Recipe for garbage stew

Mr.Fitnah

Dreamcrusher
Jul 14, 2009
Paradise.
There'll be nowhere to run from the new world government
'Global' thinking won't necessarily solve the world's problems, says Janet Daley

There is scope for debate – and innumerable newspaper quizzes – about who was the most influential public figure of the year, or which the most significant event. But there can be little doubt which word won the prize for most important adjective. 2009 was the year in which "global" swept the rest of the political lexicon into obscurity. There were "global crises" and "global challenges", the only possible resolution to which lay in "global solutions" necessitating "global agreements". Gordon Brown actually suggested something called a "global alliance" in response to climate change. (Would this be an alliance against the Axis of Extra-Terrestrials?)

snip

The word "global" has taken on sacred connotations. Any action taken in its name must be inherently virtuous, whereas the decisions of individual countries are necessarily "narrow" and self-serving. (Never mind that a "global agreement" will almost certainly be disproportionately influenced by the most powerful nations.) Nor is our era so utterly unlike previous ones, for all its technological sophistication. We have always needed multilateral agreements, whether about trade, organised crime, border controls, or mutual defence.
If the impact of our behaviour on humanity at large is much greater or more rapid than ever before then we shall have to find ways of dealing with that which do not involve sacrificing the most enlightened form of government ever devised. There is a whiff of totalitarianism about this new theology, in which the risks are described in such cosmic terms that everything else must give way. "Globalism" is another form of the internationalism that has been a core belief of the Left: a commitment to class rather than country seemed an admirable antidote to the "blood and soil" nationalism that gave rise to fascism.
The nation-state has never quite recovered from the bad name it acquired in the last century as the progenitor of world war. But if it is to be relegated to the dustbin of history then we had better come up with new mechanisms for allowing people to have a say in how they are governed. Maybe that could be next year's global challenge.

A hint of sanity that is coming far to late from the MSM

There'll be nowhere to run from the new world government - Telegraph

Thank you for clearly demonstrating your "value" as a "US message board member" in such a concise post.

Thank you for clearly demonstrating your "value" as a "US message board member" in such a concise post.

You're more than welcome.

You can also thank me for being the only person to respond do your "pointless" thread.

I thought the point was to get no views and no replies ?
OR to open a thread and have it populated by all poster on your ignore list.
Im new to your big interweb.

I thought the point was to get no views and no replies ?
OR to open a thread and have it populated by all poster on your ignore list.
Im new to your big interweb.

FAIL.

Either I am not on your Ignore List, or you don't know how to add someone to your Ignore List.

But I'll keep bumping your thread for you until someone else decides to join in.

Forum List

Back