Red State Welfare Myth

Some states have always carried others.

There was no time during the rebellion when I did not think, and often say, that the South was more to be benefited by its defeat than the North. The latter had the people, the institutions, and the territory to make a great and prosperous nation. The former was burdened with an institution abhorrent to all civilized people not brought up under it, and one which degraded labor, kept it in ignorance, and enervated the governing class.

-- U.S. Grant, 1885

News Headlines
(1) CA - 1/3 of the entire NATION'S welfare recipients are residences of the French State of America
(2) ME - Dark Blue
(3) TN - Red
(4) MA - Dark Blue
(5) VT - Dark Blue
(6) DC - Dark Blue
(7) NY - Dark Blue
(8) MN - Dark Blue
(9) WA - Dark Blue
(10) NM - Purple (Swing State)
(11) IN - Red (but decreasing every year with Daniel's guidance)
(12) RI - Dark Blue
(13) MI - Blue
(14) PA - Blue
(15) OR - Dark Blue

Run Down:
12 of top 15 are Blue states
10 of the top 15 are Far Left Blue States
Only one red state in top 10 (2 in all of the two 15)
One purple swing state!

The problem with your list is you're leaving out a big piece of information.

Those states on your list? They're also the homes of the most money, and pay the most taxes.

Those states pay for their welfare recipients.

bullshit, california has a huge deficit.. they can't pay for jack shit.

It isn't about "how many people" they have on welfare.

:lol::lol:

Move the goalpost, much?

Not really moving the goalposts. The Red States expect the rest of the nation to pay for their welfare recipients while the Blue States take care of their own.

Gee, then why are the big blue states like NY, CA, IL, etc. running MASSIVE deficits and like clockwork, always looking for new taxes to impose on their citizens?

Interesting. I keep hearing (from the left, of course) how red states are the worst, but never looked into it. There are so many liberal talking points that get repeated ad nauseum that I stop listening. So many comments under articles use the slogan "bin Laden is dead, GM is alive". Whatever. Ford is alive, doing better than all of them and they did it without gubmint. Liberals want people to believe that none of us could survive without their help.

Thanks for posting this.

That's because right wingeers are easily fooled, or maybe they fit facts to their sick agenda.

No rather the left doesn't give a fuck about facts and their followers are don't carry to find them on their own!

News Headlines
(1) CA - 1/3 of the entire NATION'S welfare recipients are residences of the French State of America
(2) ME - Dark Blue
(3) TN - Red
(4) MA - Dark Blue
(5) VT - Dark Blue
(6) DC - Dark Blue
(7) NY - Dark Blue
(8) MN - Dark Blue
(9) WA - Dark Blue
(12) RI - Dark Blue
(13) MI - Blue
(14) PA - Blue
(15) OR - Dark Blue

Run Down:
One purple swing state!

The problem with your list is you're leaving out a big piece of information.

Those states on your list? They're also the homes of the most money, and pay the most taxes.

Those states pay for their welfare recipients.

That is a red herring argument and well off topic!

News Headlines
(2) ME - Dark Blue
(3) TN - Red
(4) MA - Dark Blue
(5) VT - Dark Blue
(6) DC - Dark Blue
(7) NY - Dark Blue
(8) MN - Dark Blue
(9) WA - Dark Blue
(12) RI - Dark Blue
(13) MI - Blue
(14) PA - Blue
(15) OR - Dark Blue

Run Down:
One purple swing state!

LOL. So what you are saying is that in spite of sending in more than they get from the federal government, the Blue states still manage to aid their citizens more than the Red states. It still remains that the Red states are on the Federal tit while the Blue states support them, and support the less fortunate in the Blue states at the same time.

Stealing from one that works and providing scraps for the other that refuses to work isn't helping either party!

Interesting. I keep hearing (from the left, of course) how red states are the worst, but never looked into it. There are so many liberal talking points that get repeated ad nauseum that I stop listening. So many comments under articles use the slogan "bin Laden is dead, GM is alive". Whatever. Ford is alive, doing better than all of them and they did it without gubmint. Liberals want people to believe that none of us could survive without their help.

Thanks for posting this.

Jesus.. so according to you CA having more total welfare recipients then Wyoming means CA has more welfare...
Did you not realize that CA has 35million people compared to Wyoming's 700,000?
Red states have a larger percentage of their population on welfare...
Ford got bailout/govt money. Including a 6 billion loan from the DOE, 3billion for its ATVM, billions from CFC. Furthermore the fact still remains that without the auto bailout GM, and Chrystler and many car dealerships/related industries would of failed causing 1.5million in jobs losses

News Headlines
(2) ME - Dark Blue
(3) TN - Red
(4) MA - Dark Blue
(5) VT - Dark Blue
(6) DC - Dark Blue
(7) NY - Dark Blue
(8) MN - Dark Blue
(9) WA - Dark Blue
(12) RI - Dark Blue
(13) MI - Blue
(14) PA - Blue
(15) OR - Dark Blue

Run Down:
One purple swing state!

LOL. So what you are saying is that in spite of sending in more than they get from the federal government, the Blue states still manage to aid their citizens more than the Red states. It still remains that the Red states are on the Federal tit while the Blue states support them, and support the less fortunate in the Blue states at the same time.

Stealing from one that works and providing scraps for the other that refuses to work isn't helping either party!

You do realize that 85% of people who have had weflare but dont anymore currently have jobs and that over half of those on welfare are currently working.. of course not reality is sometihng you care nothing about

Thanks for posting this.

Jesus.. so according to you CA having more total welfare recipients then Wyoming means CA has more welfare...
Ford got bailout/govt money. Including a 6 billion loan from the DOE, 3billion for its ATVM, billions from CFC. Furthermore the fact still remains that without the auto bailout GM, and Chrystler and many car dealerships/related industries would of failed causing 1.5million in jobs losses

Nice red herring, because he wasn't saying that. CA has 1/3 of all the country's welfare receipents. Anyway you twist it that is crazy and nutz! You do realize we are saying the entire country? 310 mil correct and not WY vs CA? If we did we would look at it as per capita. Oh wait, even per capita -wise CA is at the top!

Last edited:

Thanks for posting this.

Nice red herring, because he wasn't saying that. CA has 1/3 of all the country's welfare receipents. Anyway you twist it that is crazy and nutz!

California has a lot going against it. It has more illegals than any other state, by far, and the cost of living is much higher than most other states. Anyone making minimum wage in Los Angeles won't even make enough to pay their rent and utilities, let alone anything else. In many other states, a minimum wage job will at least allow a person to scrape by.

Forum List

Back