Recommend a book for a fellow-poster

JBeukema

Rookie
Apr 23, 2009
everywhere and nowhere
Got a book a fellow poster here on USMB really ought to read?

I'll start.

I'm reading this one now and I can't help thinking 'Wow, Maddie really needs to read this'

9781596980037.jpg

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Politically-Incorrect-Guide-Women-Feminism/dp/1596980036]Amazon.com: The Politically Incorrect Guide to Women, Sex And Feminism (9781596980037): Carrie L. Lukas: Books: Reviews, Prices & more[/ame]

For USArmyRetired and TPS......

n53684.jpg

Novel by Sinclair Lewis, a satiric indictment of fundamentalist religion that caused an uproar upon its publication in 1927. The title character of Elmer Gantry starts out as a greedy, shallow, philandering Baptist minister, turns to evangelism, and eventually becomes the leader of a large Methodist congregation. Throughout the novel Gantry encounters fellow religious hypocrites, including Mrs. Evans Riddle, Judson Roberts, and Sharon Falconer, with whom he becomes romantically involved. Although he is often exposed as a fraud, Gantry is never fully discredited. -- The Merriam-Webster Encyclopedia of Literature --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Elmer-Gantry-Signet-Classics-Sinclair/dp/0451530756/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1290077016&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: Elmer Gantry (Signet Classics) (9780451530752): Sinclair Lewis, Jason Stevens: Books: Reviews, Prices & more[/ame]

Carrie Lukas' book might be worth reading, JB.

From the Back Cover:

We’ve been duped.

We were raised to think we could have it all. In college we were told that men weren’t necessary. Pop culture told us that career—not family—came first. The idea of being a stay-at-home mom was for losers. And yet are we happier than our mothers or grandmothers, who grew up before women were "liberated" by the sexual revolution? For many women, the answer is no. In The Politically Incorrect Guide™ to Women, Sex, and Feminism, Carrie Lukas, a young career woman and new mother, sets the record straight: correcting the lies women have been told and slamming the door on the screaming harpies of NOW, feminist professors, and the rest of the bra-burners who have done so much to wreck women’s lives.

Bet your feminist teacher never told you:

* Women’s lib has "liberated" men from having to commit, "freed" women from marriage, and often "unshackled" women from having a family. * More than ever, women in their twenties and thirties live alone, are discarded by boyfriends after "living together," and are watching their biological clocks tick past the point of no return. * Women still prefer men who are breadwinners and can protect them physically.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Politically-Incorrect-Guide-Women-Feminism/dp/1596980036/]Amazon.com: The Politically Incorrect Guide to Women, Sex And Feminism (9781596980037): Carrie L. Lukas: Books: Reviews, Prices & more[/ame]

I do appreciate your dedication to my continuing growth. I'll tell you what. I'll read it, if you agree to read one of the following:

ruth.gif

Womens_Room_M_French.jpg

femminine%20mytique.jpg

Lemme know if you are interested, and if so, which book you chose.....I'll re-read it too. I haven't cruised the feminist lit aisle much lately.

But I warn you ahead of time...these sorts of books do not bring out my kinder, gentler side.

• Banned
Read Feminine Mystique a long time ago.

Carrie Lukas also recommends it.

Betty Friedan's book doesn't support your bizarre conception of feminism.

Read Feminine Mystique a long time ago.

Carrie Lukas also recommends it.

Betty Friedan's book doesn't support your bizarre conception of feminism.

I was 12 the last time I read "The Feminine Mystique", JB. Is that your choice, and do we have a deal?

It's an easier read than the other two..."The Second Sex" especially is heavy lifting.

• Banned
We can do that. Lukas also recommends

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Taking-Differences-Seriously-Steven-Rhoads/dp/1893554937]Amazon.com: Taking Sex Differences Seriously (9781893554931): Steven E. Rhoads: Books[/ame]

JB, I cannot add to my "must read" list more'n this. I have to order "The Feminine Mystique"; Lukas' book should be more readily available. Let's say we agree to have the books completed by Dec 31st and to discuss them in January?

Or did you want to go chapter by chapter?

Carrie Lukas' book might be worth reading, JB.

From the Back Cover:

We’ve been duped.

