Really?

Nor do I. Id rather have discussion and dialogue. Id rather see more uplifting and edifying discussions.

But I'd hardly blame the athiests alone. Everyone should be respectful.

A true atheist wouldn't see the need to post in this forum.

I always find it fascinating that people say 'I'm an atheist' but they don't define what definition of atheism they ascribe to. Are they implicit atheists or explicit atheists? Do they even know the difference?
Because there isnt a differance
Atheist dont believe in a deity PERIOD
ANYBODY else is either a believer of a agnostic

Define Atheist
a·the·ist
   /ˈeɪθiɪst/ Show Spelled[ey-thee-ist] Show IPA
–noun
a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings.
Use atheist in a Sentence
See images of atheist
Search atheist on the Web
Origin:
1565&#8211;75; < Greek áthe ( os ) godless + -ist

&#8212;Related forms
an·ti·a·the·ist, noun, adjective
pro·a·the·ist, noun, adjective

&#8212;Can be confused: &#8194;agnostic, atheist, deist, theist (see synonym note at the current entry ).

&#8212;Synonyms
Atheist, agnostic, infidel, skeptic refer to persons not inclined toward religious belief or a particular form of religious belief. An atheist is one who denies the existence of a deity or of divine beings. An agnostic is one who believes it impossible to know anything about God or about the creation of the universe and refrains from commitment to any religious doctrine. Infidel means an unbeliever, especially a nonbeliever in Islam or Christianity. A skeptic doubts and is critical of all accepted doctrines and creeds.

Dictionary.com Unabridged
Based on the Random House Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2011.

Last edited:
For a "Religion and Ethics" forum there seems to be so much negativity.

Bashing, belittling, insulting.....

Here's a screen shot of just the first page of threads:

Image1-5.jpg

I don't really understand why atheists, et.al. start threads asking questions about scripture when they really don't intend on accepting any answer given to them or why someone (anyone) starts a discussion with the sole purpose of attacking another group of people and their belief structure.

Some people just need to prove they are smart by talking about how dumb others are. There are exceptions, and I actually enjoy arguing with them, but it seems that none of them are on this forum.

Look

If I wanted to start a thread on scripture, Ever answer you could possibly give would logically go against your very theology.

Don't believe me, try this on for size.

Referencing Mark 16:16-18, we have a method of distinguishing true believers of Christ from Charlatans and people that believe in nonsense about Jesus and christiainity. Please read all of Mark 16 to understand who is saying what.

Now there is an arguement out there that says only believers can be healed. But if that were the case, how Could Jesus, Peter or any of the other disciples heal people that did not know them first? According to the witness, it is apparent that a sick person that was healed by a believer did not know, then they were healed by a believer/Christ, then began to learn about Jesus. In other words, the healed did not properly understand the faith even after they were healed. They still have to learn it.

Another arguement says that Mark is mistaken, this is not a sign of the believers and Mark over stated an opinion. But if this is the case, then this leads to doubting the entire new Testament as truth. If Mark is mistaken or inaccurate, then what is accurate or true about the Testimonies, epistles and other statements in the New Testament. How can one be certain. Also, how could you tell what is true and what is false concerning what is assumed to be scripture?

Finally there is the case where it is apparent that you don't know the truth, only bits and pieces of it and it is not sufficient for salvation. Recall that in Mark 16:15 it is stated that only the true believers will be rewarded and unbelievrs are condemned. Mark 16:16-18 tells you exactly how to identify the true believers.

Are the signs of Mark upon you? Or are you talking nonsense. I am only using scriptures as the basis of this question

There is actually a lot of discussion about these verse in theology. I will point out that Jesus did not say this is a test for knowing believers, and trying to use it that way is completely off base. What he said was that these signs will follow the people that believe, and they do. There are accounts of miracles, speaking in tongues, casting out demons, and even being bitten by serpents and not being harmed that follow Christians all over the world.

Signs and wonders are a way that God shows that He approves of something, they are not a sign to determine who is a true believer.

