Red Sox legend Johnny Pesky dies

Johnny Pesky, who during a six-decade-long association with the Red Sox as player, manager, broadcaster, coach, and executive became one of the most popular figures in the team’s history, died Monday. He was 92.

A lifetime .307 hitter, Mr. Pesky recorded 200 or more hits in each of his first three seasons, leading the American League in that category all three years. He hit .331 in 1942, his rookie season, finishing second to Ted Williams in the batting title race and was third in most valuable player voting. An All-Star in 1946, he was a fine fielding shortstop, his primary position. He also played third base and second base.

In 2008, he was the first player to have his number, 6, retired by the Red Sox who was not a member of the Baseball Hall of Fame.

“He was phenomenal in those first three seasons,” said his first Red Sox manager, Joe Cronin. “You couldn’t ask for more than he gave.”

Mr. Pesky was among the first class of inductees into the Red Sox Hall of Fame, in 1995. He never made it to Cooperstown, though, which was largely attributable to three factors.

He lost three seasons at his playing peak to wartime service.

:salute:

Not a hockey fan......sorry.
May he rest in peach, whoever he was.

Red Sox!

440354778_952d16b6e7_o.jpg

johnny-pesky-red-sox-c.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04KQydlJ-qc]John Fogerty - Centerfield - YouTube[/ame]

Pesky debuted for the Red Sox as a 22-year-old shortstop in 1942 and has been with the organization in some capacity virtually every year since. He played eight seasons in Boston, giving up three years of his early career to serve in the military during World War II.

Pesky is also featured in a bronze statue outside Fenway unveiled in June 2010 that depicts him alongside Williams, Doerr and Dom DiMaggio. The quartet shared a special camaraderie that was featured in David Halberstam's book, "The Teammates: A Portrait of a Friendship."

"Ted, Dom and Bobby have been my closest friends since my rookie year in 1942," Pesky said when the statue was introduced. "I have had some great times with them, and I am glad that thanks to the Red Sox, our friendship will now be remembered forever in the form of this statue."

Pesky served the Red Sox in a number of capacities over the years, including player (1942; 1946-52), manager (1963-64; 1980), coach, TV and radio commentator and, most recently, ambassador. As late as a few years ago, he was still hitting fungoes to Red Sox players at spring training.

Pesky is recognized throughout New England as the personification of the Red Sox, having signed countless autographs over the years and taken photos with virtually every fan who asked.

Pesky appeared at Fenway Park on April 20 when the Red Sox celebrated the 100th anniversary of the ballpark. The team invited all its former players back, and Pesky was moved to tears at the pregame ceremony.

"I've had a good life with the ballclub," Pesky told The Associated Press in 2004. "I just try to help out. I understand the game, I've been around the ballpark my whole life."

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story...ed-sox-player-ambassador-johnny-pesky-dies-92

sports01_thumb.jpg

In related news, Boston's Mayor honors him as Jimmy Pesky. :lol: :eusa_angel:

"All of Red Sox Nation mourns the loss of 'Mr. Red Sox,' Jimmy Pesky," Boston mayor Thomas Menino said. "He loved the game and he loved the fans -- and we loved him. His dedication to the sport and his passion to improve the game through the mentorship of young players will be sorely missed. Our hearts go out to the Red Sox organization and all of Jimmy's family and many friends."

He was possibly the happiest person on the planet when the Sox finally won it all in 2004. I'm glad they were able to do it twice while he was still around, he truly loved Boston and the team, and the feeling was mutual. It won't be the same.

And Warbler, in order to make you care about it, he left baseball from 1943-1945 to fight in WWII.

In related news, Boston's Mayor honors him as Jimmy Pesky. :lol: :eusa_angel:

"All of Red Sox Nation mourns the loss of 'Mr. Red Sox,' Jimmy Pesky," Boston mayor Thomas Menino said. "He loved the game and he loved the fans -- and we loved him. His dedication to the sport and his passion to improve the game through the mentorship of young players will be sorely missed. Our hearts go out to the Red Sox organization and all of Jimmy's family and many friends."

:rofl:

I'm so sick of Marbles.

i'm sad. i don't even know what to say.

Yeah, he was blessed with a long healthy life and worked every day doing what he loved... He got to see 2 World Series Championships in Boston, he got to see his honorary statue, and his number retired, and standing ovations from adoring crowds as the Red Sox honored his contributions to the team in recent years.

He will certainly be missed but he went out a happy happy man!

"Even now, people look at me like I'm a piece of shit."
- Johnny Pesky on not throwing out the series clinching run in the 1946 World Series in an interview for Dan Shaugnessy's 1989 book "The Curse of the Bambino"

That's a man who understood Red Sox fans.

A true legend.

Two interesting previously unknown (by me) factoids about Johnny Pesky...

His parents were Croatian immigrants whose last name was Paveskovich, and he was really 93 years old when he died.

Born John Michael Paveskovich Feb. 27, 1919 in Portland Oregon, son of Croatian immigrants, Jakov and Marija (Bajama) Paveskovich. (note: Major League Baseball has Johnny's date of birth as Sept. 27, 1919, an adjustment made by Johnny in 1939 to meet baseball scouting age limits for tryouts).
Solimine Landergan & Richardson Funeral Homes: Obituaries

"Even now, people look at me like I'm a piece of shit."
- Johnny Pesky on not throwing out the series clinching run in the 1946 World Series in an interview for Dan Shaugnessy's 1989 book "The Curse of the Bambino"

That's a man who understood Red Sox fans.

A true legend.

Yeah, way back then some people made him the scapegoat for a while, but that runner would have been safe either way! :lol:

Forum List

Back