Reconciliation...

Just as the Contract with America made the Congressional elections in 1994 a national referendum on the Democrats, so shall the Repeal It! campaign of 2010. The only sad thing is that Newt won't be the Speaker of the House when the Republicans replace Comrade Pelosi.

Isn't it interesting that the time frame for implementation of the HC package (in whatever form it ultimately takes) will ALLOW for its repeal before it ever even takes effect -- if we can take back Congress and the Oval Office?

It's almost like the scumbag liberoidal Democratics expect to be eventaully taken off the hook of their own stupidity.

Just do it!
The Republican Party's leadership has shown complete disdain for the will of the people for change, and continues to thwart efforts by the Democrats in Congress to provide universal healthcare to all Americans.
Hundreds of billions of dollars have been spent to wage war on terror, a freaking noun, without a peep from the chicken hawks as to its cost in blood and treasure.
Yet today the same fiscal neophytes on the right claim Obama&Co are breaking the bank by working towards the reform of how we pay for healhcare.
Worse, the Palin/Gingrich fringe run around doing the Henny Penny Polka, stirring up anger with divisive rhetoric and laying the blame on Democrats who were elected to fix the myriad of problems our nation faces today.

Except, of course, the WILL of the PEOPLE is clear. We don't WANT the bullshit which President Obama and Speaker Pelousy and "Leader" Reid are trying to peddle. See, for example: Health Care Reform - Rasmussen Reports

Accordingly, putting Fly Catcher's deliberate lie to the side, the reality is that it is the liberal Democratics who are the ones who are busy demonstrating complete disdain for the will of the people!

Will of the people!!! where have you seen or heard that the people are in favor of this at staged Obama rally with only paid union thugs? every poll I have seen lately are the people are not in favor of this. Even the Democrats can not even get total support for this horrible bill!!! If the dems pass this bill they will pay in the upcoming elections the people will never forget this!!!!

Name one major social program that was passed by reconciliation.

Change like this should have the support of the public and both houses.

Bush's tax cuts; welfare for the rich.
Only on the fringe Stalinist crackpot left can people keeping what is theirs be referred to as "welfare". :lol:

With clowns like Eric Cantor and Lamar Alexander on the Sunday shows claiming how suicidal this would be for the Democrats, it shouldn't be hard to figure out that reconciliation is a good idea.

Indeed.
Actually, no. In this case, they're right, as evidenced by the Virginia, New Jersey and Massachusetts elections in addition to numerous polls. Denying this simple fact is pretty stupid, IMO.

Name one major social program that was passed by reconciliation.

Change like this should have the support of the public and both houses.

Bush's tax cuts; welfare for the rich.
Only on the fringe Stalinist crackpot left can people keeping what is theirs be referred to as "welfare". :lol:

Wow.

If I weren't such a huge fan of CrusaderFrank's brilliant observation, I would have myself a candidate for a new sig line.

That is a withering and absolutely insightful and brilliant rejoinder.

Ladies and Gentlemen, give it up for DUDE!

:clap2::bowdown::bowdown::udaman::udaman:

Your problem is the "why" the minority fears the legislation...

Because they know if it passes it'll upset their applecart even more in the long run, no matter how much political hay they make out of it in the short run.

Your hackism won't allow you to grasp that a.) we can't afford your Cadillac plan on a Hundai budget, and b.) the political repercussions of passage of such a widely unpopular bill via reconciliation (which anyone with >2 brain cells can comprehend)... Have you noticed that it's only the democrat party faithful clamoring for passage of the bill? No, of course you wouldn't...

<snip>
No, you remain clueless and blinded by your leftist stupidity, Krunchy...

The nastier you get, the more I know it's getting under your skin.

I'm gonna take the chance that this is a worthwhile longterm investment and keep rooting for it, thank you.

:D
Nothing you say or do could ever "get under my skin", Krunchster...:lol:

You hard-lefties are to be laughed at and mocked, which is just one of the free services I offer...

I'm still hoping your "leaders" go nuke...

Although it's really not anything like a "nuclear option", despite the spin being put on it, I hope so, too.

I can't figure out if reconciliation is the new nuclear option or not. Seems to me they - both sides - are using these terms interchangeably. :confused:

When asked at this morning’s White House press briefing, Press Secretary Robert Gibbs refused to rule out the “nuclear option” should a filibuster of the health care bill occur in the Senate. While emphasizing that he did not want to come to any conclusions before he knew the results of Thursday’s scheduled bipartisan health care summit, he pointed out that the nuclear option– the ending of a filibuster with a majority through point of order rather than the supermajority needed for cloture– has a history of success for allowing votes on controversial bills.

The measure would most likely be necessary to break a filibuster given the uniformity with which Republicans have been voting and the fact that Democrats lost their supermajority upon the election of Massachusetts Senator Scott Brown. “Reconciliation is a legislative vehicle that has been used on a number of occasions over the past many years,” he said, citing the Bush administration’s tax cuts in 2001 and 2003.

Robert Gibbs - Nuclear Option - Health Care Summit | Mediaite

Although it's really not anything like a "nuclear option", despite the spin being put on it, I hope so, too.

I can't figure out if reconciliation is the new nuclear option or not. Seems to me they - both sides - are using these terms interchangeably. :confused:

When asked at this morning’s White House press briefing, Press Secretary Robert Gibbs refused to rule out the “nuclear option” should a filibuster of the health care bill occur in the Senate. While emphasizing that he did not want to come to any conclusions before he knew the results of Thursday’s scheduled bipartisan health care summit, he pointed out that the nuclear option– the ending of a filibuster with a majority through point of order rather than the supermajority needed for cloture– has a history of success for allowing votes on controversial bills.

The measure would most likely be necessary to break a filibuster given the uniformity with which Republicans have been voting and the fact that Democrats lost their supermajority upon the election of Massachusetts Senator Scott Brown. “Reconciliation is a legislative vehicle that has been used on a number of occasions over the past many years,” he said, citing the Bush administration’s tax cuts in 2001 and 2003.

To me, it means the same thing, whether that's true technically or not...

When in doubt, wikipedia to the rescue.

In U.S. politics, the nuclear option is an attempt by a majority of the United States Senate to end a filibuster by invoking a point of order to essentially declare the filibuster unconstitutional which can be decided by a simple majority, rather than seeking formal cloture with a supermajority of 60 senators.

For a discussion of the legislatively-enacted reconciliation process, which only requires a majority vote, but which - unlike the nuclear option - does not alter Senate rules, see Reconciliation (United States Congress).

My thoughts as well. Is this one of those Obama 'name change' things, like war on terror? Wait, no that's calling reconciliation 'simple majority'. My bad!

i can't figure out if reconciliation is the new nuclear option or not. Seems to me they - both sides - are using these terms interchangeably. :confused:

robert gibbs - nuclear option - health care summit | mediaite

to me, it means the same thing, whether that's true technically or not...

my thoughts as well. Is this one of those obama 'name change' things, like war on terror? Wait, no that's calling reconciliation 'simple majority'. My bad!

simple majority = reconciLiation = nuclear option, it just means one thing and that is bad for the democrats who push it

wow, this website can't spell reconcilitaion, hmmm weird

Last edited:

My thoughts as well. Is this one of those Obama 'name change' things, like war on terror? Wait, no that's calling reconciliation 'simple majority'. My bad!

Yep... Either way, it's not going to sit well with a majority of the population and will end up causing more woes to the Democrat Party come November...

This is a good thing, as the one-party-rule fiasco will be shown the door...

to me, it means the same thing, whether that's true technically or not...

my thoughts as well. Is this one of those obama 'name change' things, like war on terror? Wait, no that's calling reconciliation 'simple majority'. My bad!

simple majority = reconciLiation = nuclear option, it just means one thing and that is bad for the democrats who push it

Yep. No matter what they're calling it today it all amounts to the same thing.

Yep. No matter what they're calling it today it all amounts to the same thing.

Yep, you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnkI0lyIzcc]YouTube - Barack Obama "Lipstick on a Pig" Sarah Palin John McCain[/ame]

Reconciliation is allowed under federal law, Congressional Budget Act of 1974 (2 U.S.C. § 641(e)(2))

The nuclear option is something right wing loons came up with that is not law.

I know it's hard for many of you to grasp...but there is a difference. And Reconciliation has been used over 20 times in the past...even by *gasp* Republicans.

Forum List

Back