Red alert - major hurricane headed for new york city

DavidS

Anti-Tea Party Member
Sep 7, 2008
New York, NY
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC23uAUGjhc"]YouTube - RED ALERT ![/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJgYurYwONE&feature=related[/ame]

gfs_ten_348m.gif

The GFS is currently predicting a category 3 hurricane to slam directly into the NYC Metro Area on Monday, August 24th, 2009. Stay tuned for further updates.

Last edited:
Better you then me.

Ohh ya remind us how Global warming has increased hurricanes and made them more powerful? Since Katrina that simply has not been true. As most said it was simply that Hurricane season and it was not even the worst storm that ever happened.

Good for New York! The rain will wash off the streets and the wind will blow all the crap laying around on the streets away. They can use a good clean up. Maybe the sidewalks won't smell like somebody just pissed on them...

Good for New York! The rain will wash off the streets and the wind will blow all the crap laying around on the streets away. They can use a good clean up. Maybe the sidewalks won't smell like somebody just pissed on them...

It'll take more than a little ole hurricane to do that. I like to visit NYC on occasion, but anything you can smell from that far away has got to be unfit for permanent human habitation.

That said, they are not exactly put together for a hurricane over there. Hopefully it stays out to sea.

Haven't heard about any hurricanes hitting NYC but if one of that power did, it would effect the USA economy a lot worse than Katrina did.

Talk about a setback in the economy?

Shut down NYC for a week and this recession will become a depression overnight.

NYC probably reprensensts about 10% of the GDP in this nation, folks.

By comparison Katrina's wrath effected three states whose contribution to this nation's GDP, I have been infomred, is only about 3% of the GDP.

thow in the disruption of the banking, stocks and financial communities and we're looking at a real nightmare regardless of where we happen to live.

30,000,000 Americans live within a hour or two of NYC, ya know.

It isn't like that hurricane would only effect NYC's 7,000,000 it would effect that whole megalopolis.

The floods that would effect the states of PA, NJ, CT and upstate New York would be catasrophic.

If you've never seen what happens to towns in river valleys (as most E. coast towns are) when the rains that hit out mountins come crashing though that valley, I suggest you google up the hurricane season of 1955 for some idea of what happens when an authtic hurricane gets that far north.

I saw Hurricane Diane's damages in PA and believe me, the deluge that came with that hurricane nearly completely wiped out towns over six states.

I think if anyone has to worry about Hurricane Bill that would be New England and Canada.

I think if anyone has to worry about Hurricane Bill that would be New England and Canada.

Jesus, I hope not.

My sister (who is handicapped) lives right next to the Broadhead Creek (pronounced Crik if you're from that part of the country BTW) that killed 55 people when it flooded in '55.

The water came down off the mountins so furious and so fast and so unexpectedly that people's homes were swept away by the 7' wave of water that hit Stroudsburg, PA.

A major hurricane's rains is what kills most people. The hurricane can be blown out and no longer hurricane strength and still the rains destroy whole communities.

It'll take more than a little ole hurricane to do that. I like to visit NYC on occasion, but anything you can smell from that far away has got to be unfit for permanent human habitation.

That said, they are not exactly put together for a hurricane over there. Hopefully it stays out to sea.
Maybe a tsunami?

The "Long Island Express" of 1938 had 183 mph winds. That is not the first major storm to hit Long Island. Here is a short summery of some recent ones.

A History of Hurricanes in New York

Storm Tracker
A history of hurricanes in New York—including the day in 1893 that Hog Island disappeared for good.
Add a Comment
1 Comment | Add Yours
00Comments | Add Yours
By Aaron Naparstek Published Sep 4, 2005

Last week, as the news from New Orleans kept getting worse, New York found itself in the position of watching another American city’s catastrophe, and giving back some of what was extended to us—in money and worry—four years ago. Despite the horrors we’ve seen, this was not one we could easily imagine.

But our own hurricane history is more tumultuous than many New Yorkers might think. In 1821, when a major hurricane made a direct hit on Manhattan, stunned residents recorded sea levels rising as fast as thirteen feet in a single hour down where there’s now Battery Park City. Everything was flooded south of Canal Street. The storm struck at low tide, though, and, according to Queens College professor Nicholas Coch, a coastal geologist who calls himself a “forensic hurricanologist,” that’s “the only thing that saved the city

The "Long Island Express" of 1938 had 183 mph winds. That is not the first major storm to hit Long Island. Here is a short summery of some recent ones.

A History of Hurricanes in New York

Storm Tracker
A history of hurricanes in New York—including the day in 1893 that Hog Island disappeared for good.
Add a Comment
1 Comment | Add Yours
00Comments | Add Yours
By Aaron Naparstek Published Sep 4, 2005

Last week, as the news from New Orleans kept getting worse, New York found itself in the position of watching another American city’s catastrophe, and giving back some of what was extended to us—in money and worry—four years ago. Despite the horrors we’ve seen, this was not one we could easily imagine.

But our own hurricane history is more tumultuous than many New Yorkers might think. In 1821, when a major hurricane made a direct hit on Manhattan, stunned residents recorded sea levels rising as fast as thirteen feet in a single hour down where there’s now Battery Park City. Everything was flooded south of Canal Street. The storm struck at low tide, though, and, according to Queens College professor Nicholas Coch, a coastal geologist who calls himself a “forensic hurricanologist,” that’s “the only thing that saved the city

providence, ri after the storm

1121866195_2054.jpg

we're due for one

Tropical Floater Two Visible Imagery - Satellite Services Division

This image if you look closely shows it is starting it's northeast move. I think Halifax has to worry a bit but by the time it gets there it will be at most a Cat 1 and they've seen worse.

At present, that looks to be the case. A good thing. Still, the people who made the call on the 10th of this month did pretty well in forecasting a hurricane that would have a path that had us worried for a while.

Forum List

Back