Record Number of Black Republican Candidates!

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
Rdean, stick that in your pipe and smoke it!

[
Hot Air NYT discovers record number of black Republicans running for Congress

B]NYT discovers record number of black Republicans running for CongressShare posted at [/B]

For the past year, the national media has attempted to paint the Tea Party movement and opposition to the Democratic agenda as based in racism, a reaction to the election of the first African-American President in November 2008. As the New York Times discovers, the reality of the opposition makes that very difficult to believe. Republicans have fielded a record number of African-American candidates for Congress, most or all of which have entered those contests with enthusiastic Tea Party support. And for that, the candidates credit … Barack Obama?

Among the many reverberations of President Obama’s election, here is one he probably never anticipated: at least 32 African-Americans are running for Congress this year as Republicans, the biggest surge since Reconstruction, according to party officials. …
But now black Republicans are running across the country — from a largely white swath of beach communities in Florida to the suburbs of Phoenix, where an African-American candidate has raised more money than all but two of his nine (white) Republican competitors in the primary.

Party officials and the candidates themselves acknowledge that they still have uphill fights in both the primaries and the general elections, but they say that black Republicans are running with a confidence they have never had before. They credit the marriage of two factors: dissatisfaction with the Obama administration, and the proof, as provided by Mr. Obama, that blacks can get elected.

“I ran in 2008 and raised half a million dollars, and the state party didn’t support me and the national party didn’t support me,” said Allen West, who is running for Congress in Florida and is one of roughly five black candidates the party believes could win. “But we came back and we’re running and things are looking great.”

But interviews with many of the candidates suggest that they felt empowered by Mr. Obama’s election, that it made them realize that what had once seemed impossible — for a black candidate to win election with substantial white support — was not.

West called the media narrative about Tea Party racism “fiction,” although the Times does its best to keep the fiction alive. The article says that videos show signs with “racially inflammatory language” at rallies, but West scoffs:

The black candidates interviewed overwhelmingly called the racist narrative a news media fiction. “I have been to these rallies, and there are hot dogs and banjos,” said Mr. West, the candidate in Florida, a retired lieutenant colonel in the Army. “There is no violence or racism there.”

There was more violence at May Day rallies this past weekend than there have been in over a year of Tea Party rallies. Did the New York Times cover those and assign them to the entire liberal politisphere in the manner they do here with conservatives? Did they link that violence to the immigration-reform movement in the same way they have with no violence at all at Tea Parties with its attendees?

What's with the extra labels?

This country, for the majority, elected a black president.

We've talked more, negatively, about race in the past 2 years than we have in the last 20

What's with the extra labels?

This country, for the majority, elected a black president.

We've talked more, negatively, about race in the past 2 years than we have in the last 20

Search me. I just know that you are not allowed to be black and a Republican without being a "token" go figure. Didn't that asswipe Harry Reid just tell hispanics none of them should be Republican? Yes I think he did. So guess where the racial divide is being stirred?

ThereLs one in my district actually. Strangely I plan on voting for his white rival in the primaries. The black conservative in the race is a neo-con christian rightist type guy. Ew. . . the white guy is a libertarian minded anti-drug war anti-interventionalist candidate. Yea!

ThereLs one in my district actually. Strangely I plan on voting for his white rival in the primaries. The black conservative in the race is a neo-con christian rightist type guy. Ew. . . the white guy is a libertarian minded anti-drug war anti-interventionalist candidate. Yea!

Racist!

Black Republicans are like Megan Fox to a teenage boy:

You can fantasize about it all day long, but it's never going to happen.

megan-fox.png

Last edited:
Would be cool if the Congressional black caucus had a Republican majority.

Just to see all those heads explode.

They wouldn't let JC Watts join, IIRC.

Forum List

Back