Recommendations? In response to the What are you reading thread.

Smilebong

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2013
Cold Cold North Country
I love to read, and I like to get people's recommendations.

I have hundreds of non-fiction books to read on my list.

I have read all of Grisham. All of Steinbeck in the past year. I read Wuthering Heights, Sense and Sensibility, Mansfield Park.

I collect Louis L'amour.

So you kind of see what I like.

What do you recommend?

Michael Palmer? Medical/crime/thrillers - he's not bad.

Tara Moss is a Canadian/Australian author, crime/thriller novels, she's brilliant.

I guess my thread was stupid.

Other than Noomi, no one responded. Thanks Noomi.

I am new here and maybe I don't know how to make a good thread?

Give it time. Usually, only the more sensible posters visit this forum.

have you read any Follett, Ken?

ec

This is one of his better works. Pillars of the Earth

Excellent book!

Last edited:
Robert Lundum is extremely interesting. I enjoy the Bourne series..and the movies are entertaining too which is a positive

I didn't notice your thread until now. 99% of the time I just hit the "New Posts" button and scroll through the list until I've had enough and a lot of times that means I don't read all the new posts or threads. I suspect many others do the same.

That being said...

Keith Richards "Life".
Mark Sisson "Primal Blueprint" (Maybe 10th time)
Dan Rooney "75 Years with the Steelers".

I don't really watch sports anymore but I do like reading the autobiographies of the players and owners from all sports.

Now I'm doing less reading as I'm studying for the Level 4 Japanese Language Proficiency Test.

I lean toward non-fiction

"1913" by Oliver DeMille (A lot of his stuff is good)

I also lean toward dark stuff:

"Blackbird: A Childhood Lost and Found" by Jennifer Lauck

Fictional dark author is: A. M. Homes like "Music for Torching" and "The Safety of Objects". Her book "Jack" is particularly disturbing

Along the theme of disturbing, the classic "Lolita" by Vladimir Nabokov is a once in a life-time read although classics like "The Handmaids Tale" by Margaret Atwood, "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand, and "The Scarlet Letter" by Nathaniel Hawthorne might be worthy of a re-read.

The scariest science fiction I ever read was "Swan Song" by Robert McCammon

My husband leans toward Lee Childs.

For light reading, I enjoy David Sedaris (and is sister write, too).

On my to read list is "The Gulag Archipelago" by Alexander Solzhenitsyn (no Kindle version yet and I haven't found it in a used book store) and "Behold a Pale Horse" by William Cooper (along the way, I found "Upon a Pale Horse" by Russell Blake and that looks good, too).

As a family we read aloud each evening. These are more kid friendly books since my child is a pre-teen. The classic "Treasure Island" was good, but very long. We look forward to reading "The Wizard of Oz" soon. We've read some Sherlock Holmes. We're right now reading the "I.Q." series by Roland Smith and next in line is "Divergent" by Veronica Roth.

BTW, I love getting book recommends!

Reading too much as always, but for relaxation reading Issac Asimov's 'Complete Stories' volume one. I'm not much into Sci-fi but Asimov's work touches more on the complexity of ideas and people.

Tons of stuff here: http://www.usmessageboard.com/reviews/85148-reading-that-opens-the-mind-books.html#post1681501 --- and original here: http://www.usmessageboard.com/reviews/85148-reading-that-opens-the-mind-books.html

I finished Barlett and Steele's book recently, tough read as it examines aspects of America today that are often swept under the carpet.

'The Betrayal of the American Dream' Donald L. Barlett, James B. Steele
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Betrayal-American-Dream-Donald-Barlett/dp/1586489690/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8]The Betrayal of the American Dream: Donald L. Barlett, James B. Steele: 9781586489694: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

I lean toward non-fiction

"1913" by Oliver DeMille (A lot of his stuff is good)

I also lean toward dark stuff:

"Blackbird: A Childhood Lost and Found" by Jennifer Lauck

Fictional dark author is: A. M. Homes like "Music for Torching" and "The Safety of Objects". Her book "Jack" is particularly disturbing

Along the theme of disturbing, the classic "Lolita" by Vladimir Nabokov is a once in a life-time read although classics like "The Handmaids Tale" by Margaret Atwood, "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand, and "The Scarlet Letter" by Nathaniel Hawthorne might be worthy of a re-read.

The scariest science fiction I ever read was "Swan Song" by Robert McCammon

My husband leans toward Lee Childs.

For light reading, I enjoy David Sedaris (and is sister write, too).

On my to read list is "The Gulag Archipelago" by Alexander Solzhenitsyn (no Kindle version yet and I haven't found it in a used book store) and "Behold a Pale Horse" by William Cooper (along the way, I found "Upon a Pale Horse" by Russell Blake and that looks good, too).

As a family we read aloud each evening. These are more kid friendly books since my child is a pre-teen. The classic "Treasure Island" was good, but very long. We look forward to reading "The Wizard of Oz" soon. We've read some Sherlock Holmes. We're right now reading the "I.Q." series by Roland Smith and next in line is "Divergent" by Veronica Roth.

BTW, I love getting book recommends!

Thanks.

My kids are older and are all avid readers. When they were young, we read together regularly. We read the Lord of the Rings books and many others.

I started reading The Gulag Archipelago" many years ago. It is a huge undertaking.

I am going to get the Brothers Karamzov to read on vacation.

Last edited:
Change of pace suggestion: Almost anything by Christopher Moore. Funny and poignant. I particularly like "Lamb" and "Dirty Jobs".

I'm reading The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich

I read this book many years ago and I'm enjoying it more the second time around!

"The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold
"The Men's Health Big Book of Food and Nutrition"
"Mortality" by Christopher Hitchens (His writings are very enjoyable.)

I have a few authors I enjoy...Roger Macbride Allen and Jack McDevitt.

Start with 'A Talent for War' by McDevitt and 'The Depths of Time' by Allen.

Both outstanding weavers of scifi tales.

I don’t know about your particular genre. I enjoy science fiction and fantasy mostly so that is what I know.

For those interested in science fiction books and have not read Card, I would strongly suggest both the Enders Game and Homecoming series. They are easy reads though. Fantastic books anyway. Card starts his series off very well though he seems to be garbage in ending them ;) The Ring of Charon was also a good book though the third in the set is not written yet and the author seems to be taking his sweet time with that. It is acceptable though as, unlike many series; the third is not detrimental to the story line as it had a hard ending.

For fantasy, I really am enjoying the Wheel of Time series. If you like a lengthy series (13 books in total) then that is definitely worth a read. The Banned and the Banished was also a worthy read in that genre. Shorter (4 books) and easier to read than the Wheel of Time. The only real problem with the Wheel of Time is trying to remember the thousand characters that the series attempts to follow :D

I also really like dark political fictions a LOT. Fahrenheit 451 was FANTASTIC and everyone should read that book. Also 1984, Animal Farm and Brave New World were worth the read. I personally enjoyed Atlas Shrugged but that is a matter of taste as many here have pointed out.

For comedy, I thought The Ultimate Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy was an excellent book.

Anyone have some good recommendations for Science Fiction/Fantasy or something along the lines of 451/1984 that they would suggest?

On the contrary, this is a very good thread. You started it in the CDZ though and threads here move FAR slower due to the fact that there are only a few of us that bother to read this forum. Many here are too interested in flaming and name calling to bother with this area.

A thread like this would gain far more traction in the general areas of this board though I think you will find the quality of interaction here more than worth the limited traffic.

Forum List

Back