Really. Is Anyone Surprised?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
New All-Time Lows for Both CBS & ABC Evening Newscasts - mediabistro.com: TVNewser

TUESDAY, JUN 23
New All-Time Lows for Both CBS & ABC Evening Newscasts
Breaking: TVNewser has learned the CBS Evening News has once again set an all-time low last week with 4.89 million Total Viewers and 1.42 million A25-54 viewers. But it was also the lowest (since records began in the 1991-'92 season) for ABC's World News with Charles Gibson. The Gibson program drew 6.42 million Total Viewers and 1.77 million A25-54 viewers.

Both CBS's Katie Couric and ABC's Charlie Gibson were off last week.

More details to come...

> Update: Insiders tell us at least one network is looking into the continued impact of the digital TV transition which occurred June 12.

> Update (2): NBC averaged 7.75m Total Viewers Mon-Wed but on Thursday and Friday gave their program a different Nielsen code -- "Nitely News." (The correct spelling is "Nightly News"). This is despite the fact that the network had regular coverage on those days. We're trying to determine if the U.S. Open Golf Championship had something to do with the coding change. Had Thursday and Friday been included, the average would have been lower. On Friday "Nightly" averaged 6.29m Total Viewers.

> Update (3): An NBC insider tells us, even though the broadcast had full national coverage, the U.S. Open tends to affect viewership so the Thursday and Friday shows were not in the average. NBC says this is normal procedure.

> More: Evening News Ratings: June 15, 2009

Well ABC has the infomercial all day tomorrow. Should help, no?

(e) POLITICAL RECORD. –

(1) IN GENERAL. – A licensee shall maintain, and make available for public inspection, a complete record of a request to purchase broadcast time that –

(A) is made by or on behalf of a legally qualified candidate for public office; or

(B) communicates a message relating to any political matter of national importance, including –

(i) a legally qualified candidate;

(ii) any election to Federal office; or

(iii) a national legislative issue of public importance.

Section 399 [47 U.S.C. §399] Support of political candidates prohibited.

No noncommercial educational broadcasting station may support or oppose any candidate for public office.

Section 399B [47 U.S.C. §399B] Offering of certain services, facilities, or products by public broadcasting stations.

For purposes of this section, the term “advertisement” means any message or other programming material which is broadcast or otherwise transmitted in exchange for any remuneration, and which is intended –

(1) to promote any service, facility, or product offered by any person who is engaged in such offering for profit;

(2) to express the views of any person with respect to any matter of public importance or interest; or

(3) to support or oppose any candidate for political office.

(b)

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), each public broadcast station shall be authorized to engage in the offering of services, facilities, or products in exchange for remuneration.

(2) No public broadcast station may make its facilities available to any person for the broadcast of any advertisement.

Statutes and Rules on Candidate Appearances & Advertising

It's fairly obvious this ABC infomercial violates FCC Rules in about 5 different ways, but then again, who cares because these are the same people traded the word journelist for that of political promoters long ago.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
I guarantee he will spin this by saying "You have my word, this bill will only cover people who are in this country legally.

Then in six months 20 million alien intruders will be made legal.

Data on health care costs for illegal immigrants are sketchy because hospitals and community health centers don't ask about patients' legal status. In California, a 2004 study by the Federation for American Immigration Reform put the state's annual cost at $1.4 billion. Similar studies in Colorado and Minnesota in 2005 came up with much smaller estimates: $31 million and $17 million, respectively.

One thing is clear: Undocumented immigrants are driving up the number of people without health insurance. The Pew Hispanic Center estimates that 59% of the nation's illegal immigrants are uninsured, compared with 25% of legal immigrants and 14% of U.S. citizens. Illegal immigrants represent about 15% of the nation's 47 million uninsured people — and about 30% of the increase since 1980.
Rising health care costs put focus on illegal immigrants - USATODAY.com

“All veterans and their families are painfully aware of the uphill struggle to obtain medical services at Veteran’s Affairs hospitals and clinics. We have to provide a ream of personal, financial, and military documentation just to get “in” the system. Once the information is validated then we are informed what our “share” of the medical expenses will be. If we submit the information in March, and we lose our job in April, we have to wait a full year for the VA to reassess our co-payment. With past funding cuts it is not unusual for a veteran to have to travel across several counties to reach a VA medical center.

Meanwhile, the illegal simply presents himself to the nearest hospital for a complete smorgasbord of free medical services. This “squatter” enjoys all of the freedoms that the veteran has fought for, with none of the pain, suffering, or expenses associated with them…

The Florida Hospital Association surveyed 28 hospitals and found that health care for illegal aliens totaled at least $40 million in 2002! So you can see this problem is nation wide!
Illegal aliens Get Better Health Care Then US Vets! » The USA is Circling the Drain

What really amazes me here is that okay let's say we have a "public option" and do nothing about illegal immigration then the problem with healthcare costs stay pretty much the same. Otherwise, you issue these "public healthcare" cards no questions asked to anyone that wants them. I cant see how a proof of citizenship is going to be required to obtain health insurance through the so called "public option" So its pretty much a forgone conclusion that illegals will be covered under the "public option" one way or the other. Another way will be to do the so called "fast track" for citizenship option after the healthcare bill has passed to be able to enroll all the illegals not currently enrolled.

no data of illegals, legal immigrants or citizens can be taken at face value. Not from the right or left. It's all BS.

