Reducing inequality: Not more government - More marriage.

Yes care. And people may say that those "shotgun weddings" likely ended in divorce.

But divorced single mothers are still in a better financial position than the "never been married". And children of divorce still have a father.

It's just far too easy to walk away from a fetus or an infant than from a kindergartner. I don't think anyone could disagree with that.

The pill/abortion was supposed to prevent those occurrences. Yet now out of wedlock births are skyrocketing. Why? Because it's socially acceptable.

I just wish the "marriage equality" folks pushing for the legalization of gay marriage, would focus on the poor as well.

But as Willow stated, anyone with light skin would be labeled a racist. And labels are far more detrimental to society than poor children. Oh wait... :eusa_eh:

Does that go for the queers too?

When you've got something useful to contribute, I won't think of you as a the jackass you seem to be.

You can't answer the question either? The OP is calling for more marriage right? I'm asking if that includes us or not. Does it? Does the call for more marriage apply to all or just the heterosexuals?

I'd love to jump on y'alls "more marriage" bandwagon, but not if you make me trail behind the cart.

When you've got something useful to contribute, I won't think of you as a the jackass you seem to be.

You can't answer the question either? The OP is calling for more marriage right? I'm asking if that includes us or not. Does it? Does the call for more marriage apply to all or just the heterosexuals?

I'd love to jump on y'alls "more marriage" bandwagon, but not if you make me trail behind the cart.

Marriage is between a man and a woman, dumbass.

The article was written by a black woman.

La Shawn Barber is a freelance writer who blogs at La Shawn Barber's Corner.

Every time I see a young pregnant woman I know I always say "Congratulations! When did you get married?" They think I'm funny.

Doing things in the right order: school, marriage, home, baby, etc. can mean the difference between poverty and success. It's no guarantee; but the statistics are pretty damn telling.

I have a friend who works in an inner city school. She is white and has five kids. Her story:

A young black 1st grader is talking to her. He asks how many kids she has. She says five. He asks how many "daddies" to the kids have. She says one. The kid says "bulls**t, ain't no two kids have the same daddy."

She says that to talk to them, it is pretty much accepted that no two kids from the same woman has the same father, but that the same guy can father several kids by different mothers.

And some want us to think that is O.K.

I teach high school and the majority of my students come from single parent homes. The students who have relationships with their fathers (or have siblings with the same last name) talk about their dads constantly. They like others to know they have one. It's both sweet and terribly sad.

When I can marry three women at the same time, I'll be with you.

I had read somewhere, that in the 1950's, out of all marriages in the USA, 60% of those that had children within the first year of marriage, their child was born before 7 months of marriage. What's that mean folks? It means these women and men were expecting a baby before they tied the knot. So to me, although it is looser than goose today, it was pretty loose for the times back then too! BUT the difference was that MEN married the girl they got pregnant....no?

And I read somewhere that the moon was made of green cheese.

How about a link.
It was over a year or 2 ago when I read it...I believe I posted on it when I had found that tidbit and I would have posted the link...so let me see if I can find it, when I have time. I actually think it said closer to 70% and not 60% but I put 60% just in case I was off on memory.

And what are you objecting to on this Listening? It still does not show that many women were not virgins back then, because we don't know how many marriages actually had children within the first year of marriage...but what we do know is much more than half of those that did have a child within the first year had that child within 7 months of marriage....and Men were marrying the girls they got pregnant.

Last edited:

Every time I see a young pregnant woman I know I always say "Congratulations! When did you get married?" They think I'm funny.

Doing things in the right order: school, marriage, home, baby, etc. can mean the difference between poverty and success. It's no guarantee; but the statistics are pretty damn telling.

I have a friend who works in an inner city school. She is white and has five kids. Her story:

A young black 1st grader is talking to her. He asks how many kids she has. She says five. He asks how many "daddies" to the kids have. She says one. The kid says "bulls**t, ain't no two kids have the same daddy."

She says that to talk to them, it is pretty much accepted that no two kids from the same woman has the same father, but that the same guy can father several kids by different mothers.

I teach high school and the majority of my students come from single parent homes. The students who have relationships with their fathers (or have siblings with the same last name) talk about their dads constantly. They like others to know they have one. It's both sweet and terribly sad.

And all this speaks to the things Obama and Romney can't do. Fix our society.

The enlightened all crow about the "bounds" of holy matrimony and yet fail to see it is an economically efficient arrangement. And when dad is in the home, the young ladies tend to think a little more highly of themselves.

Fix marriage....a lot of things will take care of themselves.

Don't fix marriage.....it might not matter who is the WH.

Ah, so in order for me to have equal rights, you have to first have special rights. Good to know. At least you answered and the answer is "no", it doesn't apply to the QUEERS...

Carry on since ya'll don't want or need my help. I'd have loved to support your efforts in this...

I had read somewhere, that in the 1950's, out of all marriages in the USA, 60% of those that had children within the first year of marriage, their child was born before 7 months of marriage. What's that mean folks? It means these women and men were expecting a baby before they tied the knot. So to me, although it is looser than goose today, it was pretty loose for the times back then too! BUT the difference was that MEN married the girl they got pregnant....no?

How about a link.
It was over a year or 2 ago when I read it...I believe I posted on it when I had found that tidbit and I would have posted the link...so let me see if I can find it, when I have time. I actually think it said closer to 70% and not 60% but I put 60% just in case I was off on memory.

And what are you objecting to on this Listening? It still does not show that many women were not virgins back then, because we don't know how many marriages actually had children within the first year of marriage...but what we do know is much more than half of those that did have a child within the first year had that child within 7 months of marriage....and Men were marrying the girl they got pregnant.

