Recession

froggy

Gold Member
Aug 18, 2009
What has this recession cost you? Have you lost from it, have you gained? have you made temporary changes to your lifestyle that will be permanent?

It has not affected us but some family and friends have had a go of it. I especially hate the fact our youth have a harder time finding living wage productive jobs. Many today live at home, and another change is sharing expenses or the costs of living. That may change society going forward, actually more personal freedom has done that already, but economics is always a big motivator.

I found this book interesting, not relevant to recession but relevant to the way we live. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Joyless-Economy-Psychology-Human-Satisfaction/dp/0195073479/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8]Amazon.com: The Joyless Economy: The Psychology of Human Satisfaction (9780195073478): Tibor Scitovsky: Books[/ame]

2 of my kidz lost their homes. I figure the third one will in a year or so.
His pay was cut by 60%.
I gave them ultimatums in 2003. I told them a freight train was coming, sell out and get out.
They thought I was just another nutcase conspiracy follower.
Now they regret it........bigtime.

I'm here to tell you guys, you aint seen nuthin yet.
"Their" movie is far from over. You'll look back and remember prosperous times in 2009 !

My B.I.L. worked at GM. He was warned by El Loco too............so he took a second mortgage, bought 2 new cars, and remodeled the house. He hung himself a few years ago.

Last edited:
What has this recession cost you? Have you lost from it, have you gained? have you made temporary changes to your lifestyle that will be permanent?

Back in '05 I sold my house and in the summer of '07 I took my sweet time to move across the country - literally across - from Seattle to South Florida. I explored the east coast until the fall of 08 when I picked the community I now call home. I blame the Bush recession for giving me my record longest search for a job - I compiled my resume in September, took 3 bullshit jobs along the way to cover some bills and give me a local work history and landed my current career step in April of '09. I just celebrated my first anniversary with a pretty nice raise.

I can't tell you what the recession has cost me as I put my own life in flux as it was starting. Any gains I will realize at a later date, assuming the cheap stocks I'm buying now are in companies that will survive. I'm also looking at houses which are starting to sell once again but at reasonable prices.

BIG changes in my life, but nothing I didn't put into motion myself. The recession just made me glad that I'm a flexible guy who is willing to sweat when it's necessary.

To me, there is little more stupid than a man who refuses to work because he can't find a job that matches his last union salary.

Back in '05 I sold my house and in the summer of '07 I took my sweet time to move across the country - literally across - from Seattle to South Florida. I explored the east coast until the fall of 08 when I picked the community I now call home. I blame the Bush recession for giving me my record longest search for a job - I compiled my resume in September, took 3 bullshit jobs along the way to cover some bills and give me a local work history and landed my current career step in April of '09. I just celebrated my first anniversary with a pretty nice raise.

I can't tell you what the recession has cost me as I put my own life in flux as it was starting. Any gains I will realize at a later date, assuming the cheap stocks I'm buying now are in companies that will survive. I'm also looking at houses which are starting to sell once again but at reasonable prices.

BIG changes in my life, but nothing I didn't put into motion myself. The recession just made me glad that I'm a flexible guy who is willing to sweat when it's necessary.

To me, there is little more stupid than a man who refuses to work because he can't find a job that matches his last union salary.

Being flexible, i think is what it takes to survive anything.

I've gained from it. My portfolio is higher and I purchased a beautiful piece of land by the ocean at a fire sale price from a bank blowing out its foreclosed inventory.

Forum List

Back