Record deficit

Well.. I was worried about Bush's budget that runs til the end of this fiscal year.. I was and am still worried about the extra 'off budget' spending Obama is adding as well.. and I am certainly worried about the amount of additional spending Obama and the DEM congress wants for next fiscal year

According to guys like Diamond Dave and Yurt, the deficit last year was over a trillion dollars. That being the case, its not even being doubled this year. Not a bad price to pay in a year where his policies are looking like they have saved the country from a depression.

Thanks to Obama, and to the Bush administration to, for taking fast action to avert a potential disaster.

Last edited:
Nothing from the past matters if it conflicts one's biass.:lol:

We were handed a broken economy by Bush and the Republicans.

When it is finally fixed, then expect the right to claim credit.:cuckoo:

According to guys like Diamond Dave and Yurt, the deficit last year was over a trillion dollars. That being the case, its not even being doubled this year. Not a bad price to pay in a year where his policies are looking like they have saved the country from a depression.

Thanks to Obama, and to the Bush administration to, for taking fast action to avert a potential disaster.

As much as I hate all of this spending, the TARP money was necessary; the stimulus package however, was pretty much just wasted money being thrown out there. I know a great many people would have liked to just see the banks fail, but that would not have been good for us in any way.

My problem with Obama, the Dems, and current thinking, is not this year's deficit, as great as it is. My problem is with future projections of increasing deficits due to a complete lack of fiscal responsibility. Once the banks are back on stable ground, there is no reason to continue increasing the size of the federal government, and this is the Democratic agenda.

Based on current projections, the federal government is going to grow to over 30% of GDP, a higher percentage than we have seen since WWII. For the last 50 or so years, the federal government has only accounted for around 20% of GDP, give or take a few percentage points at various times during that period. Now, however, the projections are moving beyond that 30% threshold and there seems to be no looking back. This doesn't even take into consideration the lack of funding for SS and Medicare, which if not addressed, will push that 30% to 40% of GDP within the next 15 to 20 years.

The writing is on the wall. There is no way that the economy is going to expand to the point that federal spending can be kept at the 20% figure without making some real changes including changes to SS and Medicare. As the government continues to spend more and more, the deficit will become unmanagable, and it will need to be addressed with the only option left, higher taxes for everyone. How much higher? Based on the fact the government will be spending twice as much as it has in the past, taxes will need to double, for everyone.

And guess what? This doesn't even include moving our healthcare to a one payer system run by the goverenment. Doing this, will move federal spending to around 50% of GDP. That will just be the federal goverenment. When we add in state spending and local taxes, nearly 60% of GDP will be derived from government spending. This is the path we are on, and it will be here sooner than most can imagine.

What will this do to the economy? Almost cerainly, the economy will begin to contract. At best, we will find ourselves is a no growth or slow growth economy and it will be permanent. The government will make certain everyone's minimal needs are met, but personal wealth will be destroyed completely. The very rich will hold on to most of their money, but you won't see new millionaires being self made over and over as we have in the past. Those generations following ours will have a standard of living less than what we enjoyed, and that trend will continue downward for following generations.

There are alternative options, and maybe the American electorate will actually wake up before this takes hold. But it will require a true awakening of those on the left to the realization that all the things they long for are just too expensive and not in the best interests of the whole. It will come down to the realization that fiscal responsibility and limited spending is the only way to long term wealth for everyone.

Is this possible? We can only hope.

As much as I hate all of this spending, the TARP money was necessary; the stimulus package however, was pretty much just wasted money being thrown out there. I know a great many people would have liked to just see the banks fail, but that would not have been good for us in any way.

My problem with Obama, the Dems, and current thinking, is not this year's deficit, as great as it is. My problem is with future projections of increasing deficits due to a complete lack of fiscal responsibility. Once the banks are back on stable ground, there is no reason to continue increasing the size of the federal government, and this is the Democratic agenda.

Based on current projections, the federal government is going to grow to over 30% of GDP, a higher percentage than we have seen since WWII. For the last 50 or so years, the federal government has only accounted for around 20% of GDP, give or take a few percentage points at various times during that period. Now, however, the projections are moving beyond that 30% threshold and there seems to be no looking back. This doesn't even take into consideration the lack of funding for SS and Medicare, which if not addressed, will push that 30% to 40% of GDP within the next 15 to 20 years.

The writing is on the wall. There is no way that the economy is going to expand to the point that federal spending can be kept at the 20% figure without making some real changes including changes to SS and Medicare. As the government continues to spend more and more, the deficit will become unmanagable, and it will need to be addressed with the only option left, higher taxes for everyone. How much higher? Based on the fact the government will be spending twice as much as it has in the past, taxes will need to double, for everyone.

And guess what? This doesn't even include moving our healthcare to a one payer system run by the goverenment. Doing this, will move federal spending to around 50% of GDP. That will just be the federal goverenment. When we add in state spending and local taxes, nearly 60% of GDP will be derived from government spending. This is the path we are on, and it will be here sooner than most can imagine.

