Realized My Biggest Problem with Obama

She sounds like a treat. Not relevant to reducing abortion, though.

If the issue is to reduce abortion, then the democrats would seem to have a good plan in place to do so. Provide resources for pregnant women who cannot afford a baby, reduce poverty and increase jobs so these women are empowered to choose life in the first place.

The republicans on the other hand need to turn out the base. Why would they give up their golden promise (which they have not yet come through on)?
I would argue that :
1. reducing taxes and government regulation is what is the best way to reduce poverty;
2. encouraging family values instead of Hollywood values would reduce sexual promiscuity, thus unwanted pregnancies;
3. strong families and local charitable organizations are better equipped to provide resources than a bloated federal bureaucracy.

perhaps, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, you're seen as a troll because of your posts? I've read several by you that if you didn't clarify to me you hadn't decided I'd swear you were a hard-core McCain supporter and general republican apologist.

I don't see things as black and white, which seems to be an issue here where you're supposed to line up on either side, and then just rant without pointing to a lot of facts. Last election I voted for Kerry for Pres, but voted GOP for Congress.

I like Republican objectives - limited gov't, balanced budget, etc, but think the Dems are better at actually delivering on these things, even though their campaign rhetoric wouldn't suggest that. Also agree with Dems on military cuts and abortion rights.

And I still haven't heard a Republican explain why economic conditions - job creation, stock market returns, were orders of magnitude better under Clinton than they have been under Bush.

That said, Republicans are more fun. They can make jokes about things, and not treat every little snail darter joke as seriously offensive, hence some of my comments about the silly Palin bashing, and the odd attempts by Obama to cover up his Muslim middle name when one of the biggest compliaints against him has to do with his Christian pastor.

Sorry, I just don't fit into the Hannity/Olbermann right-left battle the media tries to squeeze everyone into, flame away if that bothers you.

And your problem with Barrack is that you are a racist. LOL. Maybe?

Exactly my problem with Obama supporters. Say you support the guy, but don't agree with him on every issue, and it's time to pull out a shameful "ist" comment. Only suggests that you don't know much about the issues, and need "ist" insults to cover this up.

saying that they've decided to vote republican .

LOL

I said I was probably voting Democrat. Can you read?

Instead of trying to characterize everyone as one way or another, you'd be better off trying to understand that lo and behold, different people can have different reasons for supporting the same candidate.

Reagan fiscal policies involve cutting the federal tax on the average family down from 12%, which is incredibly high.

Federal tax on the average family now is 6%. To keep up with Reagan's policies we have to borrow money from CHina.

there's no more fat to cut from that bone.

Reagan fiscal policies were successful.

Agree, they were very successful. But so were Clinton's. Different economic policies work at different times. Adding 6.6 points to the top tax rate in 1993 was not damaging like some thought, economy was fine, and the budget was balanced, albeit with some help from Newt Gingrich killing every spending bill he could get his hands on. Had Clinton added 40 points and taken the top tax rate over 70%, might have had serious problems.

Reagan fiscal policies involve cutting the federal tax on the average family down from 12%, which is incredibly high.

Average doesn't say much though, because wealthy people pay a lot more than that, and low-mid wage earners get crushed, because even if they don't pay any income tax, they still pay the full social security tax.

I am trying to make the point that reaganomics may have worked in a 1980 climate but that we have a different set of economic variables on the table now.

is the Obama supporters

watching the convention last night, became clear I am closer to Obama than McCain on most of the big issues, don't like the higher taxes, but also think it's the only way to reduce the deficit

but the Obama supporters need to chill out, really can't stand the way they pounce on every little news nugget about Palin or McCain, they way they hypocritically go into a rage about troopergate, yet have lame explanations for Whitewater, Biden's Plagiarism, Obama's Rezko connection, and they're so humorless about everything

some of the Mac supporters do the same on their side, but they have a lot more self-control

he loves me he loves me not he loves me he loves me not.............

"A vote for McCain/Palin is a vote against Polar bears."

is the Obama supporters

I am so there with you on that. I hate hero worshippers.

watching the convention last night, became clear I am closer to Obama than McCain on most of the big issues, don't like the higher taxes, but also think it's the only way to reduce the deficit

Spot on.

but the Obama supporters need to chill out, really can't stand the way they pounce on every little news nugget about Palin or McCain, they way they hypocritically go into a rage about troopergate, yet have lame explanations for Whitewater, Biden's Plagiarism, Obama's Rezko connection, and they're so humorless about everything

When they're acting like neo-cons? Truly disgusting

some of the Mac supporters do the same on their side, but they have a lot more self-control

I'll credit McCain for being a stand up guy, as I will Obama.

But some of their self appointed volunteers and supporters are totally over the top.

They have BOTH made it very clear that they do not like this politics by ad hominen attack.

Still, much thanks to the media which simply loves dirty laundry (esecially if it involved sex in any way shape of form) our political process is an embarrassment to every decent American on BOTH sides of the aisle.

I am trying to make the point that reaganomics may have worked in a 1980 climate but that we have a different set of economic variables on the table now.

Agree completely. Part of the issue back then was Jimmy Carter's economy crushing 70% top tax rate. No question now though, that the only way we'll balance the budget is with tax increases on high incomes. Not that earning money is bad or something that should be punished, but that Republicans refuse to cut entitlements or defense, and can't cut interest. Not enough left over to cut after those 3 categories to make a difference. Mac's earmark propaganda has only reiterated his comment that he doesn't understand economics.

Nothing wrong with reinstating the 39.6% top tax rate. However, if Obama lets it rise to the mid-40s by adding back in the Bush tax cut expiration, it'll start to get close to Jimmy Carter territory. But Congress will probably hold him back a bit, even the Dems.

Federal tax on the average family now is 6%. To keep up with Reagan's policies we have to borrow money from CHina.

there's no more fat to cut from that bone.

There's plenty of fat to cut. I would argue that most programs not specifically enumerated in the Constitution should be cut deep, if not entirely eliminated. For example, the IRS and the Dept. of Education.

in terms of programs, i don't know what's enumerated in the constitution. Is military spending?

Agree, they were very successful. But so were Clinton's. Different economic policies work at different times. Adding 6.6 points to the top tax rate in 1993 was not damaging like some thought, economy was fine, and the budget was balanced, albeit with some help from Newt Gingrich killing every spending bill he could get his hands on. Had Clinton added 40 points and taken the top tax rate over 70%, might have had serious problems.
I don't agree with that at all, unless there is a major war or something. Economies thrive on stability and fairness. Clinton did well by not messing with Reagan's policies until later in his term. Why should someone who's rich pay a higher percentage then someone who is not?

in terms of programs, i don't know what's enumerated in the constitution. Is military spending?
It's not a very long or complicated document. I suggest that you read it. Here's Article I Section 8 that enumerates exactly what Congress can do with the People's money.

Section 8

Clause 1:

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts
and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and
general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and
Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

Clause 2:

To borrow Money on the credit of the United States;

Clause 3:

To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States,
and with the Indian Tribes;

Clause 4: