Reasons Why Canadians Are Way Cooler than Americans

hwy4n6.jpg

`Cause dey's mayor's a lardbutt crackhead...
:tongue:
Canada abuzz over purported crack video of mayor
May 17,`13 -- A video purportedly of Toronto's mayor smoking crack has caused an uproar in Canada.
The video has not been released publicly and there is no way to verify whether it is authentic. Reports by gossip website Gawker and The Toronto Star said it was taken by a man who claimed he had sold crack to Mayor Rob Ford. Ford said when he emerged from his house on Friday that the allegations are "ridiculous." He later made similar comments twice outside his office, but also added that it was "another story with respect to the Toronto Star going after me." A lawyer for Ford didn't respond to messages seeking comment. Toronto police spokesman Mark Pugash said investigators were "monitoring the situation closely." The Star said two reporters watched a video that appears to show Ford, sitting in a chair, inhaling from what appears to be a glass crack pipe. The Star said it did not obtain the video or pay to watch it.

The Star also alleges Ford made an anti-gay slur against federal Liberal leader Justin Trudeau. Ford later appeared Friday at a previously scheduled ceremony marking International Day Against Homophobia. The mayor of Canada's largest city has been embroiled in constant controversies about his behavior since being elected in 2010, but these are the most serious allegations he's faced yet. He has been accused of flouting conflict of interest rules and making obscene gestures at residents from his car, and has had high-profile shouting altercations with a Toronto Transit worker as well as a Toronto Star reporter. The Star also reported earlier this year that he was asked to leave a gala fundraiser for wounded Canadian soldiers because he appeared intoxicated.

Ford, a right-wing city councilor for years, promised to end wasteful spending at city hall when he became mayor, tapping into a well of voter anger with his "stop the gravy train" message. Ford also said Toronto would be better off if it didn't accept more immigrants. Half of Toronto's population was born outside Canada. Toronto deputy mayor Doug Holyday questioned the authenticity of the video, saying "video can be altered" and "drug dealers can't be trusted." Holyday said he has not spoken to Ford or his staff since the allegations surfaced, but noted he still believes in the mayor "at this point." "I'm not sure who is behind this. I wouldn't want my career or my credibility resting on the word of drug dealers," Holyday said.

Councilor Adam Vaughan, a frequent opponent, called Ford a "bad mayor" and said the city council has been working around his controversies since the day he was elected. Vaughan said Toronto needs a full-time mayor going forward. The controversy drew comparisons to the 1990 arrest of then-Washington Mayor Marion Barry, who was videotaped smoking crack cocaine in a hotel room during an FBI sting operation. He served six months in federal prison on a misdemeanor drug possession conviction and was elected again to the D.C. Council in 1992. Barry won a fourth term as mayor in 1994. He returned to the council in 2004 and continues to represent one of the city's poorest wards.

Source

It's because of the authentic maple syrup. Don't you dare deny it. :tongue:

If you're so great, how come you say "eh" all the time?
If you're so great, how come [or, "why do"] you say "huh" all the time?

Not to mention, ..."like" ... "like" ... "like" ... "like" ... "like" ... "like" .............

· · · · :D

Last edited:
We do say "eh" all the time.

We also allow gay marriage, abortion is available on demand, prescription drugs are cheaper and we spend half of what Americans spend on healthcare.

But when it comes to outsourcing jobs, Canadians punish corporations who ship jobs overseas.

Last but not least. If a Canadian politician wrecked the economy the way W did, Canadians would have punished the Republican Party by destroying it - like they did to the PC party of Brian
Mulroney after he introduced the GST.

Mulroney went from a solid majority to 4 seats and lost official party status and no longer exists at all. The same thing nearly happened to the Liberals after the sponsorship scandal.

Fear of voters is what keeps Harper in line and from messing with health care. Americans could learn from that.

There are many reasons why Canada is cooler than the United States.

However, the main reason is biggest it's further north than America, thus experiencing moderately warm summers and intensely cold winters.

There are many reasons why Canada is cooler than the United States.

However, the main reason is biggest it's further north than America, thus experiencing moderately warm summers and intensely cold winters.

I believe Canada is actually IN America.

When the Blue Jays won their first world series I heard a radio station refer to them as the first "non-American" team to win it. They heard from me, they did.

Merkins sure are insecure, ain't dey?

US has loons but Canada values Loonies.

not 2 mention in no particular order...
Tim Horton's
Cape Breton music
PEI potatoes
Quebecois culture
Bay of Fundy
WAY better radio
Way safer
health care
.... oh, and a cooler national anthem.

Note to Pop:
"USA! USA!" is not helping your case; it's making the opposite.
-- or was that what you meant? If so, bravo.

Hey! You're the douchebag from Costa Rica that got banned! Thought I recognized your style.

I Canada is so cool then please feel free to pack your bags and get the hell out of the US! Had some friends back during the days of the draft that headed north. They stayed, became Canadian citizens, and return to the US for health care.

I Canada is so cool then please feel free to pack your bags and get the hell out of the US! Had some friends back during the days of the draft that headed north. They stayed, became Canadian citizens, and return to the US for health care.

People don't return to the US for health care. When health care which is on a par with the US is available as part of your taxes, you stay at home and get your health care here.

Americans are being fed a myth that Canadians go to the US for health care but the facts just don't support the idea. A lot of Americans who went to school in Canada sneak across the border with their old Canadian health cards to access cheap Canadian health care. Even Sarah Palin admits her family did that.

If only it were that simple...

Several years ago a client tossed me an assignment in Québec. It was gonna be the first time I ever entered Canada by plane (all the previous times were by car or canoe). So I get to the airport and they wouldn't board me because my documentation wasn't sufficient; this was well before 9/11 and you didn't officially need a passport, but they wanted a passport or a birth certificate. Not having the former I had to spend the day getting my mother to dig up my BC and go find a place to fax it so I could get a later flight and finally got to Montréal at midnight....

Once there American Airlines admitted that they didn't need the documentation to get me IN -- they needed it to get me BACK. :eusa_doh: Why didn't they just tell me that in the first place!? I could have saved the price of a fax. :banghead:

But hey if you know a way in, I"d be happy to endure universal health care, a rich diverse culture, decent public broadcasting, an international reputation for not swaggering around acting like too-much-coffee cop and snooping on everything, and a society that doesn't walk around packing guns constantly bent on the blowing of each other up. Deal me in.

Or I could just take the canoe. Doesn't carry much though.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back