Clinton Really? Did she just say that? What was she thinking?

320 Years of History

Gold Member
Nov 1, 2015
Washington, D.C.
I just clicked over to CNN to see a clip of Hillary Clinton speaking. She said, "America is great because America is good, and we have to make that true." That's truly what she said. Did she have too many cocktails in the "green room?" I'm not used to hearing her make such incoherently inane remarks.

Does not seem to be much comment on this post, so I will ask a question unrelated to the OP's intent. Concerning my post WTF! to which you commented, as I am silver and you are gold, may we post directly to one another and if so, and both parties are willing, how the heck is it done? I know you have that privy but doubt that I do as silver!?! Perhaps a moderator, currently moderating would care to weigh in?

I just clicked over to CNN to see a clip of Hillary Clinton speaking. She said, "America is great because America is good, and we have to make that true." That's truly what she said. Did she have too many cocktails in the "green room?" I'm not used to hearing her make such incoherently inane remarks.
:badgrin:

I wouldn't be surprised if she was drunk. Her drinking habits have people thinking she's an alcoholic.

What about her statement confuses you?

You didn't catch it? :badgrin:

Really? Okay, I'll explain.
  • If America is great, then making that be so has already happened; we don't need to make so that which already is so.
  • "America is great because it is good" is illogical for multiple reasons:
    • Circular: It's great because it's good, which, by implication, makes it great.
    • Affirming the Consequent: Though her remark isn't presented in the textbook "if-then" form, it's substance is that of "If P, then Q. Q. Therefore P." All she's done is discard the the conditional via the modus ponens technique which allows one to say the same thing without the "if-then."
Mrs. Clinton is a lawyer, which means she's well aware of what is a logically fallacious statement is. Why she'd make a statement as blatantly irrational as the one noted in the OP is surprising. Maybe she wasn't thinking about what she was saying? Maybe she thought nobody in the audience would notice? I don't know. I just know I was listening and I noticed the absurdity of the statement.

• If America is great, then making that be so has already happened; we don't need to make so that which already is so.
    • Circular: It's great because it's good, which, by implication, makes it great.
    • Affirming the Consequent: Though her remark isn't presented in the textbook "if-then" form, it's substance is that of "If P, then Q. Q. Therefore P." All she's done is discard the the conditional via the modus ponens technique which allows one to say the same thing without the "if-then."
Mrs. Clinton is a lawyer, which means she's well aware of what is a logically fallacious statement is. Why she'd make a statement as blatantly irrational as the one noted in the OP is surprising. Maybe she wasn't thinking about what she was saying? Maybe she thought nobody in the audience would notice? I don't know. I just know I was listening and I noticed the absurdity of the statement.
You really shouldn't have bothered. If camp didn't catch it in the OP, I seriously doubt he/she will appreciate the humor. Just saying. :)

Are you a Hillary supporter, Camp?
No, but I see her as the lesser of two evils. I would have supported Kasich but my preference would have been Huntsman. I interpreted her statement to mean that confirming America as good means always doing the right thing and confirming our goodness. A good baseball pitcher has to confirm he is a good pitcher to keep that status. Once his pitching begins to fail he becomes a used to be good pitcher.

No, but I see her as the lesser of two evils. I would have supported Kasich but my preference would have been Huntsman. I interpreted her statement to mean that confirming America as good means always doing the right thing and confirming our goodness. A good baseball pitcher has to confirm he is a good pitcher to keep that status. Once his pitching begins to fail he becomes a used to be good pitcher.
I had to ask. You were the one who seemed 'confused' about what she said.

You really shouldn't have bothered. If camp didn't catch it in the OP, I seriously doubt he/she will appreciate the humor. Just saying. :)

I know....I knew when I saw him/her ask what "confused" me. Confusion isn't at all the emotion I felt upon hearing Mrs. Clinton's statement.

Truly, once one has gone through the detailed explanation, the humor of it is lost if you ask me.

It's not about Mrs. Clinton. It's not about whether she's the lesser or greater of two evils or two goods. The thread is about exactly what the OP and title say, nothing more and nothing less. The thread is about the inanity of one thing she said. I was merely incredulous that she made such a truly stupid remark. For whatever anyone thinks about Mrs. Clinton, she's a very smart person and she rarely says things that are outright ridiculous.

Hillary was caught saying something she didn't believe, again! In other words.... she knew she was lying when she said it.
More BS from the mouth of Hillary.

It's not about Mrs. Clinton. It's not about whether she's the lesser or greater of two evils or two goods. The thread is about exactly what the OP and title say, nothing more and nothing less. The thread is about the inanity of one thing she said. I was merely incredulous that she made such a truly stupid remark. For whatever anyone thinks about Mrs. Clinton, she's a very smart person and she rarely says things that are outright ridiculous.
You think way to highly of your ability to interpret what you think you heard. Your subjective interpretation is just that, a subjective opinion. As far as my response about whether I supported Clinton or not, that is just what it was, a polite response to an unsolicited question. STFU with your bossy attempts to moderate or lecture about how a thread works. Just because you started the thread doesn't mean you are a boss with unhindered control.

Hillary was caught saying something she didn't believe, again! In other words.... she knew she was lying when she said it.
More BS from the mouth of Hillary.

I don't know about that. That statement was just too stupid to draw any sort of conclusion about. About the most I'd say about it is that it was just "air filler." Some folks say "ah" to fill the air. Others say "um." Mrs. Clinton went with "America is great because America is good, and we have to make that true."

You think way to highly of your ability to interpret what you think you heard. Your subjective interpretation is just that, a subjective opinion. As far as my response about whether I supported Clinton or not, that is just what it was, a polite response to an unsolicited question. STFU with your bossy attempts to moderate or lecture about how a thread works. Just because you started the thread doesn't mean you are a boss with unhindered control.

When I'm the thread creator as I am for this one, I'm by far the best person to attest to what the thread's point/topic is intended to be.

Lol, dude this isn't quantum physics, omg...okay here goes, America is great because America is good..."people!"....good people. And she's also saying that Trump isn't good "indirectly" It just flew over your head i guess, have a drink and untie the knot in your brain lol.
7f6114189200377d1a8da5b36469e0e5.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using USMessageBoard.com mobile app

Lol, dude this isn't quantum physics, omg...okay here goes, America is great because America is good..."people!"....good people. And she's also saying that Trump isn't good "indirectly" It just flew over your head i guess, have a drink and untie the knot in your brain lol.

Red:
Perhaps yours is a good suggestion, for the the statement she made on its own doesn't make sense to sober minds.

I think she just had a momentary lapse, or as suggested in the OP, a cocktail too many. I'm more surprised by the fact that she made such an incoherent remark and did so at a rally than anything else. There's nothing more to it than that as far as I'm concerned, but it is uncommon for her to do that.

Red:
Perhaps yours is a good suggestion, for the the statement she made on its own doesn't make sense to sober minds.

I think she just had a momentary lapse, or as suggested in the OP, a cocktail too many. I'm more surprised by the fact that she made such an incoherent remark and did so at a rally than anything else. There's nothing more to it than that as far as I'm concerned, but it is uncommon for her to do that.
Lol [emoji574] see that? There goes that jumbo jet that flew over your head...again! lol. Let it go while you're still behind lol [emoji2]

Forum List

Back