Rebecca

Sep 12, 2008
One of the really great stories of all time.

Too bad Hitchcock had to pull his punches, and Fontaine was just to glam for the role.

But the book was terrific.

I am trying to find where I can get a copy of a version the BBC did in the late 70's with a really good actress in the lead role. Best adaptation of the book I ever saw.

I looked on Amazon. I guess they have made too many remakes. I can't find it.
I got a copy of I Claudius a few years ago, but it was so horrible that I sent it to Goodwill. That was a great show, and they did a great job (The guy who was Sejanus has always been typecast in that role for me, even though he moved on to better things)
sejanus-734380.jpg

Also really good that year was Anna Karenina.

Librarian tender may I have a pint of Coopers and some Voltaire. And can you hold some Hunter S. Thompson for latter in the evening when I am really off my rails?

I think that is the one.

As I recall, they had a really good season that year, I Claudius, then Anna Karenina, then Rebecca, and then splat, a really horrible version of Crime and Punishment.

Anna Karenina is available on Amazon.

The lady who was Mrs. Danvers has been keeping busy.

The lady who did Mrs De Winter has been busy too. Looks like she got a bunch of really good roles for things that I must not have got over here. She got the love interest in "First among Equals"

DeMaurier had a really good sense of pacing. And really good characterization. Mrs Van Hopper is was a great way to start the book.

It is interesting we never hear the protagonist's name. And the exposition at the beginning... Who is she talking to? It doesn't sound like it is Max. At the end of the thing is she yet another Mrs Van Hopper with a mousy companion in the south of France?

After reading all the mail on IMDB of people wanting the 1979 TV version of "Rebecca", and after searching in vain for a copy for my wife, I e-mailed the BBC to see if it has/will ever be released. I received an answer today saying they are "Currently unaware of any plans to release this programme. However, if you would like to make a suggestion for its release, I would suggest you put it in writing to BBC Worldwide who are responsible for the commercial release of all BBC products."
Please write to:

Commissioning Editor
BBC Worldwide Ltd
Woodlands
80 Wood Lane
London
W12 0TT
England

Forum List

Back