I seriously question the number.....

But that does not mean that I don't believe that men and women were any less horny back then than they are now.

However, they got married. For better or for worse. When women hit the workforce, they were less likely to stay in tough marriages (not necessarily bad marriages....tough ones).

We've really dropped the ball in a lot of ways.

Do women today really enjoy that men don't show them respect ?

Ah, so in order for me to have equal rights, you have to first have special rights. Good to know. At least you answered and the answer is "no", it doesn't apply to the QUEERS...

Carry on since ya'll don't want or need my help. I'd have loved to support your efforts in this...

How is that any different than what you want ? Please inform me (and I really hope that you don't use numbers in the explanation).

Marriage is between a man and a woman, dumbass.

Actually, no it isn't. We have a half a dozen states that allow gay marriage and more than double that in countries where a man can marry a man and a woman can marry a woman. You probably already knew that though didn't you, inbred? Blows your claim though. :lol:

How is that any different than what you want ? Please inform me (and I really hope that you don't use numbers in the explanation).

I actually support your position and think you should be able to marry three women at the same time. You have to get past that being illegal thing first though. See, you have to sue and then the court has to determine if there is a reasonable standard applied in preventing you from marrying your three women. I don't see a societal harm in allowing it. Same thing goes with gay marriage. There is no societal harm in allowing me to marry the non-familial consenting adult partner of my choice. I think you'd have a good case, like we do. Good luck and let me know what organization I can send my donation to to further your cause.

Sorry, I used numbers. Did they confuse you? There was no addition or subtraction.

My sister teaches Special Ed, Middle school, in a very poor white area of Florida. A few years ago when I was down there on vacation, I volunteered at her school and was able to work within her class room. She had about 25 students, and none of the students had both parents still married or with each other EXCEPT, this one 13 year old boy, who was adopted at birth by a male Gay couple....he still had both of the same parents....I had about 10 students that i had in a group and was teaching them how to crochet while my sister had parent/teacher meetings that were scheduled that day....he was my best student and the sweetest of the bunch as far as personality! :)

Many of the student's pappy was living with other student's mothers and mothers living with other kid's daddies....2 girls had a mother that was a prostitute to make ends meet....WHAT A MESS.....It was like a regular ole swap meet as far as parents were concerned....I walked away shocked, and cried that night when thinking about it....my sister's heart breaks every day she works with them....and most all of these impoverished white kids attend church on Sunday and want creationism taught in school...I'm just saying....these are the poor people that I have met in person.

Last edited:

My sister teaches Special Ed, Middle school, in a very poor white area of Florida. A few years ago when I was down there on vacation, I volunteered at her school and was able to work within her class room. She had about 25 students, and none of the students had both parents still married or with each other EXCEPT, this one 13 year old boy, who was adopted at birth by a male Gay couple....he still had both of the same parents....I had about 10 students that i had in a group and was teaching them how to crochet while my sister had parent/teacher meetings that were scheduled that day....he was my best student and the sweetest of the bunch as far as personality! :)

Many of the student's pappy was living with other student's mothers and mothers living with other kid's daddies....2 girls had a mother that was a prostitute to make ends meet....WHAT A MESS.....It was like a regular ole swap meet as far as parents were concerned....I walked away shocked, and cried that night when thinking about it....my sister's heart breaks every day she works with them....and most all of these impoverished white kids attend church on Sunday and want creationism taught in school...I'm just saying....these are the poor people that I have met in person.

Terrible situation.

But it only goes to support what chanel is saying.

Teachers tell me that if a child has a parent get sick or die.....the kids will rally around them and show incredible support.

If a kids walks in all beat up and announces his parents are getting divorced, the others have little empathy....it's more like "welcome to the club".

The long term effect on this kids is not positive and there are studies (albeit I question the neutrality) that say it is devastating.

I actually support your position and think you should be able to marry three women at the same time. You have to get past that being illegal thing first though. See, you have to sue and then the court has to determine if there is a reasonable standard applied in preventing you from marrying your three women. I don't see a societal harm in allowing it. Same thing goes with gay marriage. There is no societal harm in allowing me to marry the non-familial consenting adult partner of my choice. I think you'd have a good case, like we do. Good luck and let me know what organization I can send my donation to to further your cause.

Sorry, I used numbers. Did they confuse you? There was no addition or subtraction.

As long as you keep it below twenty, I'm good. If I lose a finger, you'll have to cut back.

How about a link.

And what are you objecting to on this Listening? It still does not show that many women were not virgins back then, because we don't know how many marriages actually had children within the first year of marriage...but what we do know is much more than half of those that did have a child within the first year had that child within 7 months of marriage....and Men were marrying the girl they got pregnant.

But that does not mean that I don't believe that men and women were any less horny back then than they are now.

However, they got married. For better or for worse. When women hit the workforce, they were less likely to stay in tough marriages (not necessarily bad marriages....tough ones).

Do men of today really enjoy being with women they don't respect?

:D

The article is speaking of women having children out of wedlock, it is speaking that women who have children out of wedlock, will face much greater chances of poverty for themselves and their children than woman who are married and then have children.

Not sure what you don't understand.

:cuckoo:Yes. Gay men having children out of wedlock is not a concern I am aware of.:cuckoo:

Anywho. It seems to me (and other honest posters here) that any discussion of income inequality that ignores this obvious component is not to be taken seriously. Otherwise it's just class warfare.

Do men of today really enjoy being with women they don't respect?

:D

You are not a guy, are you ?

Respect isn't in our genes. It has to be learned. And we are doing a piss poor job of teaching young men what it is.

Forum List

Back