Nor do I. Id rather have discussion and dialogue. Id rather see more uplifting and edifying discussions.

It is pretty simple. There is no God. Theist religion is based on deception. Deception needs to be called out.

People should stop basing their lives and their influence on the lives of others on fantasy and lies.

Calling bullshit on this lying and deception is a public service. We do what we can. We do not expect you to like it. That is irrelevant.

I think it's mostly boredom and poor upbringing.

How many times can you tell someone that there is no god, allah, etc?

I don't understand how insulting anothers beliefs will all of a sudden convince them that they and generations of their family have been fools.

It is pretty simple. There is no God. Theist religion is based on deception. Deception needs to be called out.

People should stop basing their lives and their influence on the lives of others on fantasy and lies.

Calling bullshit on this lying and deception is a public service. We do what we can. We do not expect you to like it. That is irrelevant.

So Matthew 7:12 (New King James Version)

12 Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Is a lie?

12 Therefore, whatever you want men to do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

Is a lie?

Not every word written or spoken by Christians is a lie in and of itself independent of your religion. The foundation of Judaism/Christianity is made up hogwash. You cannot mask it with a few statements based on common sense concerning how human beings should treat each other.

Is a lie?

Not every word written or spoken by Christians is a lie in and of itself independent of your religion. The foundation of Judaism/Christianity is made up hogwash. You cannot mask it with a few statements based on common sense concerning how human beings should treat each other.

Common sense?

The Golden rule used to be "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth."

I'm not a christain or anything like that. It's the anti-faith people that treat people of faith like shit, cuz they can, that truly piss me off.

Is a lie?

Common sense?

I'm not a christain or anything like that. It's the anti-faith people that treat people of faith like shit, cuz they can, that truly piss me off.

Do you mean "people" like the court that recently sent a woman away for ten years because she denied her child medical care that would have surely saved his life?

The problem with faith is that it is really just willful delusion. You can dress it up and slap lipstick on that pig but that is all it is. The main problem with the delusional is that they are incapable of knowing where to draw the line. They NEVER just keep it to themselves. They ALWAYS eventually just HAVE to spread the "good" word and try to infect the rest of humanity with their psychosis. Sometimes it ends up tragically.

The contortions of your post makes it hard to discern whether you are a believer or not and, honestly, have nothing to do with the point of my OP
:cool:

That its hard to tell what angle he's arguing is part of his charm in that post, imo. He's not arguing a point, he's arguing, I think, that given the different ways one can look at and interpret things, arguing is pointless. I would tend to agree with that.

Its fine to believe that you're on the right path for you. It is a whole other thing when you think you have the right, nay, the duty to make others walk that same path. That little bit is true from and for each and every spot on the spectrum of belief, non-belief, and differing belief.

Common sense?

Do you mean "people" like the court that recently sent a woman away for ten years because she denied her child medical care that would have surely saved his life?

The problem with faith is that it is really just willful delusion. You can dress it up and slap lipstick on that pig but that is all it is. The main problem with the delusional is that they are incapable of knowing where to draw the line. They NEVER just keep it to themselves. They ALWAYS eventually just HAVE to spread the "good" word and try to infect the rest of humanity with their psychosis. Sometimes it ends up tragically.

There's almost 7 billion people in the world. 1/5 are roman catholic. With that many people you are going to have some crazies.
For every crazed person you dig up and can find a group that do good deeds on a regular basis.

Spreading the word is an actual duty. Those people that knock on your door are doing thier duty and are honestly trying to help. But not all 'always' do so. My grandma, that prayed the rosary and even kissed the cross, never spoke about religion in mixed company b/c it was unexceptable and rude.

I know some people like to say "They are forcing thier faith on me!" It's non-sense since you can ask them to leave you alone, close the door and go on with your life.

Common sense?

There's almost 7 billion people in the world. 1/5 are roman catholic. With that many people you are going to have some crazies.
For every crazed person you dig up and can find a group that do good deeds on a regular basis.

Spreading the word is an actual duty. Those people that knock on your door are doing thier duty and are honestly trying to help. But not all 'always' do so. My grandma, that prayed the rosary and even kissed the cross, never spoke about religion in mixed company b/c it was unexceptable and rude.

I know some people like to say "They are forcing their faith on me!" It's non-sense since you can ask them to leave you alone, close the door and go on with your life.

I think you misunderstand the meaning of force. As in rape...there is rape and attempted rape. They are both crimes.

Sure some people "do good"....even atheists. I have donated my time at one of the local food banks and spoken on their behalf at a joint commission of the Seattle and King County Councils.

As I said earlier..doing good in one's community does not change the fact that delusion is wrong. Spreading delusion is worse. You nor your associates have the right to make up rules that make it your job to spread your nonsense. No one is under any obligation to accept that. It is the prime objective of all disease to infect as many victims as possible. The survival of delusion is of no interest to me.

The contortions of your post makes it hard to discern whether you are a believer or not and, honestly, have nothing to do with the point of my OP

That its hard to tell what angle he's arguing is part of his charm in that post, imo. He's not arguing a point, he's arguing, I think, that given the different ways one can look at and interpret things, arguing is pointless. I would tend to agree with that.

Its fine to believe that you're on the right path for you. It is a whole other thing when you think you have the right, nay, the duty to make others walk that same path. That little bit is true from and for each and every spot on the spectrum of belief, non-belief, and differing belief.
I truly hope that if I ever come across that way someone would tell me.
I try to only reply to specific points that are already brought up.
Whether someone is saying "There's no God and you're stupid for thinking such" or "There is a God and you're lost for not believing"----BOTH are bad form.
All the keyboard poking in the world isn't going to change either side's mind.
Now, when people like Jerk-OffReba make statements of what is or is not in the Bible...that's when I point out their error.

I am fairly new to this forum and I agree with Lumpy about the posting. Most people are very negative and insulting because they have perfect anonymity. I doubt seriously if they voice their slant opinion at Starbucks where someone might get in their face. That would take courage. People with a true faith do not attack non-believers. It is the non-believer who attacks our faith, I think in part, because they are afraid we are right.

I am fairly new to this forum and I agree with Lumpy about the posting. Most people are very negative and insulting because they have perfect anonymity. I doubt seriously if they voice their slant opinion at Starbucks where someone might get in their face. That would take courage. People with a true faith do not attack non-believers. It is the non-believer who attacks our faith, I think in part, because they are afraid we are right.

Oh, bullshit. My own mother, bless her heart, believes, and solidified that belief to my daughter, that those not of the Christian faith were going straight to hell when my daughter saw a billboard saying as much in Florida and asked about it.

My grandmother, a Catholic, was MUCH more inclusive of the rest of the human race. Not because she was a Catholic, mind you, but because she was, well, my grandmother, and perfect in every conceivable way. She was, too. That woman is the only reason I'm a deist and a heathen rather than an outright atheist (not that there's anything wrong with that either).

Piling delusion on top of delusion does not make you right. No one likes being told that they have been lied to their whole life by the one's they trusted the most. I cannot imagine the shock and disappointment if I allowed that reality to creep into a fantasy as comfortable as yours.

Image1-5.jpg

I don't really understand why atheists, et.al. start threads asking questions about scripture when they really don't intend on accepting any answer given to them or why someone (anyone) starts a discussion with the sole purpose of attacking another group of people and their belief structure.

Or why if they are not believer, they waste their time and energy attempting to change the mind of a Christian. I will not spend 1 second of my time on something I don't believe in. To me it is too funny watching the gyrations and waste of time in what Atheists do. They claim Christianity is a cult while not recognizing the cultish nature of their belief system. I say knock yourself out as you have too much time on your hands.

Image1-5.jpg

Same reason a guy puts a tomato tossing emoticon in his signature line, I suppose.

Forum List

Back