Reasonable or Necessary use of deadly force?

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by SavannahMann, May 22, 2019.

1. SavannahMann

SavannahMann Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,906
    The claim from the police is that a proposed change to California law will result in dead cops. The change that threatens to allow criminals to kill cops at will? Changing the standards for use of force from reasonable to necessary. In other words the police officer could no longer get away with killing unarmed people by merely saying “I was afeared for my life” as the unarmed baddie runs away.

Fatal police shootings could become a crime under proposed California law

The standards for police use of force in California are pretty much the same as in Texas. The most liberal and conservative states share this awful similarity.

If we are to accept that the killing of another person is the most extreme action one can take, then shouldn’t we put the reasonable limit on it to insure it is the last resort and it was really necessary? The officer should have to justify his actions. And the magic words should not be a get out of jail free card.

One of the opponents, a former CHP officer who is in the state senate said that it would require cops to think before they react and that delay would cost lives. The lack of the delay is costing lives. Only they are lives that don’t matter to cops. They’re the lives of the victims of their unwillingness to think before killing someone.

2. Billy_Kinetta

Billy_Kinetta Paladin of the Lost Hour Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +50,275
    Who in their right mind would be a LEO in this time?

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Likkmee

Likkmee Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,450
    Control freaks. Like always......

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Weatherman2020

Weatherman2020 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62,140
    California is only interested in becoming a Mad Max land.

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
  5. SavannahMann

SavannahMann Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,906
    I think this is a change that is needed nationally. Let’s be honest. There are far too many shootings where the baddie is unarmed, and the cop says he thought he was in fear of his life, and all is good to go. Half of Georgia’s shootings, which has the same standard as California, were of unarmed people, or shot in the back. In pretty much every single one of the shootings, the cop was exonerated because he said the magic words, I was afeared for my life.

Half. Think about that for a moment. Half. California has more police shootings per capita, than just about any other state. God alone knows what the big picture is, but we know a fair amount of them were unarmed, which is why this legislation is even being considered.

For years I’ve been saying that this system is unsustainable, it can’t last, and the Police could either lead the movement for change, or be swept up by it. It seems that the police feel that being swamped is way better than leading the charge for change.

My other prediction was that the call for reform would go a lot farther than what was really needed, and this is the canary in the coal mine. It is going to get a lot worse, nationally, for the cops, because they would not even consider changing anything.

6. andaronjim

andaronjim Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,151
    Shit do like they do in Chicago, where the police dont go into certain neighborhoods and let each other shoot each other dead. After a while the population is so reduced that then civility could come back in..

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Weatherman2020

Weatherman2020 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62,140
    Stop reading Leftard websites and go on a ride-along with a cop for a day.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. BuckToothMoron

BuckToothMoron Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,950
    This is exactly how it’s suppose to work. One state adopts a new way, like California changing how cops get to shoot people, and then we all watch and see how it works. If it proves to be successful then other states can adopt it. If it fails then California can stop. We need states making decisions, not Washington DC.

9. night_son

night_son Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,330
    Someone's got to do it. Anyone spare a nutcracker?

10. bear513

bear513 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36,705

It is so simple, the only ones afraid of getting shot by cops are the ones who do evil....

Romans 13:3

For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended.