Reducing inequality: Not more government - More marriage.

Last summer I ran into one of my former students who had a toddler and another on the way. I asked if she was still with her HS boyfriend and she said "yes". She told me he was doing very well working on a fishing boat. I know some of my fishermen friends make over six figures. I then asked when they were getting married and she laughed and said I was funny.

They think we are fools. Why marry when rent and food are being paid by the govt?

BTW - She was arguing with the produce clerk about why she couldnt use her SNAP card to buy CA strawberries. I told her that maybe if she got married her husband could buy them for her.

Working the system.

I know there are people who need help.

Our willingness to let this go on is what gets in the way of cooperation between the left and right.

Thanks for sharing.

I know of a black couple who had a "ring ceremony" with their minister present. No legal paperwork required. I dont know how prevalent these ceremonies are but I imagine there are many " good Christians" who only care about being married in the eyes of the Lord- not the eyes of the law. It's institutional fraud.

I know of a black couple who had a "ring ceremony" with their minister present. No legal paperwork required. I dont know how prevalent these ceremonies are but I imagine there are many " good Christians" who only care about being married in the eyes of the Lord- not the eyes of the law. It's institutional fraud.

I am not sure that is such a good idea.

Marriage is an efficient economic arrangement and passing along assets is part of that.

Hopefully they have wills and beneficiaries all clearly specified on things like insurance documents.

You always hear that marriage isn't easy. Well, there is a reason they say that.

But in the end, it sure seems to be worth it in many way. Takes work....

I agree but for some who have no assets and have the govt paying the bills it's a tempting alternative.

And it's so much easier for the men to walk away.

I'm not sure about the rules regarding co-habitation but I doubt the govt has any interest in enforcement anyway.

I agree but for some who have no assets and have the govt paying the bills it's a tempting alternative.

And it's so much easier for the men to walk away.

I'm not sure about the rules regarding co-habitation but I doubt the govt has any interest in enforcement anyway.

It is telling that people are counseled to get a divorce in order to get more government money.

Forum List

Back