this establishment which so sacreligiously remained open on sunday.

What a hypocrite. How are you going to go to a restaurant and bitch at the people for working on a Sabbath? That's insane. I would have asked him to leave.

We had an ex con to. He was the nicest guy there, he was doing "penence" for his crime (possesion of marijuana), wierd stuff, would not eat grapes because of he found some biblical quote about not eating grapes when doing penence.

The other thing to take into consideration is that breakfast shifts ALWAYS make less than dinner shifts...the bills are usually significantly less and the people are usually there to eat and go, rather than to enjoy the meal.

I always hated when I got stuck on the morning shifts...even if it wasn't Sunday.

Gem said:
The other thing to take into consideration is that breakfast shifts ALWAYS make less than dinner shifts...the bills are usually significantly less and the people are usually there to eat and go, rather than to enjoy the meal.

I always hated when I got stuck on the morning shifts...even if it wasn't Sunday.
Not to mention the lack of alcohol to jack up the tab. ;)

I guess it's different in different areas, and I'm just going on what I've heard from friends. I've lived in the Bible Belt most of my life, and I must admit that even I have a fairly negative view of the more commonly seen type of Southern Baptists, who comprise a large majority of the Sunday lunch crowd. These are the same types of people who go to church every time the doors are open, are never without a Bible, have a cross hanging from both neck and rear view mirror, and about 20+ different bumper stickers that say some variation of "Jesus Loves You," which provide a very dissappointing site as they zip in a space between you and another car just barely big enough at 100 miles per hour with one hand on the horn and the other one flipping you the bird. It makes me wonder if they are actually awake in church.

Personally, I'll never get onto somebody I don't know for skipping church to work on Sunday. However, I choose to give more business to those closed on Sunday (like Chik-fil-a) or that at least aren't open from dawn till dusk. I also will not buy anything on Christmas or Thanksgiving unless I am desperate or forced to travel.

Coincidentally, this is the very thing my pastor preached about in church this morning. Strange...

There is barely any after-church crowd in WA - we are the least church-going sate in the Union!

I've never worked as a waiter, but it saddens me to hear the generally low regard that wait staff and churchgoers have for each other.

Hobbit said:
I guess it's different in different areas, and I'm just going on what I've heard from friends. I've lived in the Bible Belt most of my life, and I must admit that even I have a fairly negative view of the more commonly seen type of Southern Baptists, who comprise a large majority of the Sunday lunch crowd. These are the same types of people who go to church every time the doors are open, are never without a Bible, have a cross hanging from both neck and rear view mirror, and about 20+ different bumper stickers that say some variation of "Jesus Loves You," which provide a very dissappointing site as they zip in a space between you and another car just barely big enough at 100 miles per hour with one hand on the horn and the other one flipping you the bird. It makes me wonder if they are actually awake in church.

Personally, I'll never get onto somebody I don't know for skipping church to work on Sunday. However, I choose to give more business to those closed on Sunday (like Chik-fil-a) or that at least aren't open from dawn till dusk. I also will not buy anything on Christmas or Thanksgiving unless I am desperate or forced to travel.

Coincidentally, this is the very thing my pastor preached about in church this morning. Strange...

Just a point .... true Southern Baptists do not display nor wear crucifixes.

Forum List

Back