What will this do to the economy? Almost cerainly, the economy will begin to contract. At best, we will find ourselves is a no growth or slow growth economy and it will be permanent. The government will make certain everyone's minimal needs are met, but personal wealth will be destroyed completely. The very rich will hold on to most of their money, but you won't see new millionaires being self made over and over as we have in the past. Those generations following ours will have a standard of living less than what we enjoyed, and that trend will continue downward for following generations.

There are alternative options, and maybe the American electorate will actually wake up before this takes hold. But it will require a true awakening of those on the left to the realization that all the things they long for are just too expensive and not in the best interests of the whole. It will come down to the realization that fiscal responsibility and limited spending is the only way to long term wealth for everyone.

I agree with your comments in general, though IMO it's not just "the left" that needs to wake up; "the right" has to wake up to and realize that the baby boomers are not going to completely vote away their entitlements and that the Govt cannot do so while maintaining one of the the lowest tax rates in the developed world.

I agree with your comments in general, though IMO it's not just "the left" that needs to wake up; "the right" has to wake up to and realize that the baby boomers are not going to completely vote away their entitlements and that the Govt cannot do so while maintaining one of the the lowest tax rates in the developed world.

This is the dilemna. However, the baby boomers need to be realistic and realize that those following them will eventually outnumber them. If we don't make some adjustments now to reduce the overall costs of these entitlements, there is a very good chance that once these younger generations understand how much it is effecting them, that they will.

The honest truth is that the retirement age should be raised gradually to 70 or 71. People are living much longer, so now they need to work longer and retire later on in life, unless of course they can afford to retire at an early age and live off of their own savings. Of course, we need to find a way to make it conducive for companies to retain these aging workers longer. As it stands now, things like increasing healthcare costs for employers are standing in the way of that.

Yup remind us again how bad Bush was?

Sure. Bush was fucking awful.

And yet Obama is going to spend 4 TIMES what Bush did. Go figure.

No, the deficit is projected to be 3 times more than last year. (Unless you use the debt as a measure of deficits as some here do, in which case the deficit last year was $1 trillion it it's not even going to be doubled).

Obama is not ever going to be close to spending 4 times what Bush did, or even double.

This is the dilemna. However, the baby boomers need to be realistic and realize that those following them will eventually outnumber them. If we don't make some adjustments now to reduce the overall costs of these entitlements, there is a very good chance that once these younger generations understand how much it is effecting them, that they will.

The honest truth is that the retirement age should be raised gradually to 70 or 71. People are living much longer, so now they need to work longer and retire later on in life, unless of course they can afford to retire at an early age and live off of their own savings. Of course, we need to find a way to make it conducive for companies to retain these aging workers longer. As it stands now, things like increasing healthcare costs for employers are standing in the way of that.

That is really a dilemma, because it seems ulikely to me the boomers -- the group that helped themselves to tax cuts which helped run up $11 trillion in debt -- are going to suddenly start cutting their own benefits.

I agree the age needs to be increased. I also think a lot of money could be saved by making it means tested. The Govt shouldn't be sending a SS check to the likes of Warren Buffet.

Those changes, with maybe a modest tax increase, would probably solve SS. Medicare is a whole nuther thing, from what I've read.

i was against bush's budget and am against obama's...instead of growing government, cut government and cut spending. i'm in court a bit and often see bankruptcy cases, i have given debtors exams etc...the court mandates that when you file for bankruptcy you have to list all assets, expenses etc...then the court basically mandates a budget in order to pay off your debts or the court can mandate you liquidate. how the government can tell anyone to do that and then turn around and spend trillions we don't have is beyond me....

Democrats controlled the budget the last to years of Chimpy.

If Obama had a bad deal handed to him, it was handed to him by Democrats.

In short, you have nobody to blame but yourselves.

Democrats probably would have raised taxes if they controlled the budget. Chimpy's veto power overruled them. The Democrats did not have a veto proof majority. Thus they had to compromise on the budget enough to get Chimpy to sign. Otherwise, no budget.

The government should stop giving former military people pensions and free medical treatment. They don't deserve it any more than the auto workers or teachers. Trillions of dollars would be saved.

Democrats probably would have raised taxes if they controlled the budget. Chimpy's veto power overruled them. The Democrats did not have a veto proof majority. Thus they had to compromise on the budget enough to get Chimpy to sign. Otherwise, no budget.
did they even try?
no

Bullshit.

They didn't have to give him a thing, doesn't matter what his 'veto' power was, the Democrats controlled the house and the senate.

If he veoted, Chimptoid would have taken 100% of teh blame.

Dems have nobody but themselves to blame for the mess BO has increased.

Bullshit.

It's true, believe or not. The President can veto a budget passed by Congress and it doesn't become law.

They didn't have to give him a thing, doesn't matter what his 'veto' power was, the Democrats controlled the house and the senate.

Do you know what a veto is? A budget doesn't pass if the President vetos. Let me know if you haven't heard about it -- it's somewhere in the constitution.

If he veoted, Chimptoid would have taken 100% of teh blame.

Why? Clinton used his veto power very effectively in just this way. Why do you think no major tax cut was passed until Bush took office? VETO

Dems have nobody but themselves to blame for the mess BO has increased.

Change increased to "inherited" and you'd have it right.

Forum List

Back