Red Zone-Blue Zone Frustration--

Q

Quiz

Would like to hear from one or more of the following:

(*) A die-hard Republican who lives in a reliably (in Presidential races) Democratic state (e.g., New York, Maryland, Mass., etc.) but who *still* religiously votes GOP for Prez every four years. How do you stay motivated to swim against the partisan tide?

(*) A die-hard Democrat who lives in a reliably Republican state (i.e., in the Deep South, Mountain West, etc.) but who *still* religiously votes Democratic for Prez every four years. Same Q: How do you stay motivated and fight off the feeling that your vote doesn't count?

(Truth-in-Trolling Dept.-- I am journalist looking to talk to someone who fits the above category. If that bothers you or violates your personal code of chatdom, please ignore this post... )

Quizzical in D.C.

Originally posted by Quiz

(*) A die-hard Republican who lives in a reliably (in Presidential races) Democratic state (e.g., New York, Maryland, Mass., etc.) but who *still* religiously votes GOP for Prez every four years. How do you stay motivated to swim against the partisan tide?

(*) A die-hard Democrat who lives in a reliably Republican state (i.e., in the Deep South, Mountain West, etc.) but who *still* religiously votes Democratic for Prez every four years. Same Q: How do you stay motivated and fight off the feeling that your vote doesn't count?

(Truth-in-Trolling Dept.-- I am journalist looking to talk to someone who fits the above category. If that bothers you or violates your personal code of chatdom, please ignore this post... )

Quizzical in D.C.

Guess for once I have to shut up, don't fit those cats.

I do not fit either category, but your question itself points out the problems of this country. . . .

<. . . . religiously votes (insert party). . . . >

Maybe if people would stop voting based strictly on party affiliation, something might get accomplished!

We hammer religion in this country and then turn around and treat politics as if it where a religion. Quite an oxymoron.

Good luck in your research.

Quiz,

I am a die-hard Republican in Western WA, which is quite liberal. The eastern half of Washington State almost balances the state out, but in the Puget Sound area where I live, politics are pretty liberal.
So how do I stay motivated? I am convinced that conservative policies are the best by which to govern the nation at all levels of government. I also think that I can convince my friends, neighbors, and other people around me that these policies, and the candidates that espouse them, are the best for our government.
I am motivated by winning, and I enjoy getting into the competition of politicking: doorbelling, strategizing, advocating positions and candidates, etc. I feel that I am making a difference, even though as a whole my state (and especially my region of the state) is liberal.

Hope this is what you are looking for.

Jeff

Interesting. I feel your pain. But Washington is more of a swing state, tracking Cali and Oregon, than a locked-up stronghold for one or the other party. Thx for the input, tho...

Quiz

I am a die hard republican in Taxachusetts. While I admit it is hard to bring myself to the poles when I know that Ted Kennedy is going to win every time without even running a campaign, I still go. Why? First it is my obligation as an American. Second it is some sort of twisted thought that by voting against the mainstream I am somehow sticking it to them.

As for interaction. Well I also work in Cambridge, the liberal capital of the world. So I have pretty much resigned myself to being looked a like as an uncaring monster whenever politics is discussed. Also I try to read as much as I can so I can defend my position with facts. Not that it matters with the left.

Originally posted by gop_jeff
Not good enough, I guess... :( :sniff:

He just wanted a state that that was solidly one or the other. Just so his article would have more impact.

I think this occurs in every major city between the intown snooty liberal factions and the suburban family oriented suv driving antichrists.

Well I'm pretty die-hard GOP, albeit with realistic libertarian leanings, living in Illinois. That what you are looking for?

Originally posted by Quiz

Quizzical in D.C.

Geez, talk about a duck out of water! You've got us all beat Fletch!

Originally posted by Fletch
I am a die hard republican in Taxachusetts. While I admit it is hard to bring myself to the poles when I know that Ted Kennedy is going to win every time without even running a campaign, I still go. Why? First it is my obligation as an American. Second it is some sort of twisted thought that by voting against the mainstream I am somehow sticking it to them.

As for interaction. Well I also work in Cambridge, the liberal capital of the world. So I have pretty much resigned myself to being looked a like as an uncaring monster whenever politics is discussed. Also I try to read as much as I can so I can defend my position with facts. Not that it matters with the left.

Wondered what this might be about, perhaps it's that Kerry isn't doing as well as Bush's numbers suggest:

[Q]Red Zone-Blue Zone Frustration--

Quizzical in D.C.[/Q]

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&u=/ap/20040520/ap_on_el_pr/poll_bush_kerry

Poll: Kerry Edges Bush Among N.J. Voters

Thu May 20, 5:24 PM ET

TRENTON, N.J. - Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry (news - web sites) is slightly ahead of President Bush (news - web sites) in a poll of registered voters in New Jersey, a state that Democrat Al Gore (news - web sites) won in 2000 by almost 16 percentage points.

Forty-six percent of the respondents support Kerry, 43 percent support Bush, and 5 percent say they support independent candidate Ralph Nader (news - web sites), according to a Quinnipiac poll released Thursday.

Among independent voters, Kerry and Bush were about even.

Kerry's popularity is low in New Jersey. Twenty-seven percent viewed Kerry favorably, 28 percent unfavorably, and 33 percent had mixed feelings, according to the poll.

"Despite all the bad news out of Iraq (news - web sites), President Bush is threatening to make a horse race out of New Jersey, a state everyone had put in the 'safe' column for John Kerry," said Clay F. Richards, assistant director of the Quinnipiac University Polling Institute. Just over half said they approve of Bush's job performance.

In Florida, Bush and Kerry are tied. Bush had the backing of 47 percent, Kerry of 46 percent and Nader at 3 percent, a poll by the American Research Group found.

The Quinnipiac telephone survey of 1,122 registered voters was conducted May 10-16 and has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 3 percentage points. The ARG poll of 600 likely voters was taken May 17-19 and has a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 4 percentage points.

You know Kerry has to be worried if he is in a Dead Heap in New Jersey and California. Just wait till the convention and the debates. This is going to be a total landslide for Bush unless something drastic changes.

Originally posted by Avatar4321
You know Kerry has to be worried if he is in a Dead Heap in New Jersey and California. Just wait till the convention and the debates. This is going to be a total landslide for Bush unless something drastic changes.

I've been saying that for months. Once Bush starts debating Kerry on the WOT and such, Kerry will fall in the polls like a brick. The left just doesn't get it that the Dem party has been taken over by the extreme of their party. The only reason Gore did so well in 2000 was because the "middle of the roaders" and, frankly, uneducated, really thought that Clinton is what made the economy run so well. They didn't notice that Gore never ran on the economy - and I wonder why? He knew it was going to tank.

what party is the governor from?

I live in Taxachusettes as well. Sometime ago I was a die hard liberal that lived in a very republican place. I did not discuss politics as it usually causes some unending and annoying endless argument. Anyhow, now I am republican living in a democratic area...I also was republican living in DC which I think is mostly dems. I don't discuss politics - simple.
I have seen so many heated arguments from two parties - it would start as a discussion and end in fist slams on the table to get their point across.
For me, I find listening to liberals banther an earache. Most, that have shared their opinion with me seem to have little, if any, clue to reality.
As for the comment on Ted Kennedy - I just think of him as a wart that doesn't go away. I know people vote for him because he is a Kennedy, no one challenges him (Romney aside) and they are just used to him being there.

Forum List

Back