Red Flag Anyone?

Discussion in 'Environment' started by wirebender, Sep 15, 2011.

1. wirebender

wirebender Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +120
    [​IMG]

Green represents ice that was present on 09/14/2011 that was not present on 09/14/2007.
    Red represents ice that was present on 09/14/2007 that was not present on 09/14/2011.

Bremen however, claims that the ice in 2007 and the ice today are essentially identical. Me thinks shenanigans most foul are afoot.

2. skookerasbil

skookerasbil Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,174
    Ooooooooooooooooops!!!!!!

more green k00k fAiL

3. konradv

konradv Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,659
    Going to need more info. You simply telling us what someone else said isn't good enough. We need to know if you're interpreting what he said correctly. That can't be done without a link to what you're quoting. Why do you even bother, if you're not to back up your statements?!?!

4. wirebender

wirebender Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +120
    I might ask you the same thing. I am still waiting for an explanation of the mechanism by which you claim that CO2 can trap and retain heat. In fact, you rarely, if ever back up anything you claim.

5. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,263
    Bentwire cannot back up his accusations of fraud. As Mathew pointed out, all four groups measuring ice area have figures that are nearly the same. A little above or a little below 2007.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. konradv

konradv Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,659
    Been done repeatedly. Join the ranks of the liars, Wirebender. You may not agree with the explanation, but to say one has never been given, just shows how dishonest you are. Go down to the principal's office with Crusader Frank. :lol::lol::lol:

7. flacaltenn

flacaltenn USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13,331
    I thought someone (konrad, matthew, ian) just posted a thread on ice VOLUME versus ice EXTENT and how Volume was the more rationale way of looking at the data..

8. IanC

IanC Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,439
    I dont see why different groups wouldnt have different result. they use different models to analyse the available information.

as far as which is a better to measure, volume or extent, I guess it boils down to availability and accuracy of the available data. if you can accurately determine volume then it is a better metric. if there is a lot of uncertainty in volume but less in extent then maybe extent is better.

one of the problems with measuring multi-year ice is that it is dependant on previous amounts of old ice. ice extent is suceptible to the current wind conditions. so I suppose the modelling for the different groups could get different results from the same data depending on how they process it.

I believe one of the groups, PIOMAS (?), recently made large changes in its model. are they one of the groups being talked about?

it is a real shame that new models, new satellites, new anything arent run in parellel with the old methods for an extended time to get a better handle on what the effects are. perhaps they are but just not made public

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. yidnar

yidnar Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +931
    when the ice melts in a glass of ice water does the water level rise ??:razz:

10. Matthew

Matthew Blue dog all the way!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,088
    Nope, but no one said sea ice would rise the sea level. On the other hand melting land ice from ice sheets or glaciers surely will. Greenland, Antarctica. This topic isn't about sea levels either...:lol::lol::lol: Well one way you could rise the sea level is more open ocean=more energy being absorbed=expanding oceans. Water expands when you heat it. :lol::lol::lol::lol: Part of the rise in sea levels are because of the increasing temperature of the oceans.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011