Recommend an Ionizer, Please

Sunshine

Trust the pie.
Dec 17, 2009
This year, I plan to start buying ionizers until I have every room in my house covered. I don't know anything about them. Does anyone on here? Can you make a recommendation? What size do you need for a particular room size? Or will there have to be more than one per room. My living area upstairs is 'open concept', bedrooms are large, and downstairs I have a good size 'office.' I may get one to take to work for my office as well. So it would have to be fairly quiet.

What say you, oh experts on pretty much everything?

raygun.jpg

I have found one on Amazon that ionizes and produces ozone. Ozone is supposed to kill mold. I don't have a real dampness problem, but I do notice some mold occasionally in my basement. Am thinking I might give that one a whirl,.

I have found one on Amazon that ionizes and produces ozone. Ozone is supposed to kill mold. I don't have a real dampness problem, but I do notice some mold occasionally in my basement. Am thinking I might give that one a whirl,.
Have a gander here:A Potentially Dangerous Fraud - Ecoquest Living Air Classic Air Purifier - Epinions.com

they actually can be dangerous to some.

:snip::"...The controversy about ion generators revolves around whether they actually work and, if they work, how well they work (usually not so well).

The concern about ozone generators is much greater. If they don't produce high levels of ozone, then they don't work, because they can't work. If they do work, then they are producing dangerously high levels of ozone. That is why ozone generators for residential use is widely condemned.

See the EPA fact sheet on ozone generators at:
Ozone Generators that are Sold as Air Cleaners | Indoor Air | US EPA

See also the fact sheet of the NIEHS (National Institute of Environmental Health of the National Insitutes of Health) at Notice of Redirection

"The bottom line is this: To generate enough ozone to be potentially effective, the ozone equipment would have to produce dangerous amounts of ozone. Contrary to suggestions from some sales people, no federal agency approves, much less recommends, ozone generators for use in occupied spaces." Notice of Redirection

See the latest statement by the CARB (California Air Resources Board) at AirShare - News

"These machines are insidious. Marketed as a strong defense against indoor air pollution, they emit ozone, the same chemical that the ARB and the US/EPA (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency) have been trying to eliminate from our air for decades," said acting ARB Chairperson Barbara Riordan. "More chilling is that some people susceptible to the ill effects of ozone will eagerly bring these Trojan horses home."

"Manufacturers often falsely claim that these devices eliminate bacteria, mold, and chemical contaminants from the air, and that they help persons with asthma and allergies.
"Independent studies by the USEPA, the Consumers Union, and others have shown that these devices do not effectively destroy microbes, remove odor sources, or reduce indoor pollutants enough to provide any health benefits."

See also http://www.arb.ca.gov/research/indoor/acdsumm.pdf

I do know that ionizers work because they use them in a hotel I used when I was traveling to remove cigarette smoke. Occasionally they would have to let someone who smoked use their non smoking rooms. And they cleaned the rooms up with the ionizer.

A couple of years ago, I worked in a building that had black mold. A man I know who has a degree in a relevant field recommended the use of ozone. Of course, the workplace never did. And I mainly want to use it in my basement.

The one I found on Amazon gets rave reviews.

The more I read, the more it sounds like the ozone thing may not be altogether safe. So I will look at just an ionizer. That will probably do about what I want.

Hey- wife got one of these for Christmas.
She sez it acts as an ionizer.

Salt Crystal Large Stone Accent Lamp - EuroStyleLighting.com

Well maybe not. I can't figure out what they mean LOL.

Salt lamps work naturally by attracting airborne moisture to the lamp surface which should be at least warm to the touch for optimal results. This hygroscopic process is the special relationship of salt and water. Water evaporation creates a small field of beneficial negative ions around the salt lamp; over time the balance of these ions in the air increases against typically more numerous (and harmful) positive ions, essentially neutralizing them.

Last edited:
OK, so here's the final decision. I called my heat and air guy and he is going to install a Honeywell electronic filter on my furnace. It is kind of like a bug zapper and actually destroys the dust, pollen, mold, cat hair, etc. I know people who have had them and they don't even have to dust. Gets rid of 99% of the stuff mentioned. Cost to me labor and all will be around $750. He said some doctors have actually prescribed them, so I'm going to take it to my lung doctor and see if he will.

I have created a lot of dust in this house with my many projects from tearing out and replacing sheet rock to installing hardwood floors. I need something.

Thanks for the input. It helped me make up my mind about it.

Good call. :thup:

Have you considered getting your ducts cleaned also?

Yes, my heat and air guy suggested that. He doesn't do that, though. He did give me the name of a person who does. That will probably be included in spring cleaning. Prolly should do it now, but I'm trying to save up my leave days for a couple of trips in the spring.

This year, I plan to start buying ionizers until I have every room in my house covered. I don't know anything about them. Does anyone on here? Can you make a recommendation? What size do you need for a particular room size? Or will there have to be more than one per room. My living area upstairs is 'open concept', bedrooms are large, and downstairs I have a good size 'office.' I may get one to take to work for my office as well. So it would have to be fairly quiet.

What say you, oh experts on pretty much everything?

They smell...

I cannot stand the smell...

electro_atomizer_ray_gun.jpg

My illudium Q-36 explosive space modulator........

Oh..... ionizer, not atomizer..... never mind.........

The heat and air guy is here to put the electronic filter on my furnace. He has two guys with him and he sounds to be teaching apprentices. That is refreshing!

Electronic filter installed and running! Now to pay the bill $750. A good deal if it is as good as the people who have them say they are!

Seems to be working already. Over the next weeks, I 'm going to wash down everything in my house. Friends who have them say they don't even have to dust.

Seems to be working already. Over the next weeks, I 'm going to wash down everything in my house. Friends who have them say they don't even have to dust.

Thats what I do Heating & Air. What do you want to happen with your system?

Forum List

Back