Reconciliation!

slackjawed

Self deported
Sep 27, 2008
15th congressional district of Arizona
Ok, after today's show, it is clear that bipartisan support for healthcare is not going to happen.

The democrats control congress, both houses, and couldn't pass it in the normal way. Mostly due to disagreement among their own party.
Do you think they can pass it using reconciliation?

I hope they try, not because i want hem to do it. i want them to try because i think it will help balance our government in the coming elections. i think our government works best when the congress is controlled by the party in opposition to the president.

What do you think?

If they do pass it using reconciliation, do you think it will be overturned when the congress changes hands?

Ok, after today's show, it is clear that bipartisan support for healthcare is not going to happen.

The democrats control congress, both houses, and couldn't pass it in the normal way. Mostly due to disagreement among their own party.

I hope they try, not because i want hem to do it. i want them to try because i think it will help balance our government in the coming elections. i think our government works best when the congress is controlled by the party in opposition to the president.

What do you think?

If they do pass it using reconciliation, do you think it will be overturned when the congress changes hands?

First it has to pass the house... Again. Common misconception; Before any reconciliation comes into play an identical bill must pass both houses, in this case since Repubs will block anything in the Senate, they must first pass the Senate bill, exactly as it's written, in the House. In that sense, before any reconciliation, the Senate version will have been passed "In the normal way."

As far as being overturned... No, not while Dems have the white house.

Last edited:

What do you think?

First it has to pass the house... Again. Common misconception; Before any reconciliation comes into play an identical bill must pass both houses, in this case since Repubs will block anything in the Senate, they must first pass the Senate bill, exactly as it's written, in the House.

That's why i said what i did, in bold above. And i understand the process, as well as the fact that pelosi says she CAN get the senate bill through the house as written. Thats what i am asking, can they do it.
Not a critique based on reading some of my post, while ignoring the rest.

What do you think?

First it has to pass the house... Again. Common misconception; Before any reconciliation comes into play an identical bill must pass both houses, in this case since Repubs will block anything in the Senate, they must first pass the Senate bill, exactly as it's written, in the House. In that sense, before any reconciliation, the Senate version will have been passed "In the normal way."

It can be unfunded.

What do you think?

First it has to pass the house... Again. Common misconception; Before any reconciliation comes into play an identical bill must pass both houses, in this case since Repubs will block anything in the Senate, they must first pass the Senate bill, exactly as it's written, in the House.

That's why i said what i did, in bold above. And i understand the process, as well as the fact that pelosi says she CAN get the senate bill through the house as written. Thats what i am asking, can they do it.

I thought there was something like 50 votes that did not want the language on the funding for abortions in the Senate Bill...

What do you think?

Slack, I didn't think my reply was argumentative in the least.

You said "When congress changes hands" and I said "Not while dems have the White house." Barack would almost certainly veto said proposal.

You said "When congress changes hands" and I said "Not while dems have the White house." Barack would almost certainly veto said proposal.

You think Obama would veto a bill passed by reconciliation?
sorry if i misunderstood you, I don't want to be like that.
Why do you think that he would veto it? That is an interesting take and i am interested as I simply had not thought he would do that. It sounded to me like he would welcome such a bill.

Didn't you hear? Reid says that no one has talked about reconciliation?

Reid Inaccurately Claims 'No One Has Talked About Reconciliation' (VIDEO) | TPM LiveWire

Yes, the Dems have talked about it. Whether they have the stones to do it is another matter. And, no, as long as the WH is in Dem hands, any attempt by a Republican congress to overturn it is dead in the water. Let no more than three terms go by with it done legally, a ground swell of special identity recipients will throw out anyone Congressman who threatens it.

This is going to be interesting to watch.

Why do you think that he would veto it? That is an interesting take and i am interested as I simply had not thought he would do that. It sounded to me like he would welcome such a bill.

No, I'd agree that he won't veto a bill he has campaigned upon so much and hung his balls on regarding re-election. :)

What I meant was, if the bill passes this time and the next congress attempts to kill it, it's unlikely to happen if Barack is still in the White House. If the new congress passed a bill to kill the reform bill, Barack would have to sign, which he wouldn't. Then they'd need a 2/3rd majority to over-ride his veto; A very unlikely scenario.

No big we all get a lil emotional.

No, I'd agree that he won't veto a bill he has campaigned upon so much and hung his balls on regarding re-election. :)

What I meant was, if the bill passes this time and the next congress attempts to kill it, it's unlikely to happen if Barack is still in the White House. If the new congress passed a bill to kill the reform bill, Barack would have to sign, which he wouldn't. Then they'd need a 2/3rd majority to over-ride his veto; A very unlikely scenario.

Do you think they will try to push it through?

Do you think they will try to push it through?

*Shrug* The thing is, there is no "They." It's the disagreement among themselves that stopped them the first time.

I think Barry will certainly try to push it through. If I had to venture a guess, I'd say yes, something will get through this year. But the public option, a big part of the "Reconciliation" game and the subject of the Bennett letter... I would venture a "no." But who knows.

Forum List

Back