Reduce gun violence, legalize drugs

Legalize drugs and the violence will remain. Especially for those who commit violent acts while they are ON drugs. If someone is high and eats the face off another person, it doesn't matter at that point whether the drugs are legal or illegal. The legal status of the drug has no effect at all.

Did you ever study history? There was a time in the US when we tried to end the scourge of alcohol by making it illegal, do you recall the results of that experiment? Are you aware that when we finally realized how stupid that was the crime rate dropped significantly? Drugs do not cause violence, people do.

Oh are those violent drug cartels that exist from Mexico all the way down to the fields in South America where they grow the drug plants.....just going to give up what they own and control right now?

Will those drug cartels set up their own stores here?

They're going to quit being VIOLENT once they can sell more drugs???

You people are insane to believe they are going to let some Wal Mart to take a cut of their billions.
You Jr. High kiddies are a perfect example of why children should be restricted.....

:eusa_hand:

Freedom-minded types certainly won't like my take, but the history of the entire fucking civilization of mankind says this is a fucked up idea.

China had 90 million opium addicts at one time.

Read this slowly, for comprehension:

'Given the experiences of countries such as Great Britain, Switzerland, The Netherlands, China, Japan, Spain, Egypt, Iran, and Thailand, it is little wonder why countries that traditionally have had lenient drug laws are all moving in the direction of illegalization. '

The Experience of Foreign Countries and Drug Legalization

Sorry to pee in the Wheaties.

and there seem to be some health risks.

but, whatever. I am biased. Drugs didn't help a member of my family cope with life--others might be more fortunate.

How many people have died in drug related violence in Mexico since 2009? Far too many. That's despite decriminalization.

I do agree with my Prime Minister though. That the current approach isn't working. It's refreshing to have a politician be blatantly honest. He surprised a lot of people.

There are just so many factors involved. Prisons for profit just doesn't seem right. The fact that this corporation wanted a " 90 % guaranteed occupancy " is outrageous. That completely perverts the Justice system.

Oscapella cites a recent pitch by the Corrections Corporation of America, the largest operator of prisons in the U.S. The company told 48 U.S. states that it would buy their existing prisons, provided the states could guarantee 90 per cent occupancy.

AND

In 2009, Mexico enacted a law that decriminalized possession of minor amounts of drugs, including marijuana, cocaine, heroin, LSD and methamphetamine.

While people aren't prosecuted for having small sums of these drugs, they are encouraged to seek treatment.

Drug legalization debate divides the Americas - World - CBC News

Liberals and losertarians that want Wal Mart to sell crack can't ever explain how the bad side effects will just go away once drugs are sold in nice clean stores.

Medical problems, mental problems, social problems, etc will all just go away if drug addicts can buy their drugs at a store next door to McDonalds. You know McDonalds has prevented heart attacks, fat people, etc....

Freedom-minded types certainly won't like my take, but the history of the entire fucking civilization of mankind says this is a fucked up idea.

'Given the experiences of countries such as Great Britain, Switzerland, The Netherlands, China, Japan, Spain, Egypt, Iran, and Thailand, it is little wonder why countries that traditionally have had lenient drug laws are all moving in the direction of illegalization. '

.....Only if you're a D.A.R.E.-grad.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-kFlVcg-cU]Marijuana smoking grandparents - YouTube[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbIL5454ltQ]Penn and Teller - War on Drugs (Full Episode) - YouTube[/ame]​

I knew better than to say that.

Nonetheless, that is my bias.

Choices. Evaluate the risks and consequences.

Prison, yes--in some cases that is a possibility. Illness and death and financial loss and heartbreak for those who must stand by and let the chips fall where they may.

Be my guest. I see nothing positive about this sort of choice.

I won't change my mind.

Anyone and everyone who finds this worthwhile can partake.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEdzZaXwf8o]Cops say legalize drugs part1 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Law enforcement.

Sure, the focus is law.

I met members of law enforcement.

If the family doesn't provide support--you know how it goes.

whatever. there are still 'risks'.

I don't have a 'broad frame of reference'--a boomer, fyi--just not something I would choose for whatever reasons.

How many people have died in drug related violence in Mexico since 2009? Far too many. That's despite decriminalization.

I do agree with my Prime Minister though. That the current approach isn't working. It's refreshing to have a politician be blatantly honest. He surprised a lot of people.

There are just so many factors involved. Prisons for profit just doesn't seem right. The fact that this corporation wanted a " 90 % guaranteed occupancy " is outrageous. That completely perverts the Justice system.

Oscapella cites a recent pitch by the Corrections Corporation of America, the largest operator of prisons in the U.S. The company told 48 U.S. states that it would buy their existing prisons, provided the states could guarantee 90 per cent occupancy.

AND

In 2009, Mexico enacted a law that decriminalized possession of minor amounts of drugs, including marijuana, cocaine, heroin, LSD and methamphetamine.

While people aren't prosecuted for having small sums of these drugs, they are encouraged to seek treatment.

Drug legalization debate divides the Americas - World - CBC News

A Young Black is 70 times more likely to be incarcerated than a White when numbers in prison and percentage of population is part of the equation. Justice my ass.......justice is expensive, how much can you afford?

Legalize drugs and the violence will remain. Especially for those who commit violent acts while they are ON drugs. If someone is high and eats the face off another person, it doesn't matter at that point whether the drugs are legal or illegal. The legal status of the drug has no effect at all.

Drugs do not cause violence, people do.
Actually, it's the profit-margin that causes the violence.

Just ask.....

whatever. there are still 'risks'.

I don't have a 'broad frame of reference'--a boomer, fyi--just not something I would choose for whatever reasons.
Oh.....you were (obviously) in your germinal-stages o' Yuppiedom.

I graduated in '68 & have quite the 'broad frame of reference'.

Whatta shame you chose not to get more-directly involved. You were most-likely an early-stages Boomer; still locked-into the whole '50s culture.

Even if there were no profit margin. The government supplied drugs absolutely free. The amount of violence committed by people on drugs would be phenomenal.

Forum List

Back