Recommended course of action

RetiredGySgt

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007
North Carolina
I recommend the following before we pull out of Iraq.

If you live in a major city, MOVE. If you can not, buy a shotgun and a rifle and possible a hand gun, I suggest 3 to 5 hundred rounds of ammo for each. If your in a city that doesn't allow weapons I remind you, MOVE.

If you live near any military bases do as above.

If you live near any power plants, stations, facilities, etc, do as above.

If your near any major tourist attractions do as above.

If you have money I suggest redoing your house with hardened concrete from the ground up to at least 6 feet.

I suggest you spend some time on a range relearning or learning to shoot.

You may want to buy a portable generator capable of powering your house. Not sure how safe it will be storing fuel for it but you may want some anyway.

Make good friends with your neighbors and get to know everyone in your general area, know who belongs and who doesn't. Advice them to arm themselves.

You should consider having at a minimum a months supply of food that doesn't depend on refrigeration. As well as a stock of clean water for drinking. Do NOT advertise you have extra food or water.

I would suggest you keep your car full of gas all the time.

When we abandon Iraq you can count on serious attacks to commence inside the US within 2 to 3 years or less.

If you live in a major city, MOVE. If you can not, buy a shotgun and a rifle and possible a hand gun, I suggest 3 to 5 hundred rounds of ammo for each. If your in a city that doesn't allow weapons I remind you, MOVE.

If you have money I suggest redoing your house with hardened concrete from the ground up to at least 6 feet.

You may want to buy a portable generator capable of powering your house. Not sure how safe it will be storing fuel for it but you may want some anyway.

Make good friends with your neighbors and get to know everyone in your general area, know who belongs and who doesn't. Advice them to arm themselves.

You should consider having at a minimum a months supply of food that doesn't depend on refrigeration. As well as a stock of clean water for drinking. Do NOT advertise you have extra food or water.

When we abandon Iraq you can count on serious attacks to commence inside the US within 2 to 3 years or less.

It's interesting that you are all for panic now! You're a little late.

With AlQaeda now at pre 9-11 strength after four years in Iraq and our president feeding us this horse shit that it was making us "safer" all the time one would think you' have spoken up sooner.

Boy!

You're a hell of a guy to rely on in a crisis aren't you?

For a Marine you sure are a pussy. This is the sort of "if you don't agree with us, YOU WILL DIE!" bullshit rhetoric that has made many people very disgusted with the Bush Administration. If you are that much of a pussy, then I advise you to also stay in doors, never drive, never smoke or go near anyone smoking, probably should avoid bars and alcohol and preservatives, and other people (might have diseases, you never know). In fact, your computer might spontaneously combust, so why not turn that off as well.

Feel free to cower in your doom and gloom, but I am going to enjoy living life. I live in NYC, and even though the Bush Administration which you think will save us all, is giving us 75 mil less than it did 2 years ago (because, you know, places like Wyoming are really going to get hit by a terrorist attack...right), I will continue to live here and say fuck you to anyone who tries to scare me out of my life.

But you know...have fun living alone, in a box, in shitsville. I'm sure it will be a glorious life full of terror and nervousness whenever you hear a car go by.

It's amazing how many people suddenly become 'experts on terrorism' after watching their nightly newscasts.

http://www.reason.com/news/show/121344.html

For anyone who has grown complacent about the danger of terrorism, the incidents in London and Glasgow were supposed to provide a jolt of reality. As former federal prosecutor Andrew McCarthy put it, "these foiled attacks are best understood as new rounds in a long, global war, provoked by the challenge of radical Islam." Here was proof that the jihadists are still out there, ready to strike at the moment of their choosing.

Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff clearly agrees. On a visit Tuesday to the Chicago Tribune, he said he has a "gut feeling" an attack may be imminent. "The intent to attack us remains as strong as it was on Sept. 10, 2001," he declared.

Well, no one in that job is ever going to say the danger has been overstated. But the truth is that intent and ability are not the same thing. Though, al Qaeda may—emphasize "may"—still have the capacity to mount the occasional major operation, that doesn't mean terrorism should be treated as an omnipresent, existential threat.

In reality, this fight bears only a faint resemblance to a real war. Only rarely can al Qaeda and its imitators manage a strike against their prime enemies, Britain and the United States, and even more rarely can they succeed. Like the alleged terrorists who planned to attack Fort Dix and JFK International Airport, the perpetrators in Britain were not trained professionals but bumbling amateurs.

On Sept. 12, 2001, it was easy to believe that we would suffer dozens of major attacks on U.S. soil over the next six years, and almost impossible to imagine we would suffer none. Instead of being the opening blitz of a "long, global war," 9/11 was a freak event that may never be replicated.
In a real war, such as the ones we are fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan, many people die, week in and week out. But John Mueller, a national security professor at Ohio State University, notes that in a typical year, no more than a few hundred people are killed worldwide in attacks by al Qaeda and similar groups outside of war zones.

That's too many, but it's not a danger on the order of Nazi Germany or the Soviet Union or even Saddam Hussein. It's more like organized crime—an ongoing problem demanding unceasing vigilance, a malady that can be contained but never eliminated.

By framing the fight as a global war, we have helped Osama bin Laden and hurt ourselves. Had we treated him and his confederates as the moral equivalent of international drug lords or sex traffickers, the organization might not have the romantic image it has acquired. By exaggerating the potential impact, we also magnified the disruptive effect of any plots, which is just what the terrorists seek.
We do further harm to ourselves by accepting government actions we would never tolerate except in the context of war. Recently, a federal appeals court threw out a lawsuit challenging the National Security Agency's secret surveillance of phone calls made between the United States and foreign countries.

