Reasonable gun control

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Inthemiddle, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Inthemiddle

Inthemiddle BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +674
    This idea of "reasonable" gun control has been floating around alot lately, in the media, the public discourse, and on this board as well. Largely, it is being offered as an alternative to a complete ban on all firearms, almost in a compromising spirit. I, for one, am perfectly willing to consider "reasonable" gun control. But I'd like to know more details about what "reasonable" gun control would look like. In order to get the discussion kicked off, I'd like to offer a few items that I feel a "reasonable" gun control policy would not include:

No band on semiautomatic pistols or rifles

Semiautomatic weaponry is not the evil technology that some uninformed people sometimes think it is. It's pretty much standard stuff, nothing more. It's a vital element of safety. It is the most safe technology for a novice to learn how to operate a firearm and for him to carry. It is important for effective self defense.

No ban on high capacity magazines

As demonstrated in the thread about the intruder who was shot six times by still was able to get up and walk away, round capacity can be very important for self defense. Not only that, but attempts to limit magazine capacity are superficial solutions at best. It's not difficult to change a magazine, and any bad guy who intends to wreak havoc with a fire arm can easily obtain more magazines anyway. Since there is no actual benefit that can be derived, but actual harm that can result, a reasonable gun control policy must reject such a proposal.

No restrictions based on aesthetics/cosmetics (including pistol grips, telescoping/collapsible rifle stocks)

This should be easy. The way a gun looks on the outside obviously has nothing to do with public safety. Therefore, any restriction based on the way a gun looks is outright silly and should be rejected immediately.

That's it. Nothing much, just some basic and common sense stuff. I'd now like to hear people's proposals for what we could or should ban in order to keep the public safe. Please, be specific. Also, I have taken the time to give explicit reasons for each of my points above, and why those things cannot be part of any "reasonable" gun control policy. So please make sure to give your own reasons for each thing that you feel a gun control policy should restrict. Please also remember to explain how any policy points will actually accomplish the stated goal.

I look forward to a productive discussion.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Missourian

Missourian Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,124
    Well, you've singlehandedly destroyed the liberal gun agenda.

Good luck with the productive discussion.

How to you reason with folks whose position boils down to "We don't want one, so we don't want you to have one either"?

3. Pheonixops

Pheonixops Proud Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +864
    I agree with the points made by the OP and would add the right to privacy regarding 'gun ownership'. What that newspaper did in New York was and is pretty reprehensible. I think purchasing a legal firearm should have the same simplicity as going to buy a six pack of beer or alcohol.

4. Wry Catcher

Wry Catcher Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,155
    As a counter offer to the OP and in the same spirit I will be happy to negotiate as long as,
    1. Only single shot firearms remain legal, all other be surrendered and distroyed.
    2. No single shot firearm can be shorter than 24 inches.
    3. Only one such firearm can be owned or in the custody and control of any person.
    4. The muzzle velocity can be no greater than 1,000 fps.

Okay, begin.

5. Inthemiddle

Inthemiddle BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +674
    In other words, you don't want reasonable gun control. You simply want to ban things in a reactionary hope that it will accomplish something. You don't offer a single reason why any of those things should be done, and you simply overlook facts that aren't convenient to your desires.

6. Darkwind

Darkwind Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,265
    I agree. In fact, is is better for public safety to purchase a gun than a six pack of beer.

Lets see..alcohol is regulated, but it is still used illicitly AND is responsible for many more deaths than guns.

Hows that working out for us?

7. Darkwind

Darkwind Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,265
    and our final offer is this:

Amend the Constitution if you want any of that. We won't wait up.

8. jtpr312

jtpr312 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +251
    Good luck with that bud. You cannot have a productive discussion with the anti-gunnut liberals on this board or off this board for that matter.

9. westwall

westwall USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,687

Here's my "reasonable gun control", I will follow any law that applies equally to the police and politicians. Whatever they get to carry and possess I do too.

Hows that for you?

10. squeeze berry

squeeze berry Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,459
    No, end.