Reasonable or Necessary use of deadly force?

SavannahMann

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2016
The claim from the police is that a proposed change to California law will result in dead cops. The change that threatens to allow criminals to kill cops at will? Changing the standards for use of force from reasonable to necessary. In other words the police officer could no longer get away with killing unarmed people by merely saying “I was afeared for my life” as the unarmed baddie runs away.

Fatal police shootings could become a crime under proposed California law

The standards for police use of force in California are pretty much the same as in Texas. The most liberal and conservative states share this awful similarity.

If we are to accept that the killing of another person is the most extreme action one can take, then shouldn’t we put the reasonable limit on it to insure it is the last resort and it was really necessary? The officer should have to justify his actions. And the magic words should not be a get out of jail free card.

One of the opponents, a former CHP officer who is in the state senate said that it would require cops to think before they react and that delay would cost lives. The lack of the delay is costing lives. Only they are lives that don’t matter to cops. They’re the lives of the victims of their unwillingness to think before killing someone.

California is only interested in becoming a Mad Max land.

I think this is a change that is needed nationally. Let’s be honest. There are far too many shootings where the baddie is unarmed, and the cop says he thought he was in fear of his life, and all is good to go. Half of Georgia’s shootings, which has the same standard as California, were of unarmed people, or shot in the back. In pretty much every single one of the shootings, the cop was exonerated because he said the magic words, I was afeared for my life.

Half. Think about that for a moment. Half. California has more police shootings per capita, than just about any other state. God alone knows what the big picture is, but we know a fair amount of them were unarmed, which is why this legislation is even being considered.

For years I’ve been saying that this system is unsustainable, it can’t last, and the Police could either lead the movement for change, or be swept up by it. It seems that the police feel that being swamped is way better than leading the charge for change.

My other prediction was that the call for reform would go a lot farther than what was really needed, and this is the canary in the coal mine. It is going to get a lot worse, nationally, for the cops, because they would not even consider changing anything.

I think this is a change that is needed nationally. Let’s be honest. There are far too many shootings where the baddie is unarmed, and the cop says he thought he was in fear of his life, and all is good to go. Half of Georgia’s shootings, which has the same standard as California, were of unarmed people, or shot in the back. In pretty much every single one of the shootings, the cop was exonerated because he said the magic words, I was afeared for my life.

Half. Think about that for a moment. Half. California has more police shootings per capita, than just about any other state. God alone knows what the big picture is, but we know a fair amount of them were unarmed, which is why this legislation is even being considered.

For years I’ve been saying that this system is unsustainable, it can’t last, and the Police could either lead the movement for change, or be swept up by it. It seems that the police feel that being swamped is way better than leading the charge for change.

My other prediction was that the call for reform would go a lot farther than what was really needed, and this is the canary in the coal mine. It is going to get a lot worse, nationally, for the cops, because they would not even consider changing anything.
Shit do like they do in Chicago, where the police dont go into certain neighborhoods and let each other shoot each other dead. After a while the population is so reduced that then civility could come back in..

Stop reading Leftard websites and go on a ride-along with a cop for a day.

This is exactly how it’s suppose to work. One state adopts a new way, like California changing how cops get to shoot people, and then we all watch and see how it works. If it proves to be successful then other states can adopt it. If it fails then California can stop. We need states making decisions, not Washington DC.

The claim from the police is that a proposed change to California law will result in dead cops. The change that threatens to allow criminals to kill cops at will? Changing the standards for use of force from reasonable to necessary. In other words the police officer could no longer get away with killing unarmed people by merely saying “I was afeared for my life” as the unarmed baddie runs away.

The standards for police use of force in California are pretty much the same as in Texas. The most liberal and conservative states share this awful similarity.

If we are to accept that the killing of another person is the most extreme action one can take, then shouldn’t we put the reasonable limit on it to insure it is the last resort and it was really necessary? The officer should have to justify his actions. And the magic words should not be a get out of jail free card.

One of the opponents, a former CHP officer who is in the state senate said that it would require cops to think before they react and that delay would cost lives. The lack of the delay is costing lives. Only they are lives that don’t matter to cops. They’re the lives of the victims of their unwillingness to think before killing someone.

It is so simple, the only ones afraid of getting shot by cops are the ones who do evil....

Romans 13:3

For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended.

Really? A ride along would cure me of all of this? How could it possibly be worse than growing up in a gang central neighborhood in Los Angeles. I have a scar on my arm that was put there by a fellow with a knife. Every single one of my fingers was broken from fighting. I have scars on my face from where I had my cheeks split open in fights. My nose has been broken three times. And all of that was before I left High School.

How could a ride along teach me more than growing up like that? I’m honestly curious.

How could a ride along show me more than when I was walking down an alleyway towards my house and was stopped by a cop who pulled his gun on me suspecting me of burglary. While wearing a letterman’s jacket? How could that possibly show me more than turning a corner to visit a friend at his apartment complex and walking into a twelve gauge shotgun barrel. When the cops threatened to blow my head off, for walking, to visit a friend.

How exactly is this ridealong supposed to show me more than when my car was searched for overheating near a drug neighborhood? Or when I was at the Huntington Beach Pier where the police escalated a fight to a full blown riot? Or when I was in the Army and the cop, furious because I tricked him into thinking I was drunk when I hadn’t had a drink, lost his quota of drunks, smacked me around with his nightstick?

I have a lot of experience. The only crime I’ve ever been convicted except for three speeding tickets and one accident was an “infraction”, not even a misdemeanor. Dirt bike on the street without a motor cycle license. For crossing the road where we had been riding, to where we had parked our trucks at a friends house.

I’ve never even been arrested for a misdemeanor nor a felony. So tell me why so many cops have pulled guns on me for no reason? Walking down an alley towards my house.

Really? A ride along would cure me of all of this? How could it possibly be worse than growing up in a gang central neighborhood in Los Angeles. I have a scar on my arm that was put there by a fellow with a knife. Every single one of my fingers was broken from fighting. I have scars on my face from where I had my cheeks split open in fights. My nose has been broken three times. And all of that was before I left High School.

How could a ride along teach me more than growing up like that? I’m honestly curious.

How could a ride along show me more than when I was walking down an alleyway towards my house and was stopped by a cop who pulled his gun on me suspecting me of burglary. While wearing a letterman’s jacket? How could that possibly show me more than turning a corner to visit a friend at his apartment complex and walking into a twelve gauge shotgun barrel. When the cops threatened to blow my head off, for walking, to visit a friend.

How exactly is this ridealong supposed to show me more than when my car was searched for overheating near a drug neighborhood? Or when I was at the Huntington Beach Pier where the police escalated a fight to a full blown riot? Or when I was in the Army and the cop, furious because I tricked him into thinking I was drunk when I hadn’t had a drink, lost his quota of drunks, smacked me around with his nightstick?

I have a lot of experience. The only crime I’ve ever been convicted except for three speeding tickets and one accident was an “infraction”, not even a misdemeanor. Dirt bike on the street without a motor cycle license. For crossing the road where we had been riding, to where we had parked our trucks at a friends house.

I’ve never even been arrested for a misdemeanor nor a felony. So tell me why so many cops have pulled guns on me for no reason? Walking down an alley towards my house.
Could it be that you go out of your way to put yourself in a situation that others constantly avoid? When I was walking in Cincinnati at night after a Reds Ball Game, there are areas that you shouldn't be at. Why is that?

Could it be that you go out of your way to put yourself in a situation that others constantly avoid? When I was walking in Cincinnati at night after a Reds Ball Game, there are areas that you shouldn't be at. Why is that?

Walking home? Walking home via the shortest route? Going to visit a friend?

I was at Huntington Beach when the riot broke out. Watching a surfing competition. How exactly was that putting myself into a bad situation? Are you saying that sporting events are now so dangerous that the police must act stupid? Then again, they may not be acting.

But let’s take the first one I mentioned. Walking home down an alley. Let’s say for the sake of argument that I was a burglar. A fifteen year old Burglar. Wearing a letterman’s jacket. Burglary tends to be a non violent crime. Even if I was a Burglar, why would the cop need to initiate the stop by pulling his pistol? Are Fifteen Year old Burglars the baddies that the cops are terrified of? I wasn’t a burglar. Not even close. But even if you give the cop the benefit of the doubt, which is bullshit, because after he got my name, and where I was headed, and where I had come from, he didn’t check with anyone. He just turned me loose. So I was such a dangerous suspect that he had to pull his Beretta Pistol on me, but he was psychic or something, and knew I wasn’t his dangerous suspect five minutes later.

