Really Good Meatloaf

This is my Dad's Meatloaf Recipe. Tis delish.

Dad’s Meat Loaf:

2 1/2 pounds ground beef
8 ounces tomato sauce
2 beaten eggs
2 slices of bread – cube or crumbs (I substitute Progresso plain bread crumbs )
Dried Parsley
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 onion chopped
1 teaspoon dry mustard
Pepper
Minced garlic
Diced mushrooms

Mix ingredients. Press into loaf pans. Bake at 350 for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Pour off grease and let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 2 meat loaves.

Note: I amp up the Worcestershire sauce and dried mustard a bit.

That sounds freakin delicious with the soy sauce and mushrooms.:clap2:

It is! I have a couple friends who actually request it for dinner parties. The leftovers make fabulous sammiches, too.

I don't think I put the right recipe up....it doesn't look right...I shall have to conduct a search at home...

milk in meatloaf?

i put eggs in mine....and go easy on the bread crumbs and would not consider putting fucking oatmeal in it....

kiss...keep it simple stupid

ground beef, lean, onions, soy, ground pepper, salt, Worcester, eggs #depends on how moist you want it....

i dont put ketchup in it

J'adore Fannie Farmer.

I have two - my old one from when I was in college and a newer edition owned by Mr. Boe when he was single.

Here's a whole list of recipes.

Meatloaf Recipes

On occasion I like to roll the meatloaf out in a rectangle (on wax paper), sprinkle it with cheese or layer it with fresh spinach thin sliced ham and Swiss cheese then roll it and pinch the ends, cook about 5 to 10 minutes longer than the recipe calls for. You can do the same with julienned veggies, mushrooms, capers, etc. Use your imagination.
My basic mix is ground beef, ground pork and ground veal, cracker crumbs or seasoned bread crumbs, salt and pepper, egg, onion and garlic, I simply experiment from there.
You can substitute breakfast sausage or ground Italian sausage for the pork and veal.

Ummmmm, just had an idea, use ground turkey or pork with beef chorizo. There's more than enough grease in cheap chorizo to compensate for the dry turkey or pork and it's spicy to boot! Roll it out, spread with refritos, onions and diced jalapeno with mild cheddar or jack cheese.
Oh and for the "breading" use crushed tortilla chips.

Last edited:

Meatloaf Recipes

On occasion I like to roll the meatloaf out in a rectangle (on wax paper), sprinkle it with cheese or layer it with fresh spinach thin sliced ham and Swiss cheese then roll it and pinch the ends, cook about 5 to 10 minutes longer than the recipe calls for. You can do the same with julienned veggies, mushrooms, capers, etc. Use your imagination.
My basic mix is ground beef, ground pork and ground veal, cracker crumbs or seasoned bread crumbs, salt and pepper, egg, onion and garlic, I simply experiment from there.
You can substitute breakfast sausage or ground Italian sausage for the pork and veal.

Ummmmm, just had an idea, use ground turkey or pork with beef chorizo. There's more than enough grease in cheap chorizo to compensate for the dry turkey or pork and it's spicy to boot! Roll it out, spread with refritos, onions and diced jalapeno with mild cheddar or jack cheese.

You are quite the foodie, Ringel. I had no idea -- thankies! What is chorizo, BTW?

Meatloaf Recipes

You are quite the foodie, Ringel. I had no idea -- thankies! What is chorizo, BTW?

Mexican sausage. You can get it cheap at any Super WalMart for a buck a tube. It literally melts when cooked and can be very spicy. Omit the jalapenos if you're not into "melt your mouth" as opposed to melt in your mouth. :lol:

My recipe sucks. My neighbor's is ambrosia but he won't share his recipe. What's the secret to really good meatloaf, guys?

meatloaf.jpg

There are several "secrets" to a really good meatloaf.

Use a combination of meats. Ground beef, Ground Veal and Ground Pork.
Use milk softened bread crumbs for tenderness.

I used the Lipton's recipe, it was good but not cohesive. Every piece fell apart. I wanted it to look like the picture but it wasn't as pretty a color.

When I make meatloaf I use a couple of pieces of regular bread, hold it in my hand over the bowl, then pour 1/4 C milk or so into the bread and let it soak in then squish it into the mixture.

Syren if your meatloaf is falling apart, add another egg.

When I make meatloaf I use a couple of pieces of regular bread, hold it in my hand over the bowl, then pour 1/4 C milk or so into the bread and let it soak in then squish it into the mixture.

Syren if your meatloaf is falling apart, add another egg.

I need to type up my recipe...its great!

Forum List

Back