We were raised to think we could have it all. In college we were told that men weren’t necessary. Pop culture told us that career—not family—came first. The idea of being a stay-at-home mom was for losers. And yet are we happier than our mothers or grandmothers, who grew up before women were "liberated" by the sexual revolution? For many women, the answer is no. In The Politically Incorrect Guide™ to Women, Sex, and Feminism, Carrie Lukas, a young career woman and new mother, sets the record straight: correcting the lies women have been told and slamming the door on the screaming harpies of NOW, feminist professors, and the rest of the bra-burners who have done so much to wreck women’s lives.

Bet your feminist teacher never told you:

* Women’s lib has "liberated" men from having to commit, "freed" women from marriage, and often "unshackled" women from having a family. * More than ever, women in their twenties and thirties live alone, are discarded by boyfriends after "living together," and are watching their biological clocks tick past the point of no return. * Women still prefer men who are breadwinners and can protect them physically.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Politically-Incorrect-Guide-Women-Feminism/dp/1596980036/]Amazon.com: The Politically Incorrect Guide to Women, Sex And Feminism (9781596980037): Carrie L. Lukas: Books: Reviews, Prices & more[/ame]

I do appreciate your dedication to my continuing growth. I'll tell you what. I'll read it, if you agree to read one of the following:

ruth.gif

Womens_Room_M_French.jpg

femminine%20mytique.jpg

Lemme know if you are interested, and if so, which book you chose.....I'll re-read it too. I haven't cruised the feminist lit aisle much lately.

But I warn you ahead of time...these sorts of books do not bring out my kinder, gentler side.

The Feminine Mystique is kind of out-dated. Equality has become a reality. The book was geared toward a time when women were relegated to a life of child-bearing and that of a subservient housewife. It was groundbreaking when published but those days are thankfully long gone.

Mudwhistle wrote:

The Feminine Mystique is kind of out-dated. Equality has become a reality. The book was geared toward a time when women were relegated to a life of child-bearing and that of a subservient housewife. It was groundbreaking when published but those days are thankfully long gone.

Gender equality is not a reality, mudwhistle, though strides have been made. As for the suffering of "subservient housewives", since we still have women who spend part of their lives as stay at home moms, and far more who seem to think they'd like to, the book still has relevance.

Mudwhistle wrote:

Gender equality is not a reality, mudwhistle, though strides have been made. As for the suffering of "subservient housewives", since we still have women who spend part of their lives as stay at home moms, and far more who seem to think they'd like to, the book still has relevance.

Only if someone feels trapped. But then again being trapped in a bad job can feel the same way at times.

In some respects women have it better then men. One example is the current haircut policies in the military. Another is the fact that female journalists are allowed to enter male locker rooms after games but males are not allowed to do the same. There are several other examples.

Where I work a woman is the head honcho. She makes the same as the male that preceeded her. You might be able to site statistics that show women make less overall but that doesn't take into consideration that women haven't been a part of the work force as long as men. Give it time. It will soon even out. I also believe on average men enter the workforce sooner then women. More women attend universities then men.

Yes...the book has relevance...but not to the level it had when published.

I agree and personally, I was hoping JB would choose "The Women's Room". But IMO, the one that best stands the test of time and gets to the nitty-gritty philosophical issues of gender equality is "The Second Sex". It's just so fucking deep and
l-o-n-g...I'm not sure I'd be up for reading that tome twice.

Amazon.com Review:

In The Second Sex, Simone de Beauvoir posed questions many men, and women, had yet to ponder when the book was released in 1953. "One wonders if women still exist, if they will always exist, whether or not it is desirable that they should ...," she says in this comprehensive treatise on women. She weaves together history, philosophy, economics, biology, and a host of other disciplines to show women's place in the world and to postulate on the power of sexuality. This is a powerful piece of writing in a time before "feminism" was even a phrase, much less a movement. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Second-Sex-Simone-Beauvoir/dp/1439571678/ref=tmm_hrd_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1290077437&sr=1-1]Amazon.com: The Second Sex (9781439571675): Simone de Beauvoir, H. M. Parshley: Books[/ame]

Atlas Shrugged ...Written by the greatest feminist of all time...I recommend it to all liberal/progressive members...It is a little deep, but if you work real hard(I know that is an oxymoron for libs), then you may come away realizing what is right and wrong in the world :)

To all the Obama Worshippers:

boedicca-albums-boedicca-s-stuff-picture2691-51abeq048dl-sl500-aa300.jpg

Sorry, kids, Nov. 2nd is twoo.

Forum List

Back