Redneck or Elitist?

Which label fits you best?

• Total voters
I knew it. Another idiot who doesn't understand elitism.

It isn't elitist to think you're best for the job.
It is elitist to think you're best for the job BECAUSE you are smarter, richer, better bred or whatever than others.

Pretty much flies in the face of liberty and the pursuit of happiness, moron.

I knew it. Another idiot who doesn't understand elitism.

It isn't elitist to think you're best for the job.
It is elitist to think you're best for the job BECAUSE you are smarter, richer, better bred or whatever than others.

Pretty much flies in the face of liberty and the pursuit of happiness, moron.

What do you know? You're just a dumbass redneck! :razz:

Is being an elitist really a bad thing?

Sounds like an elitist is just someone who just thinks that people qualified to run things ought to to me. Of course it could also describe the kinds of people who ran George Bush for office just because he was their kind of person, too.

Oh, and by the way?

Being a redneck is ALSO something one can admire, although there isn't an authentic redneck alive today.

Rednecks were the moonshing farmers of Western Pennsylvania who participated in Shay's Whiskey rebellion.

They were so named because in order to identify themselves they wore red bandana around their necks.

Everyone's favorite President George Washington (that god damned ELITIST tool for Americans wealthy) put down that rebellion against taxation without representation because the RUM MONOPOLY of the East Coast demanded that he do so in order to protect their market for rum (more expensive BTW) in the larger East coast towns.

Here's a link to thumbnail of that event in history for those so inclined to want to know the facts.

Whiskey Rebellion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The origins of the term redneck actually go back to the 1930's in a number of disputes in West Virginia. A large group of unionized miners marched south to Logan County, to pressure the mine owners there to allow their miners to become unionized. To identify themselves, the miners all wore red bandannas around their necks. The publicity associated with the battles and the subsequent court cases created the term red-necks, and at that time they were viewed as the good guys in the conflict.

Originally, the term came from the later 1800's in southern Georgia and Alabama to refer to sharecroppers who worked in the fields thus getting a sunburned neck. They were called 'rednecks' as a term meant for hard working people. Today, the term is used by comedians and commentators to refer to people who are uneducated, close-minded and racist individuals.

The origins of this term Redneck are Scottish and refer to supporters of the National Covenant and The Solemn League and Covenant, or "Covenanters", largely Lowland Presbyterians, many of whom would flee Scotland for Ulster (Northern Ireland) during persecutions by the British Crown. The Covenanters of 1638 and 1641 signed the documents that stated that Scotland desired the Presbyterian form of church government and would not accept the Church of England as its official state church.

Many Covenanters signed in their own blood and wore red pieces of cloth around their necks as distinctive insignia; hence the term "Red neck", (rednecks) which became slang for a Scottish dissenter*. One Scottish immigrant, interviewed by the author, remembered a Presbyterian minister, one Dr. Coulter, in Glasgow in the 1940's wearing a red clerical collar -- is this symbolic of the "rednecks"?

WikiAnswers - Where did the name 'redneck' come from

it depends on the definition but if you look to the origin of the words......

i would rather be a redneck than an elitest.....

You all do realize it's not a good thing to be....right?

That sounds elitist to me, Baba.

I know I'm better than most players on my softball team, and I'm definitely SMARTER than them, so I'm going to have to go with elitist on this one.

Although, I like guns, fast cars, dirt bikes, and beer. So maybe I'm a redneck.

I'm an elitist redneck.

No, it's not elitist to recognize the moral dysfunction of those who think they're better than others or who think they're more entitled to power, money, enjoyment of life, control than others.

Considering the replies to the poll and the poll results, one may conclude the poll is flawed.

Forum List

Back