Redistricting: Changing the way we play the game.

shintao

Take Down ~ Tap Out
Aug 27, 2010
I suppose there are several ways to chop up America that would be fair to all parties.

I would like to break America up into a N x S, E X W 30 sq mile grids like a checker board. Then every year swap the grids in being fair to everyone.

Here is has far we have gotten off the beaten path,..............

In a racially mixed corner of Shreveport, La., a small group of white voters protested loudly this year that they did not want to be part of a majority black district when the legislature redrew the state’s political boundaries. The Republican-led statehouse complied, drawing a line around the community to accommodate them.

That line is at the heart of a case before the Justice Department that is seen as a critical test of how the Obama administration will interpret the controversial Voting Rights Act as it rules on a new wave of redistricting plans.

The law, passed in 1965, was designed in part to prevent white lawmakers from weakening the voting strength of minorities with the deft drawing of district lines. More than a dozen states, including Louisiana, are required because of their history of discrimination to clear their redistricting plans with Justice.

Louisiana redistricting case seen as crucial test of Voting Rights Act - The Washington Post

grid-na.gif

Last edited:
The Democrats in CA were so disgraceful in drawing boundaries that the voters in CA put the drawing of boundaries in the hands of an independent commission.

There was a district in NC that for ten miles was the center two lanes of a freeway.

I think districts should be drawn to keep local communities together as much as possible. the current way it's set up is such a joke.

I suppose there are several ways to chop up America that would be fair to all parties.

I would like to break America up into a N x S, E X W 30 sq mile grids like a checker board. Then every year swap the grids in being fair to everyone.

In a racially mixed corner of Shreveport, La., a small group of white voters protested loudly this year that they did not want to be part of a majority black district when the legislature redrew the state’s political boundaries. The Republican-led statehouse complied, drawing a line around the community to accommodate them.

That line is at the heart of a case before the Justice Department that is seen as a critical test of how the Obama administration will interpret the controversial Voting Rights Act as it rules on a new wave of redistricting plans.

The law, passed in 1965, was designed in part to prevent white lawmakers from weakening the voting strength of minorities with the deft drawing of district lines. More than a dozen states, including Louisiana, are required because of their history of discrimination to clear their redistricting plans with Justice.

Louisiana redistricting case seen as crucial test of Voting Rights Act - The Washington Post

grid-na.gif

The only problem I see with this is that you are basing the size of the districts on land area, not population. Since the Constitution specifically apportions representatives by population this plan will not be constitutional.

I do thing that districts should be based solely on population and not on the racial make up of the population. Obama is supposed to be proof that we are post racial, we should start acting like it. If nothing else he clearly proved that white people have no problem voting for a black man in the White House, despite the continued demagoguery by some pundits who like to play the race card anytime someone disagrees with Obama.

grid-na.gif
Personally I hope it is challenged, the court came pretty close to throwing out that portion of the law the last time they heard it. VRA legacy seats are anethema to our constitution.

The Democrats in CA were so disgraceful in drawing boundaries that the voters in CA put the drawing of boundaries in the hands of an independent commission.

There was a district in NC that for ten miles was the center two lanes of a freeway.
NC 12, it's still there and it's a VRA legacy seat. The justice Departments gift to mel Watt it stretches from uptown Charlotte all the way to Greensboro

Last edited:

grid-na.gif

The only problem I see with this is that you are basing the size of the districts on land area, not population. Since the Constitution specifically apportions representatives by population this plan will not be constitutional.

I do thing that districts should be based solely on population and not on the racial make up of the population. Obama is supposed to be proof that we are post racial, we should start acting like it. If nothing else he clearly proved that white people have no problem voting for a black man in the White House, despite the continued demagoguery by some pundits who like to play the race card anytime someone disagrees with Obama.

Look at the SC districts 2 and 6; Its all about race. The 6th district goes almost from North Carolina to Georgia and has a wee little chunk of downtown Columbia.

The re-districting needs to be ran by the feds; its' obvious that every state plays it's own politics with the enfranchisement of the voters.

grid-na.gif

Look at the SC districts 2 and 6; Its all about race. The 6th district goes almost from North Carolina to Georgia and has a wee little chunk of downtown Columbia.

The re-districting needs to be ran by the feds; its' obvious that every state plays it's own politics with the enfranchisement of the voters.

Because we know the feds won't do something as dastardly as "play politics", would they?

There's no "fair" way to set district lines. No matter who decides it, they're going to use their own politics to do it - and it's a huge political commodity.

grid-na.gif

Yeah right, no congressman would ever think to ensure his own district in thaty scenario. I don't think I want to change the constitution to make you feel better.

Illinois, or should I say, Chicagonois, recently re-drew the state districting maps. I like that checkerboard plan.

It,s total bullshit in Illinois. they are redistricting and eliminating districts due to loss of population and the one that will be eliminate will all have an R in front of their names. The Dems are having problems keeping power so now all they have is to CHEAT AND USE FRAUD TO KEEP POWER

Illinois, or should I say, Chicagonois, recently re-drew the state districting maps. I like that checkerboard plan.

It,s total bullshit in Illinois. they are redistricting and eliminating districts due to loss of population and the one that will be eliminate will all have an R in front of their names. The Dems are having problems keeping power so now all they have is to CHEAT AND USE FRAUD TO KEEP POWER
Its easy to see how this can backfire on them quite easily. Last year 4 of the 5 smallest districts by population were (D) and 5 of the largest 5 districts by population were (R). Their going to have to srpead themselves a little thin.

Congressional District Demographic Trends and Patterns

Actually sounds reasonable. Take a look at some of these.

Howard County Blog: Rank the Worst Gerrymanders

Actually a black majority district in NC was stretched from Raleigh to Charlotte a few miles wide. It was ruled illegal by the Judiciary and had to be redrawn like 4 times because the idiots in NC ( democrats) kept redrawing it based solely on race.

grid-na.gif

RETARD ALERT. Unconstitutional and last I checked POLITICIANS run the US too.

Actually sounds reasonable. Take a look at some of these.

Howard County Blog: Rank the Worst Gerrymanders

Actually a black majority district in NC was stretched from Raleigh to Charlotte a few miles wide. It was ruled illegal by the Judiciary and had to be redrawn like 4 times because the idiots in NC ( democrats) kept redrawing it based solely on race.
It's still there, it just stops at greensboro. NC 12, mel watt's VRA legacy district.

Forum List

Back