The problem is in who becomes cops. These are not sheepdogs who are determined to protect the flock. These are adults who were bullied in high school, and it affected them deeply.

Let’s go to my entry of the Apartment Complex. I rode there on a skateboard. Kicked the board up and carried it into the apartment complex. They didn’t want people riding inside the complex, and I was going with their rules. I walked out of a hallway and right into a cop with a shotgun pointed at me. They were there supposedly searching for someone they had a warrant for. But under what circumstance can you imagine firing a shotgun in an apartment complex built in the 1970’s? Seriously, take a moment and think about that. There is no way the pellets would go just where you wanted. Those pellets would have wounded or killed people in any adjacent apartment. Unless ballistics is a lot different than my four decades of experience would indicate.

It was dumb to be pointing that shotgun at a teenager coming around the corner. It was dumb to bring the Shotgun in the first place. He just wanted the scare effect in the hopes that someone would fear him, if not respect him.

If you want to know why some communities view the cops as the enemies, then look at how the cops are acting.

You’re right. You’re incapable of learning. You just wallow in lies and hate.

So if I hadn’t grown up in a neighborhood where cops used excessive force for everything, I might be more easily duped?

So if I hadn’t grown up in a neighborhood where cops used excessive force for everything, I might be more easily duped?
You validate the Left are clueless and ignorant.

Indeed. A man was just shot in Philadelphia by police. His crime? Jaywalking in stopped traffic and panhandling. The police officer just shot him through the closed window of his car. Now, even if you use the reasonable standard for your shootings, in what situation would it be reasonable to shoot a man begging for money?

Police plant evidence, and get no punishment. What part of that is a lie? A survey of Judges, and Lawyers, said that they believe the police lie in 3 cases out of five. So which three cases out of five at your local courthouse has the police lying?

What changes have I ever proposed. Find a post by me, ever, where I said that the police should be abolished. I said there should be changes, to come as close as possible to get rid of cops who lie, plant evidence, abuse people, and steal. Why is it that the only choice we are given by the Cop Supporters is anarchy, or corrupt police?

Indeed. A man was just shot in Philadelphia by police. His crime? Jaywalking in stopped traffic and panhandling. The police officer just shot him through the closed window of his car. Now, even if you use the reasonable standard for your shootings, in what situation would it be reasonable to shoot a man begging for money?

Police plant evidence, and get no punishment. What part of that is a lie? A survey of Judges, and Lawyers, said that they believe the police lie in 3 cases out of five. So which three cases out of five at your local courthouse has the police lying?

What changes have I ever proposed. Find a post by me, ever, where I said that the police should be abolished. I said there should be changes, to come as close as possible to get rid of cops who lie, plant evidence, abuse people, and steal. Why is it that the only choice we are given by the Cop Supporters is anarchy, or corrupt police?
Is that why you screech for MORE government, because the government is going around shooting innocent people?

Is that why you screech for MORE government, because the government is going around shooting innocent people?

Find a post, any post, where I said we needed more government in any way, shape, or form. I have advocated for nuclear power. But I have never, not once, said we needed more of any government office. I have always advocated for Civil Rights, or Liberties if you prefer. How many times have you accused people of anting more government? Odd. It seems to come out either very early in your screed, or later when your point has been defeated.

I was going to say one thing but maybe not.

I didn’t read the law yet but maybe we shouldn’t have cops hauling people into jail for things they could just give them a ticket and the person has to appear in court. If they don’t show up then the cops can forcibly arrest them but not until it gets that far. Until then the cop can just give the ticket and defuse the situation.

I was wrongfully arrested. Had to go get fingerprints and bailed out. Then I took it to trial and they dismissed the case. There was no reason I had to be arrested.

But, the reason I came here was to ask why kids in school aren’t taught what to do when a cop says put your hands behind your back? Why does it seem unclear? To me you do what the officer says or else whatever happens next is on you.

Forum List

Back