Realtek NICs and autoconfiguration

Discussion in 'Computers' started by DKSuddeth, Nov 9, 2003.

1. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Does ANYONE know how to disable this stupid 'feature' so I can get it to recognize the DHCP server and accept a workgroup IP address?

2. eric

eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    DK, what version of window are you running?

3. eric

eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    If you are running windows 2000 or windows xp, go to the control panel, double click on Network, right click on the local area connection for the realtek, go down to properties and left click. when the window comes up double click on Tcp/IP and make sure "obtain an IP Address automatically" has the bullet next to it.

If you are still getting an auto config IP, then the DHCP server is not being recognized.

Let me know.

4. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    heres my home network layout.

1) (mine) win2k server. has internal DSL modem and internal NIC (netgear) which connects to 4 port hub. This is shared using MS ICS (therefore DHCP and IP of 192.168.0.1)

2) (wife) win2k server with integrated SIS NIC connected to port on hub and receives IP from my server with no problem.

3) win2k pro station with netgear NIC connected to 10baseT 5 port hub (this connected with connecting CAT5 cable from 4 port 10/100 ethernet hub attached to my (DHCP) server.

4) (kids) win2k pro box I'm trying to put in network so kids can play games on net. I'm trying to use Realtek NIC (PCI) with DHCP and although the 'ipconfig' command shows it to be DHCP enabled it will only use the 'autoconfiguration' IP of 169.254.235.94. This OBVIOUSLY is not going to be recognized on the home network with 192. addresses through DHCP.

I have another NIC (realtek) that is an ISA card but it does the exact same thing. I've tried win98SE as well as XP and still have the same issue with the autoconfiguration.

Short of buying another NIC that is NOT realtek, does anyone have any suggestions and does anyone know if I move away from DHCP and statically assign IP's from my server will they still be able to share internet and network access?

5. eric

eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Static IP's will be fine as long as the subnets are the same: example: 192.168.0.X, one thing you must do though is to hardcode the DNS servers, and the default gateway into the TCP/IP config. Just a Question though, why not use a gateway/router with an external DSL modem. Would reduce a lot of problems plus increase the performance of your system. For the system that is getting the autoconfig can you ping your server, it does not matter if they are on separate subnets. If you can not then either the card, cable, or driver is bad.

6. eric

eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I just realized you are using an ISA card, are there any resource conflicts ?

You can look in the control panel, under system, hardware, device manager.

7. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    whether I'm using the ISA or PCI does not matter, it still has the autoconfig with the same IP. There are zero conflicts on the system with either card.

I'm looking for an external DSL to replace the internal. I have the DSL router ready, just not usable until I have the external modem.

I cannot ping any address on the 192 subnet. Normally I would consider a bad card or cable, however, if I hardwire a 192.168.0.* address into the card I can then see the other 3 machines on the network but not THAT one.

I've got an SMC ISA card thats only a 10Mbps that I'm going to try as well. see what that does.

I'll work on the new video card issue after that.

Thanks for all the input. I'll keep trying and if anyone has other suggestions.....please post them.

8. eric

eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The reason I asked about ISA is many of these cards are legacy and do not use PnP meaning you have to set jumpers for the IRQ's. That is very strange with the ping. Ping's are meant to cross subnets, this is why you can ping any computer on the net. Whereas peering into a workgroup will rely on the subnets.

Have you taken a look at the routing table.

Try typing netstat -r and post the results.

9. eric

eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Another question for you:

If you hardcode the kids machine can you ping IT from the server?

10. eric

eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry I have to ask another question:

Is the Win2K server a domain controller ?