Regarding ABC's reporting from the "White House" today/tonight, I heard a valid point made somewhere this morning. Barack Obama, regardless how anyone might feel about him personally or politically, remains a top "draw" to network television (read: advertisers).

Another point, although I can't find any factual reference to this, there seems to be some connection between some of ABC's radio outlets and local TV affiliates to the Fox (News Group) conglomerate. On my local ABC affiliate, their "local" news is the same as that on the regular Fox channel. WABC in New York which carries the simulcast RFD-TV network, picks up the same news crawl as FoxNews and Don Imus on that channel now caters to the FoxNews talking heads almost daily (a definite change of heart for him).

Again, just supposition, but posted to perhaps quell the allegation that ABC is showing some kind media of "bias" to the left by reporting from the White House.

Regarding ABC's reporting from the "White House" today/tonight, I heard a valid point made somewhere this morning. Barack Obama, regardless how anyone might feel about him personally or politically, remains a top "draw" to network television (read: advertisers).

Another point, although I can't find any factual reference to this, there seems to be some connection between some of ABC's radio outlets and local TV affiliates to the Fox (News Group) conglomerate. On my local ABC affiliate, their "local" news is the same as that on the regular Fox channel. WABC in New York which carries the simulcast RFD-TV network, picks up the same news crawl as FoxNews and Don Imus on that channel now caters to the FoxNews talking heads almost daily (a definite change of heart for him).

Again, just supposition, but posted to perhaps quell the allegation that ABC is showing some kind media of "bias" to the left by reporting from the White House.

Maggie, I honestly don't have an issue with ABC broadcasting this infomercial at all and can understand it means ratings for them. However, I do think that ABC should comply with FCC rules and call this program what it is an advertisement in support of a position. If this were indeed a forum then ABC would invite opposing viewpoints to this program to engage in a debate. I see this as not different than say Obama appearing on Keith Olbermann or Rush Limbuagh appearing on Sean Hannity. One major difference though is that the latter two are cable networks and ABC is not.

That's your pitiful attempt to legitimize what ABC is doing tonight? State news has come to the US thanks to ABC. I won't watch their network ever again, regardless of what shows they put on. They are not allowing any rebuttal whatsoever, and people like you will defend that? Pathetic.

Maggie, I honestly don't have an issue with ABC broadcasting this infomercial at all and can understand it means ratings for them. However, I do think that ABC should comply with FCC rules and call this program what it is an advertisement in support of a position. If this were indeed a forum then ABC would invite opposing viewpoints to this program to engage in a debate. I see this as not different than say Obama appearing on Keith Olbermann or Rush Limbuagh appearing on Sean Hannity. One major difference though is that the latter two are cable networks and ABC is not.

Broadcasting from the White House isn't anything new anyway. Networks love to have access, regardless of the administration in power, because cable news dominates so much of the news cycle. In 2002, NBC did a side-by-side with the president on issues of the day for a 60-minute documentary too. And NBC just did a two-hour special "Inside the White House" peeking behind lots of usually closed doors, but also getting shut out from others.

This is, however, apparently a great opportunity for the RNC to do a drive for donations! See? There's always a rose just beyond that thorn!

Last edited:

That's your pitiful attempt to legitimize what ABC is doing tonight? State news has come to the US thanks to ABC. I won't watch their network ever again, regardless of what shows they put on. They are not allowing any rebuttal whatsoever, and people like you will defend that? Pathetic.

I'm not legitimizing anything. I voiced an opinion with a clear caveat that it was just that. Personally, I don't plan to watch it anyway--nor even record it because I have no doubt that the usuals will be out in full force tomorrow with their "side" of everything presented. They do have the capability on tee-vee these days to show someone's prior statement before someone repudiates that statment in real time, making it easy to follow along.

Network news ratings will continue to fall. The Internet has disintermediated the distribution of newsflow from the TV networks to thousands of distribution nodes.

Eventually, TV and the Internet will all be part of the same platform. There will be no difference between your television and your computer monitor.

okay kids...pay attention.....*holds up tv remote...points to a button* on.....off...on....off.....use it.

now for those of you who are real quick learners...*points to more buttons* these change the channel...
I do think ABC is behaving badly, irresponsibly, and dishonesty. However, we have more power than they do... Watch this! Use what you have or loose it.
Power.png

Forum List

Back