Red Alert!

Ok, details.

Starts off as rain Thursday. We have a low pressure system over Florida that gets cut off from the jet stream and basically tracks up the East Coast going NE. DC, NYC, BOS all start off as rain, change over to sleet and then we get about 1 - 1.25" of liquid as snow. 10:1 ratios would give us 10 - 13 inches of snow. It pulls down some mighty cold air, so ratios could be higher. This takes place Thursday evening. This is a big, juicy low with Gulf of Mexico moisture in it. NYC, LI, DC, PHL, BOS all get hit with a major snowstorm. The further NW you are, the less you get. This is a CLASSIC nor'easter. If temperatures somehow trend colder, all bets are off. If this thing slows down or even stalls off of Long Island, forget about it. We could be looking at a Valentines Day 2006 redux. NYC got 24" of snow with that.

What worries me is the timing of this storm... it moves up the coast very slowly and if it speeds up the snow amounts will decrease. Things have to be JUST right for it to happen... but it looks PERFECT right now.

I would start paying attention to the news tomorrow evening. Start thinking about getting snow clothes... boots, gloves, shovels, etc. This storm is in between something terrible and something biblical. One thing changes and we'll have snow on the ground until Spring. Another thing changes and we'll be looking at 2-3 inches of rain.

Ok, details.

Starts off as rain Thursday. We have a low pressure system over Florida that gets cut off from the jet stream and basically tracks up the East Coast going NE. DC, NYC, BOS all start off as rain, change over to sleet and then we get about 1 - 1.25" of liquid as snow. 10:1 ratios would give us 10 - 13 inches of snow. It pulls down some mighty cold air, so ratios could be higher. This takes place Thursday evening. This is a big, juicy low with Gulf of Mexico moisture in it. NYC, LI, DC, PHL, BOS all get hit with a major snowstorm. The further NW you are, the less you get. This is a CLASSIC nor'easter. If temperatures somehow trend colder, all bets are off. If this thing slows down or even stalls off of Long Island, forget about it. We could be looking at a Valentines Day 2006 redux. NYC got 24" of snow with that.

What worries me is the timing of this storm... it moves up the coast very slowly and if it speeds up the snow amounts will decrease. Things have to be JUST right for it to happen... but it looks PERFECT right now.

I would start paying attention to the news tomorrow evening. Start thinking about getting snow clothes... boots, gloves, shovels, etc. This storm is in between something terrible and something biblical. One thing changes and we'll have snow on the ground until Spring. Another thing changes and we'll be looking at 2-3 inches of rain.

Oh crap. I'm supposed to fly home for Christmas a few days later. Any info on what dates it could reach Boston (I fly from Portland Maine)?

Thanks for the head's up RD.

I'll be sure to go shopping earlier this week.

Thanks for the head's up RD.

I'll be sure to go shopping earlier this week.

Don't forget milk, eggs and bread, even if you don't use them! That's just what you get before a snowstorm didn't ya know?

Red Alert cancel. Storm is moving too close to the coast. Look for a hell of a lot of rain Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Small chance for snow. Damnit. I need a new hobby besides chasing winter storms 5 days out. :angry:

Red Alert cancel. Storm is moving too close to the coast. Look for a hell of a lot of rain Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Small chance for snow. Damnit. I need a new hobby besides chasing winter storms 5 days out. :angry:

That is such a relief. :woohoo:

All that panic for nothing? *yawn* We've gotten 10 inches in the last 24 hours, and more coming.

Fact about weather predictions .... that pretty much says it. It's a prediction, and like ALL prediction generally has little chance of becoming fact. While they can say "there's a storm heading this way" they cannot say "the storm will hit here in such-and-such days." Weather is one of the least predictable parts of nature, even using trends and patterns there is still a lot of chance for error.

YOu were right about one thing...my part of Florida is projected to get 10+ inches of rain in the next 24 hours. Goodie.

Forum List

Back