The judges' reasoning was right out of "Catch-22": You can't sue unless you can prove you've been wiretapped, but you can't prove it because the wiretappers won't tell you. The government abuses its power secretly, in the name of national security, and the secrecy protects it from having to end the abuse.

Crime is a serious national problem that used to be even worse. At the height of the mayhem, more than 24,000 Americans were murdered annually—a Sept. 11, 2001, attack every six weeks. Yet even when the toll was at its worst, we insisted that police respect the constitutional rights of suspected criminals. We maintained the limits on the power of the president and other law enforcement officials to investigate and imprison people. For the most part, we kept our perspective.
After the World Trade Center came down, by contrast, we let ourselves be convinced that many restrictions were an unaffordable luxury. Any concern for civil liberties was met with the retort: "We're at war." And in war, anything goes.

The 9/11 attack was a crisis that has largely passed, but no one in Washington wants to admit it. It's politically safer to depict the danger as undiminished no matter how long we go without an attack. But someday, we will look back and ask if we were acting out of sensible caution or unfounded panic.

It's amazing how many people suddenly become 'experts on terrorism' after watching their nightly newscasts.

You don't need to be an "expert on terrorism" to know that NYC is a bigger terrorist target than Wyoming. You only need to have a tiny modicum of intelligence to realize that.

By the way...I don't watch television.

You don't need to be an "expert on terrorism" to know that NYC is a bigger terrorist target than Wyoming. You only need to have a tiny modicum of intelligence to realize that.

It's amazing how many Experts on Terrorism DO NOT work for the Government - instead, they waste time away posting on Forums. ;)

Actually your chances of being hit by terrorists in the U.S. are miniscule. They always have been. There is very little to worry about in that regard.

Unless of course you believe like Ret. Gunny, that the U.S. is too weak to protect itself within it's own borders therefore needs to be stirring up shit halfway around the world in order to ensure it's own safety.

Actually your chances of being hit by terrorists in the U.S. are miniscule. They always have been. There is very little to worry about in that regard.

So, what number of deaths move the chances up the scale. We can surmise that it isn't any where near 3000!

So, what number of deaths move the chances up the scale. We can surmise that it isn't any where near 3000!

The 3,000 was 6 years ago. In case you hadn't noticed, things have changed just a bit since then.

The 3,000 was 6 years ago. In case you hadn't noticed, things have changed just a bit since then.

I hadn't noticed. I watch tv ... maybe that's the difference?

I have to ask when statistic regarding terrorist attacks go out of date. Got a time frame for when 3000 deaths no longer matter?

Your war was the biggest boon and recruiting tool for al qaeda that one could possibly imagine. Bin Ladin is laughing his ass off that Bush invaded and occupied an arab country ruled by a ruthless, yet secular, arab dictator.

As long as your war and occupation of iraq continues, recruits will continue to pour into al qaeda in numbers that wouldn't have been possible prior to your war. Bascially, you poured gasoline on a fire.

There is not going to be any good solution or happy ending. But, I think pulling out is the best option. Babysitting a civil war just adds to al qaeda's recruitment. Bush created Al Qaeda in Iraq. It didn't exist before your war.

I think the majority shia will basically find and execute every foreign al qaeda fighter that remains in iraq after we leave. Al Qaeda in iraq is responsible for killing tens of thousands of iraqi shia.....far more, than the number of americans killed on 9/11.

This iraqi shia are not going to be friends or make peace with al qaeda. They have a major grudge with them. And I don't blame them.

is this a routine that RGS is trying out on us before using it at open mike comedy night at the local Amvets?

This is nothing but silliness, and hyperbolic fearmongering.

If we leave Iraq and concentrate our military forces on the fight against islamic extremism instead of wasting lives and treasure trying to mediate a family feud between rival sects of Islam, we will be MORE safe, not less.

is this a routine that RGS is trying out on us before using it at open mike comedy night at the local Amvets?

This is nothing but silliness, and hyperbolic fearmongering.

If we leave Iraq and concentrate our military forces on the fight against islamic extremism instead of wasting lives and treasure trying to mediate a family feud between rival sects of Islam, we will be MORE safe, not less.

Might I suggest, that maineman makes a LOT of sense on this subject. Forget party talking points and rhetoric, what he suggest is right, and sensible.

I hadn't noticed. I watch tv ... maybe that's the difference?

I have to ask when statistic regarding terrorist attacks go out of date. Got a time frame for when 3000 deaths no longer matter?

Its not whether they matter or not, its whether we should be shaking in our boots over them.

And if you are so concerned about people dying, why no wars on heart disease, cancer, or stroke?

Its not whether they matter or not, its whether we should be shaking in our boots over them.

And if you are so concerned about people dying, why no wars on heart disease, cancer, or stroke?

So, you don't watch your cholestrol, try to increase anti-oxidents, or get your blood pressure checked?

Who's 'shaking'? Prevention is way better than trying to 'recover.'

So, you don't watch your cholestrol, try to increase anti-oxidents, or get your blood pressure checked?

Who's 'shaking'? Prevention is way better than trying to 'recover.'

Those are not comparable to what RGS is suggesting. Although, no, I don't do any of those things. But I am 23, and extremely healthy, so I don't really need too.

I always find relativist arguments amazing in their absurd one-sidedness. Somebody give a reason, the other accuses him of making excuses.

One man offers words of caution and taking precautions, he gets accused of paranoid fear-mongering.

I don't care WHAT the likelihood of being killed by a terrorist in the US is. If it's more than 0.0, it's too damned high.

Those are not comparable to what RGS is suggesting. Although, no, I don't do any of those things. But I am 23, and extremely healthy, so I don't really need too.

Actually, comparing health issues to issues of national security and the like is a pretty big stretch anyway.

Forum List

Back